PDA

View Full Version : New Upper Gears in Blackhawk

Greg Maier
07-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Well, I got the verdict from the mechanic. I broke off two teeth on a gear in the upper end of the Blackhawk Drive. The drive wouldn't go into gear because the the clutch was trying to grab the gear where the teeth were missing. The mechanic told me that it was probably caused by the drive reentering the water with to high an rpm. He told me that I basically need new upper half gears. He did say that mercruiser makes gears for both gas and diesel engines for the Bravo. The diesel gears are supposed to handle a higher load. He told me that he normally puts them in any Bravo that has to handle 400 HP or more. I remember several occasions, when I first got the boat, where I let the engine rev when I left the water and it was overrevving when I entered the water. So, this damage is probably my fault. He said that normally, the drive gets torn apart when a tooth breaks off, but mine looks fine, probably lucky. He is charging me around $900 for the new upper gears, and $350 for the labor, does that sound reasonable?

blackhawk
07-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Greg, that sounds reasonable to me, especially for labor. But there is a service bulliten on the pinion gear, upper gears and clutch assy. Service bulliten 2001-17. It says not purchase these items seperately but to order the "package". It is suppose to shift much better and the gears are suppose to be stronger.

Woodsy
07-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Greg,

There is a service pack based on the age (serial no.) of your drive. All sorts of upgraded components. They just rebuilt Waleye's BlackHawk using this "service pack". Do not just replace the gears... you need the whole assy...

Woodsy :D :D

Greg Maier
07-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the advice ! Has anybody heard of Diesel gears for the Bravo. The mechanic said that they are designed for the higher torque diesels and are stronger. He said, if I remember correctly, that they are deeper cut than the gasoline gears and they are shot peened.

MOP
07-16-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi I poked aroud http://hlsm.com/ found diesel gears listed might want to check that out. :p

blackhawk
07-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Woodsy is right, replace with the service pack! It is more expensive but there are a lot of updates. It is basically any Bravo/Blackhawk pre 2000 that should have it. I just had my Blackhawk rebuilt and they received a fax from Mercruiser saying DO NOT install the seperate components. Install the service pack, or upgrade kit, whatever you want to call it.