PDA

View Full Version : Engine door latches

Ralph Savarese
03-24-2001, 02:47 PM
I am having trouble finding the engine door latches for my 66 2+3 it has the three engine doors like GeneD'S . Perko don't make them anymore the dimentions are 2" x 21/8"
GeneD what did you use? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ralph

[This message has been edited by Ralph Savarese (edited 03-24-2001).]

BERTRAM BOY
03-24-2001, 03:38 PM
Ralph,
Can you post some pics? I have some spare latches from and early 2+3, but it was a single hatch.
BERTRAM BOY

GeneD
03-24-2001, 08:04 PM
Ralph, Ralph, Ralph...
Where did your mother and I go wrong????
Did you forget my never-ending search for the orignal latches? It was my nemesis.
I was finally able to find the original makers, Gem...but alas, they were crap and I sent them back. In fact, I remember me comparing them to something made in metal shop in high school.
I finally ended up with some run of the mill latches that looked antique.
Uh, I guess we could send you some pics of mine. I encourage you to look for something that you like that is functional.
I ended up filling in the cavities from the old latches and just drilling holes for the new ones.
It is not what I originally intended, but they are functional and look cool.
Good luck is all I can say. If you do find something that is similar, you will be the only one.
I never did have the originals, if I did, I may have opted to have them re-chromed.
You have my sympathies big fella!!!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 03-24-2001).]

Rich
03-25-2001, 08:40 PM
Ralph,
My '66 triple hatch has the original hardware that was made by Perko (Perkins Marine Lamp & Hardware Corp.). Unfortunately, Perko still makes this item but in a different size. Even my 1971 Perko catalog shows the current size. Do you need the whole thing? If not, some of the parts from the currently made size might fit.
BTW....Give me a call.....I'd like to see your boat....631-689-0342
Rich

GeneD
03-25-2001, 08:53 PM
Sorry Rich, I already checked that out. No go. Yes, you are right in that it looks similar, but it is a different size. Again, Gem makes the right size still, but they look like crap.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida