PDA

View Full Version : Ist Run of the Season 105mph!!!!

GEOO
03-24-2001, 02:54 PM
That's wind in my face. Just got back from a two hour boat ride, it's cold out!!! 45 deg.
Boat ran great, hit 80mph @ 5200 rpm's in a 25 mph head wind, with a 1 foot chop. A little short of the 6000 rpm goal, need to take some pitch out of the prop.
She was solid. No bow searching or chine walk. But with all the wind, I found myself crouching lower and lower in the seat, tucking my knee's under the steering wheel. It was almost impossible to glance at the gauges.
What a rush, everything else in the world stopped... all I could sense was, the sound of the wind, with the roar of the engine in the back ground; the tingling of my scalp as the wind tug against my hair; the tighten of the skin on my face from the pulling of my cheeks, the chatter of the hull though my seat from the rapid cresting of the one foot chop and the taste of the salt filled air.
WOW, I'm having a moment here!!
I'm glad it's spring. My eye's are tearing..
The new cooling system work great.
Had a couple of drops of oil in the bilge?
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gif GEOO

GeneD
03-24-2001, 08:13 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the man! And the new Donzi Registry Hero!
A couple of questions though...
1. With the head wind, don't you think you will be going over 85 MPH when it is all said and done?
2. Why is the pitch too big you think? Weren't you running the same prop last year? I agree, like you, that a lesser pitch will increase the RPM's, but how much speed will result in that? Aren't you running that multi million dollar prop? How much for a new one?
Regardless, glad you got the thing running, oil in the bilge aside. You'll get that worked out.
Congrats! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

green16
03-24-2001, 08:37 PM
Way to go GEOO!!!!

GEOO
03-24-2001, 09:11 PM
Gene, Hum, I didn't try down wind??
I had the prop worked on over the winter to straighten the blades and add more rake to try and get more bow lift. When they did the corrections to the blades the prop went from a 23.5 to a 25 pitch. The shop told me to bring it back if the pitch was too much. All the work cost $ 75.00.
The engine makes peak power at 6000-6200rpm's. I would like to rev her 5800-6000. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 03-24-2001).]

boldts
03-24-2001, 10:53 PM
Geoo,
Very impressive!!! Do you think smooth glass water at Cumberland will up that 85 MPH mark even more? That had to have been one heck of a thrill ride today. I'm really getting the itch to get the bottom wet on my Donzi. Might be a few more weeks though. Still working on a few improvements before starting her up.

Scott Boldt

GEOO
03-26-2001, 05:00 PM
????? Different?? GEOO

Blewbyu
03-26-2001, 07:26 PM
Damn!The bottom is upside down!The rudders look like modified centerboards,the props are big enuf for a tug,and the Arnies look like EARLY models!How 'bout that steering!!!!
Does it plane?Scaryyyyyy!

ALLAN BROWN
03-27-2001, 08:22 AM
GEO, ALL OF THE SURFACE DRIVE GURUS ARE FIDDLING WITH EXTREMELY LOW PROP IMMERSION. ONE BENEFIT IS A BETTER THRUST ANGLE AS YOU RAISE THE ARNESON. WITH YOUR TINY BOAT, I WOULD JACK THAT SUCKER UP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS (YOU MAY NEED A TRAILER HITCH BALL BOLTED TO YOUR SEAT IN ORDER TO STAY IN THE BOAT. I RECOMMEND THE 2" SIZE) HARRY SCHOELL IS RUNNING AS LITTLE AS 25% DISC IMMERSION, WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS.

BROWNIE

GEOO
03-27-2001, 08:33 AM
Brownie,

Good Idea!!! I only have two hours on the engine, so I can't play at full throttle yet. I just tried it for a 30 sec burst a few times. Once I have 10 hours on her I'll play with the tuning of the EFI and the trim. Thanks,
GEOO

GEOO
04-04-2001, 07:56 PM
OK, Second run of the season. 4 hours on engine. Still have small oil leak??? Engine temp, oil temp and oil pressure all are stable. O2 sensor is bad, making engine go way too rich, turned off open loop on MPI engine. Ran a few quick WOT with GPS 87.2, 86.8, 88.6mph. Engine RPM's up to 5800. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif.
I don't think I'll run her again until I replace the O2 sensor. Engine's run great and fast when lean; then they blow!!! Without the O2 sensor I cannot monitor the A/F ratio, just have to rely on the base fuel map. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 04-04-2001).]

GEOO
04-08-2001, 06:27 PM
Well, the O2 sensor was not reading correctly because it was wet!!! I checked the manifolds and found water sitting in them. After further testing I've concluded reversion is the culprit. . I'm going to convert my pipes to become dry. GEOO