PDA

View Full Version : DO I need a custom trailer for a stepped hull boat

bboersma
03-24-2001, 12:44 PM
I am going to buy a 99 Z22. I was instructed that because it has a stepped hull I need to get a customized eagle trailer($3600). Is this true?

roadtrip
03-24-2001, 01:56 PM
YES! Steped boats need steped trailers. I have owned several. Reason is; you want the entire hull supported for stress during towing and storage. If your trailer only has one set of bunks, chances are there will be a portion of your hull that will not be supported. Unsupported boat fiberglass does bad things like cracking, changing shape, and hooking.
As for Eagle. At that price, take a look at MYCO and Hoss trailers, the experts in bunked trailers.
Also, be sure that you buy enough trailer to get the whole boat on the trailer bunks. No sense in spending money for that fancy step just to have the back develope a hook because it's hanging over the edge.
Finally, multiple bunk trailers can be a bear to launch off of. Make sure you back the boat in deep enough to clear both sets of bunks or you will knick your step.
Enjoy your new boat and spend the money on the trailer to preserve it. good luck, todd

Frank Civitano
03-24-2001, 02:02 PM
NO.. I have a 22ZX Load Rite Has a Trailer for a Stepped Hull That works great! I built mine with Rollers in the Front for Easy on and Off with Bunks in the Back. You can get bunks in the front and back. But I found it easier to get the boat on and off the trailer. My Tandom trailer cost 2200 complete. Remember if you get a painted trailer. Salt water will kill it Quick. Alluminum is your best number.

------------------
Frank Civitano

Frank Civitano
03-24-2001, 02:07 PM
The No was for an Eagle Trailer.. Every Trailer Company makes a Trailer for a Stepped Hull. Galvanized or Alluminum. I travel with mine all over the East Coast so I went for the extra weight.

------------------
Frank Civitano