PDA

View Full Version : banged up drive skeg

roadtrip
03-24-2001, 09:36 AM
Ok, looking for a little advice here. I've been out a couple of times recently and when I get the 22 back on the bunk trailer, I've had a fresh scratch or knick on the skeg. There has been a lot of stuff in the water due to our lakes refilling after two years of drought, but I watch for it. I know normal wear and tear does some of this, but I would like to avoid it. Question? How high do you trim your drive up when running back up on the trailer? Maybe I've been dragging the skeg through the mud. I do run the boat up onto the trailer slowly, instead of cranking it on. On my previous boats, the skegs were spotless... Thanks for the feedback, Todd

Forrest
03-24-2001, 12:14 PM
How high you run your drive up when driving your boat back on the trailer is entirely dependant on depth of the launching facilities. The higher you run you drive while trailering, the less thrust and contol your have. There is one ramp near me that I never drive the boat on - even at high tide. I learned the expensive way with a good prop hitting rocks and concrete. At this ramp, I just back the trailer back far enough to float the boat on and then use the winch for the last few inches. Saves lots of $$$ that way!

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 03-24-2001).]

roadtrip
03-24-2001, 01:39 PM
Thanks Forrest,
I will try the old fashioned crank it on method next time. I have been told in the past that raising the drive too high when trailering puts undue stress on your gimbal and I agree with the loss of control issue. Kinda wish somebody built a trailer tall enough for these boats that would make it more difficult to plant the drive...
Hey, are you coming to the AOTH? Hope to meet you there. Todd

Bryan Tuvell
03-24-2001, 10:59 PM
ROADTRIP... I sink both trailer wheels, float her on through the guides, pull the bow line by hand, latch the clip about a foot out, crank her up by hand.
When I hit the ramp the first thing I do is trailer trim her, tabs up. I lost a skeg last year, the new one is on, the marina did a very nice job on the new one, looks original. The negative to my method is the saltwater is hard on trailer bearings which I found out last week when I had my new trailers wheel checked/redone. Another $125 bucks.
Skeg cost was $136ish for the skeg and labor.
Hope this helps...
Bryan