PDA

View Full Version : Transom water inlet?

Frank
03-24-2001, 08:36 PM
I have a 1987 18' classic. What is the general purpose of the hose connection in the transom? And, can I connect a hose to it and run the motor when the boat is of the water?

DonziDave
03-24-2001, 10:55 PM
The intended purpose of the connection is to be able to flush the raw water coolant system with fresh water after running in salt by a direct garden hose connection instead of using "ear muffs" on the foot.
However I haven't had the "nads" to try it because I'm skeptical of whether the impeller in the foot gets adequate lubrication with the water running in the opposite direction. I really hate changing those bastards!
!! WARNING !! Personal Experiance
The "tee" connecter in the raw water supply hose is notorious for malfunction and can cause serious overheating problems. Inside the connector is a spring loaded one-way valve that has a tendency to stick or pick up debris that can restrict or block the water flow. I started having overheating problems and changed out 2 perfectly good impellers before thinking about looking at this connector. I found the valve stuck about half way closed so I removed the spring and valve, put the gutted connector back on and have had no problems since.
Dave

Christian
03-25-2001, 07:23 AM
hi,
the stern flush is usless unless you run in fresh water. we have an 86 18 and run in salt. there is a spring that rots away. when running the boat in the water the spring closed off water to engine and motor got hot. take it off and chuck it! we flush the motor with merc muffs on the drive

BigGrizzly
03-25-2001, 07:28 PM
I have a bypass in one boat, Put the hose to it and run the engine, works great.mI do the fresh water thing. My Corsican has a manual one,You turn it to keep water from going out the pickup. This only works with outdrives that don't have a impeller in the lower unit.

Randy