PDA

View Full Version : help with intake

smokediver
07-11-2001, 07:07 PM
I was wondering if an aluminum intake will hold up in salt water. I want to convert my 1998 16 to a 4 bbl. Any suggestions?

------------------
better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Jamesbon
07-12-2001, 07:58 AM
Apparently it's not recommended. I did it for years with no problem, however the intake water passages showed major corrosion. A lot of guys run'em down here in the salt water, but you'll have to keep an eye on it after a couple years.

Maybe you can find an aluminum "marine" intake which utilizes bronze crossovers?? That would be the ticket.

smokediver
07-12-2001, 03:15 PM
Hey , thanks for the info. I am going to do a little looking around

------------------

Murphy
07-12-2001, 08:15 PM
Buy cast iron and you won't have to worry about it. Try this site... great prices and service. Get a stock GM cast iron high rise dual plane and you can use the carb of your choice.
http://www.paceparts.com/

Murph

smokediver
07-13-2001, 07:22 AM
thanks for the info murph. i am going to give them a call

------------------

Kikwear
07-13-2001, 09:05 AM
I’d like to change over to a 4bbl someday too. Is there anything other than the the intake and the carb? How do you correct the A/F ratio? Wouldn’t it run really rich under WOT?

------------------
1997 Classic 16 5.7 Alpha One
White with red stripe

Captain's Call coming very soon...

jaroot
07-13-2001, 09:45 AM
kikwear,

read back a few posts through the last month or two.. i just did this to my 350... intake, carb, flame retarder, throttle bracket (i have an extra btw, brand new in box), fuel line and a set of roller rockers. do a holley or a quadrajet... and the air/fuel ratio is adjusted by changing jets in the carburator.

Kikwear
07-13-2001, 10:31 AM
What kind of gains did you experience? What was the damage report $$$ ? Happy with the new setup?

------------------
1997 Classic 16 5.7 Alpha One
White with red stripe

Captain's Call coming very soon...

jaroot
07-13-2001, 11:02 AM
kikwear,

i got 55 1/2 out of it the other night and i believe there is more in it if i get the prop repaired and i need to work on the jetting a bit more. she gets right up and goes now.. acceleration is sometimes a bit nerve wracking if you are in a chop... also want to swap ignitions and see what happens... i probably could have trimmed it out a bit more and picked up another 1/2 to 1 mph... went from 4400 rpm at wot in stock form to about 47 - 4800 now. spent ooooh 145 on the edelbrock performer intake.. 300 on holley carb, 50 on fuel line for carb (had a braided fuel pump to carb line at work so that was free), 15 on felpro gaskets, who knows what on assorted carb parts i didn't already have and are pretty much needed if you want to really fine tune a holley correctly you can get away with just jetting most times and maybe a discharge nozzle... parts for a holley... ie springs for secondaries, accelerator pump cam assortment... discharge nozzles, jet kit, gaskets (non stick), fuel bowl bolt teflon gaskets .. fuel bowl baffles, clear sight plugs, secondary quick change kit... and also had to get a throttle cable bracket which was about 40 from rex marine. k&n flame retarder was around 50... the rocker arms were 191 bucks from comp cams... they are 1.6 ratio rockers so they give you .024 in more valve lift over stock 1.52 ratio rockers. reckon it could have been done cheaper than i did it but i'm happy with how it all went.. didn't run into any issues really... But... if you want to go fast... money has to be a small object...