PDA

View Full Version : Phil Reed bought a boat!!!

Tidbart
07-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Congratulations on the new 22. Ranya gave me the good news. Too bad you'll miss Sarasota. Have fun in Maine, AYUH.
We'll gladly help you launch it, anytime.

Bob and Ranya

Woodsy
07-16-2002, 09:20 PM
WAY TO GO PHIL!! Which one did you get? Inquiring minds want to know... should I be sending an "anniversary" card? Anyway, Congrats..

Bob & Ranya... sorry for the delay, but thanks for coming up to visit! You & Ranya are always welcome to come stay with Nancy & I! It was great to see you!

Woodsy :D :D

pmreed
07-16-2002, 11:07 PM
You betcha...a '99 22' Classic is coming home to roost. Passed on the anniversary Blackhawk, though it's one of the coolest boats I've ever seen. Seems like the basic boat is the best for me to start with. Good shape, 250 hours, 502 MAG, Bravo 1, tabs, and a black stripe right down the middle!! My deposit goes out in the mail tomorrow morning, and I'll be sea trialing and closing the deal next week.

Many grateful thanks to the Poodle who helped all along the way. Thanks Scott.

I'll being thinking of you guys in Sarasota this weekend while I'm fulfilling familial duties going to a wedding in Maine. I certainly have something exciting to come back to!! :D

Phil

boldts
07-17-2002, 07:58 AM
And so it begins.... Donzi-idus has struck the Reed household. Beth and I purchased a 98 22' Classic this past April. She can't get me out of it, even when it's sitting on the trailer in the driveway. Not because there are problems with the boat, but because we both love the boat so much! Nothing like racing to beat the sun going down on a glass smooth lake with the thru hull at full song and the bow just floating as if on clouds in the sky. Even the Checkmate's, Baja's, Formula's, HydroStream's, Glastron's, STV's, and others give you a thumbs up. Often copied, but not duplicated... The Donzi Classic! :)

CrackerJack
07-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Haven't heard from you for awhile.
Way to go Phil.

pmreed
07-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Took my check ride yesterday with MadPoodle along...some things to do on the boat, but the seller and I agreed on a price and finalized the deal :D . Today, out again for familiarization and driver's ed; Scott again providing instruction!! Biscayne Bay was a real treat; it's quite apparent why he hangs out in Miami. Thanks Scott for your and Heidi's hospitality...made everything easier and more fun. Back home in Orlando now and a 22 Classic sure looks big in my driveway eek! .

Phil

Last Tango
07-28-2002, 10:52 PM
I'm excited for you Phil! That 22 will be a LOT of fun. And who better than Madpoodle to help you with the "commissioning run" in Biscayne Bay. Can't wait to see your new baby!

Tomahawk
07-29-2002, 06:30 AM
Hey Afternoon Reed - congratulations on the 22. Great boat. How about bringing it up to Lake Eufaula for our Labor Day weekend blast? A neat place to get familiar with your boat. Anyway, enjoy your new boat Phil.

Jamesbon
07-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Congrats Phil! Sounds like a nice rig. I know you're a happy camper now :D

ToonaFish
07-29-2002, 08:52 PM
And the Master of Mooring received a score of???

Congrats Phil, on the new ride... Poodle, what other gems do you have stashed underpaw?

Bunches,

Celene 'Pearson let one get away'

pmreed
07-30-2002, 01:03 AM
The Poodle slipped that 22 right up on the old bunks first try. I would have taken a shot at it, but I couldn't drive the truck and the boat at the same time. I'll be dropping it in and retrieving soon enough; my dock builder will be here tomorrow to size up the new lift requirements. What I've got now is fine for a 1500 pound jet boat but not for the new addition.

Driving the boat up from Miami was no problem, trailed right along behind me at 70 mph as stable as could be. The only downside is that I got 11 mpg in the Durango while hauling. Still, I only average about 14.7 with nothing behind it.

Funny thing happened when I stopped for gas. Thought I'd fill the boat at the same time and so I pumped gas 'til the pump stopped. It wasn't near enough to fill, so I kept pumping and it kept shutting down (14 gallons brought me to 1/2 full, Scott). I wasn't pumping that fast, but it kept locking up anyway. There didn't seem to be any restriction at the air vent, but I did notice that a little spray of gas came out the vent just before it started shutting down. Think I just got a fluid lock in the vent line? Too many people around to treat them to me trying to wrap my lips around that vent so I could blow it clear :o . I'd hate to think I'll have to spend half an hour at the pump for a fill-up.

Scott, I'm going to have to mortgage the house just to buy the parts to handle page one wink ; I've already started, but don't you think it's a little soon for the Whipple and the gold prop eek! . Seriously though, address please for the tie-down strap return; picked one up today along with a new winch strap and many other assorted goodies.

More to come guys including an entry in the Registry, but I need to go polish something, or take something apart, or put something on, or maybe check the nav lights in the dark or...

Phil

Tidbart
07-30-2002, 06:25 AM
Phil,
If you've got fuel coming out the vent, maybe the tank is full and the gauge is off.
Give me a call after you get it ready.
Bob

pmreed
07-30-2002, 08:32 AM
Bob, When I first tested the boat the gauge read full, and the "previous" owner said he had topped it off that morning. Between the sea trial and the familiarization run the next day, I ran the boat at least 5 hours, maybe closer to 6 and the gauge read about 1/4 to 3/8 full. Most of our running was at 3000 to 3500 RPM so I figured we had to have used 30 to 35 gallons over the two days. We'll see next time I get to a gas pump.

That'll be sort of a problem here. With the boat up on a lift and no gas dock on the lakes, it's all hand-carrying gas containers to the dock (200 yards from the driveway). I've got a garden wagon but it's still all hand work. It'll keep me in shape :) !!

Phil

boxy
07-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Phil check out overtons (http://www.overtons.com) they have a great portable gas tank/pump.

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/large/31249L.jpg