PDA

View Full Version : Paging jamesbond

Cuda
07-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Hey Nate, I may have a line on an ASD. Thinking about getting it. Do you know how they will handle with a single? I've heard they are tough to maneuver in tight quarters. I hate having to do a "controled crash" into the dock each time. All of a sudden, I've become fascinated with the idea of a surface drive. I am thinking of putting it in my 20 foot Formula. It currently has a 350/330 with an Alpha drive. My thinking is I could remove the alpha and have it for a spare on my 242. Which tranny did you go with?

MOP
07-17-2002, 06:32 AM
There is some really good info and photos in the technical section, fourth item down, should be able to get pointers from owner. There are several in my area that hang at the local watering hole, they sure don't seem to have any docking prob's even when they are past the page!

Forrest
07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
You don't want 'em . . . they're just awful Cuda . . . expensive props, controlled crash docking, ugly spay at speed, and so on . . . but let me know if you come across a pair with drop boxes at a decent price.

Jamesbon
07-17-2002, 10:55 AM
Right on Forrest :D

Cuda,
GEOO has one on his 104mph 18, and I've heard it handles like it's on rails. I've never driven one, but will accept any and all consequences it has to offer. Like yourself, I'm fascinated with them as well. Apparently they're worth 7-10 mph over a conventional sterndrive. And to boot, they use external hydraulic steering and trim. It's a no brainer in my opinion.

I saw 302SR1/Bill (from OSO) at Shell Island this wekend. He loves his surface drives. He did add that they're a drivers drive, meaning he used to let his grand mother drive his twin Bravo boat, but doesn't let her get near his twin surface drive boat. Also, MarkGT has one on his 21 GT. He could probably offer more info. than I on the single screw set up. MarkGT? Care to add any insight? We're all ears.

I hear they don't push the bow up when getting on plane, they just ease the boat up as speed increases. Bill/302SR1 says his twin will cavitate when getting up on plane, then all of a sudden they hook up real good. I've heard this from others as well. He also said that backing wasn't as positive as a stern drive due to the propwash being pushed against the transom. But when docking, you're not moving fast anyway. I can't imagine any driver with half a brain crashing docks with an Arneson.

It seems that most people use the Borg Warner Velvet Drive or also known as the 72C, which is apparently a bullet proof and readily available trans. Also rated for 450 or 500 HP. Not too shabby for a stock hydraulic trans. For higher HP, I believe BAM marine will custom build you a real heavy duty 72C. I think Chris/CDMA has one.

If you switch from the Alpha to the Arneson, you'll need to re-glass your transom, or purchase a bolt on extension box from Arneson which negates the need to re-glass the transom.

Other than the backing thing, which I take rather lightly, I've heard nothing but good remarks about these drives. Apparently they will also last a lifetime with little or no maintenance.

I have a LH Rolla 3 blade 17x19 prop which may or may not work well with your 350. If I don't sell it before then, your welcome to test it. I'll be starting with a 15 X 27 or 28 4 blade cleaver.

There's some great info. on them here, and a bit more on over on OSO. Just do a search Arneson and be prepared to sit and learn for a while.

I would applaud your efforts in the conversion and help in any way I could.

I'd be glad to take a look at your prospective purchase with you, and can assure you, my lips would remain sealed.

We can chat more in Sarasota this weekend, or keep this thread going here.

Cuda
07-17-2002, 04:22 PM
I was talking to my father today (who btw is the smartest man I ever met) about the idea of the arneson. I explained what they were and the challenges of adapting one to use in my boat. I could see his eyes light up, thinking about the engineering that would go into this project! If he were just a few years younger, I could pull my boat over there, drop it off with the drive and the tranny, then come back and pick it up finished in about a month. That is one of the reasons I was thinking of doing it. It gives him a challenge to work on mentally, even if he can't do all the physical work like he used to. He's 75, and I want to do some more father/son bonding like we used to when I was first buying junk cars that we constantly had to work on.

They guy that has the ASD has a potential buyer, but he said if he doesn't get the cash by Monday, it is back for sale. Any idea what the box that bolts up would cost? My boat has a hook in it which tends to hold the bow down, so that may be a drawback for the ASD.

Jamesbon
07-17-2002, 08:22 PM
I like the way you think Cuda. I'm looking forward to my parents return this winter...

The extension box was around $1500.00. You bolt it onto the transom, then bolt your drive and trim & steering rams to it. It simplifies the whole rigging process, as it's pre drilled to accept your drive, steering and trim rams.

Getting rid of the hook is a piece of cake. Well, kinda, it just depends on what you're willing to go through to get there. In fact, I just finished "squaring up" my bottom tonight. I have to admit though, my hull is upside down in a warehouse which helps tremendously. You need a straight edge, grinder, filler, fiberglass and resin. In a nutshell, you use the straight edge to determine where "concaveness" is in the bottom, then mark it. Next, rough the area with a pneumatic grinder or sander and 24 or 36 grit sanding disks. Then fill with Duraglass or fiberglass mat, (Duraglass is a glass reinforced filler) and a final layer of finish cloth to seal it all up. Then smooth and gel or paint. I suppose if you pushed the boats stern off the trailer a bit, you could work on it upside down.

GEOO's project caught my attention years ago, I started e-mailing him and so forth an so on, then a year or so later CDMA hooked me up with a guy selling an ASD, now I have succumbed to the sickness, and love it!

MOP
07-17-2002, 09:00 PM
I used to service an early ASD single with a 390 Ford hooked to it. It was not a hot one in any respect. I found the backing down issue was not as bad as I had been told, I would drop the drive full down and use very little throttle. Our service docks were pretty tight had no trouble getting it in any where.