PDA

View Full Version : Original Ford Identification

glen
07-12-2001, 03:28 PM
I just bought a '69 Donzi 16 basket case that I plan to restore and I am trying to identify what I have for power. It is a small block Ford with Volvo outdrive but I am not sure if it is original because it looks as if there is a previous set of engine mount holes in the stringers that are no longer used. This engine has a cast oilpan with the forward mounts cast into the pan. Is that how the original Ford installation came from the factory? How can I tell a 289 from a 302? Any suggestions for an exhaust system for a small block Ford?

jaroot
07-12-2001, 05:35 PM
hmmm a 289 from a 302.. no tellin what you have spinning around inside of the block... a 302 crank, rods and pistons are interchangable with a 289's.. just swap guts in the block and whala you have a 302. you can check head castings.. the 289 / 302 conversion occured about 1968 for ford. ford used engineering casting numbers to denote year of design release not date of manufacture... but anything pre C8 (1968) would be a 289 casting.. would look something like C8XX-XXXX C denoting 1960, 8 denoting 1968. Also under the valve cover if i am not mistaken 289 should be embossed if they are 289 heads. it'd be located between the rocker pedastals and pushrod guides. the intake should also have an engineering date code on it in front of the carburator if it is original ford production. Short of actually popping a head and measuring stroke (2.87 in vs 3.00 in) it is difficult to tell if it is a 289 or 302 but the date codes should give you a fair idea... as long as everything has been kept the same. Small Block Fords can be a real mystery... later 302's those from the 70's and later are easy to identify... different valve covers, rocker arms, front covers, balancers, water pumps and for roller motors... firing order... if you want a fair idea of motor year.. check the engineering codes though...