PDA

View Full Version : Wondrous Woodies at Mt. Dora

pmreed
03-24-2001, 06:34 PM
Man, what a show!! We all know Donzis are classics, but so are a lot of those oldies. I can certainly see myself at the helm of a 26 foot, triple cockpit Chris Craft or Gar Wood tooling around the lake. I can't see myself with sandpaper and varnish brush in hand though....maybe an 18 foot Riviera or Gar Wood Comet...hmmmm.

Saw three Donzis there, 2 sixteens and an 18 Classic. Told a 16 owner about the Portofino substitute get together and he said he'd like to attend. He didn't look that Italian, so I don't know if he plays bocce. Guess I should have asked.

What a pack of Jersey Skiffs there were. I don't know how my boating education left them out, but what a blast those bombs are. They must have a strong organization as there were a bakers dozen and more. They look scary as h*ll taking 60 mph turns and bouncing all the way through the turn. And a vertical steering column to boot! sort of like driving a T-bucket rod.

All in all, a very worthwhile experience. Highly recommended to those of you out there who appreciate nice boats. If you're reading this on the Donzi net, then that's you.

'Til next weekend,

Phil