PDA

View Full Version : Gas and more...

Surfer
07-16-2002, 08:32 PM
I get fine brown sediment in my fuel filter. Can anyone tell me the best (safest) way to flush a tank? Do any of the additives help / hurt, if so whats the best. The problem isn't real bad yet. Thanks

MOP
07-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Check around to see if someone you know has a refilter setup. I have used two big Racors with two high capacity piggy backed electric pumps after the filters (outlet). I think you get more out of the tank with the junk in suspension, I used 1/2 inch soft copper to be able to work through the gauge opening, you need peen the tips inward making them rounded so you don't gouge the tank while poking around. Basicly leave a little fuel in the tank, put the out line to the high end of the tank move it side to side put the inlet in the low end move them back and forth to wash all the junk to the low end. Take your time it will do a good job. Its a good idea to use clear tubing fairly long, you can see when things clear up and give you freedom of motion.

Surfer
07-17-2002, 03:06 PM
What about gas additives or an empty tank cleaner / flush?

Moody Blu'
07-17-2002, 03:36 PM
heh, I used an unorthadox approach OUT OF THE WATER to clean my gas tank of the junk in it...

I used a impeller type pump that you connect a high speed drill to.

I know I know I shouldnt have used a electric drill to pump out the gas, but the pump is sealed and I used about 10 feet of garden hose attached to one side of the pump and that ran into the top piece of the fuel pick up(I had loosened the fuel pick up so it was removeable)- I also used a extra long pick up line so the pick up would reach the bottom of the tank(the pick up was about 11/2' long, so it stuck out of the tank by 6 inches..

Then the outlet of the pump was connected to another garden hose which was about 6 foot and then it went into a plastic gas tank.
Now if you happen to have a air compressor on hand and a air drill that may be safer, but if you dont the electric drill isnt that unsafe, besides I left the drill in the "locked" position and I stayed in the cockpit of the boat and I was constantly moving the pick up up and down in the tank to cause a disturbance(I actually let the pick up suck in air and then would plunge it back in the gas to get that extra vaccum)

One more TRick I used when doing this, is that you have to do it repetitively......

I sucked all the gas and junk out of my tank about three times.
you ask how I did it?

well, the plastic tanks that I used to "dispose of the junk/gas in my boat gas tank was RECYCLED!

yes thats right, I put steel wool in the spouts(from the inside of the spouts) as to FILTER out all the junk.

You would not belive how much junk I filtered out, and I didnt waste money buiying fresh gas for every "refill" of the gas tank.
I just used the same gas over and over.

I did change the steel wool that I stuffed in the spout of the gas tanks occasionally, because they kept getting clogged with junk.

If you can afford to do this "fluching" with new gas every "flush" then go right ahead.....
maybe you can use the gas for your cars or something.....

oh ya, you can find the drill pump I am talking about at your local automotive store like napa.

it was only 8 bucks, and once you buy it youll be able to use it for oil changes too!!!!!!

I hope this helps...