PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs

jeffg
07-16-2002, 10:47 PM
need help fixing trim tabs on 1995 classic 18, when I move switch for bow down nothing happens for about 30 seconds, pump is working as voltmeter registers drop, after that they work fine

MOP
07-16-2002, 10:58 PM
I would lean toward a bad solinoid, you can switch them to see if the problem moves. Don't let things jump out on you, balls and springs!

MOP
07-17-2002, 06:17 AM
Any sort of fitting leaking will leak trim fluid in the bilge and cause tabs to retract by them selves, these systems are pressure on or pressure off super simple.

blackhawk
07-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Am I missing something here? You should be able to put a volt meter on the output side of the selenoid and have someone hit the switch and measure voltage. If you have voltage the selenoid is working.

MOP
07-21-2002, 09:17 PM
Not true on the solinoids on bennets and also on K planes do basicly the same thing. The solinoids can be working just fine the problem is the balls and springs below getting debris under them or in rare instances the springs colapse or break. I just found a broken spring on a buddies 32 unifilite. The solinoids are identical even though color coded red and green they both do the same thing so you can switch them to see if the problem shiftd side to side. Believe I have installed and serviced thoudsands of Bennets. It is an electric actuated hydraulic system, electric is just half of what you are looking at. If they suck air they will also leak fluid. When you install a new set you cycle them three or four times and all the air goes into the resivour then you top off again with the tabs fully up.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-21-2002, 09:32 PM
From a none wrench turner (me):
If they are Bennetts the customer service is superb, they will 2 day any part with a phone promise to return the old up to 5 years I believe.
Their techs trouble shoot while your working the issue, toll free.
Secondly I have seen one just hang up, have someone hit the switch and pull down, but if both are failing this post probably does you no good. Just thought I would share...
When ours quit it was a not so clean/tight connection on the ground wire(pump was not running).
Wiring diagram is available on their website.
Good luck.
Bryan