PDA

View Full Version : Alpha info/ '95 -Classic 18

Sagbay32
07-11-2001, 04:36 PM
I was going to take a test run on a used classic 18 for sale and it died while they were warming it up. The service guy said they turned around at about 30 mph and it felt like it went into neutral and then it would not go back in gear. I waited around until the mechanic came in to take it apart and he pulled the lower unit and said that the shaft failed. The boat was brokered, but they were running it so the would have to fix it. Should I continue with the transaction? It is very clean and the owner said it had 45 hours on it ('95/ 350 mag).
The mechanic was very straight forward with me and had no problem letting me watch the whole tear down process.
Any info appreciated.
Mike in Michigan

Riley
07-11-2001, 05:34 PM
Hi Mike, hey if I were you I think I'd pass on that particular boat. Is there an hour meter in the boat to verify the owners claim of 45 hours? That seems like a really low amount of usage for a 6 year old boat. I bought my 99 new last summer and with moderate usage I'm at 54 hours right now. Maybe the owners estimate of use could be off? I find it kind of hard to believe an Alpha spun by a stock 350 Mag would fail after only 45 hours. Unless of course they 45 REALLY INTENSE hours, or the outdrive never received any maintenance.

There are a lot of other Donzi's for sale in Michigan, I think I'd keep looking. Good Luck!

Chris in Northern Michigan

Sagbay32
07-12-2001, 12:23 PM
The outdrive appears to have had a skeg welded on recently. The only thing I am worried about is what other things could be wrong with the drive if it was run aground. I have heard that the s/s prop is not forgiving at all when it comes to running into objects. If they fix the shaft will the rest of the lower unit be ok?

Mike... debating purchase in Michigan

jaroot
07-12-2001, 12:49 PM
just saw a 1992 22 classic for sale in the local auto trader. it's in Carleton, Mi... which is North of Monroe about 20 minutes. Guy wants 25,000 on a tandem trailer with a 502.

Sagbay32
07-12-2001, 01:00 PM
Hey Ja
You trying to tell me to hang this one up or what? This is a 95 / 18 with a 350 mag I talked the owner down to $16,000. The boat is just about spotless too. What do you think about the price?

jaroot
07-12-2001, 02:03 PM
if they are going to replace the sterndrive and warranty it i might go for that if it is on a good trailer and clean like you say. i dont really trust things that have been repaired once, like sterndrives.. especially if they;ve been grounded. tough on gears, shafts, housings and couplers. Depends on what all you plan to use it for and where... inland lakes or bigger water? In the add it says the 22 is immaculate, i guess i'd believe that when i saw it... but for now i'll stick with the 16... as much as i'd love a 22 and a big block it isn;t very practical on smaller lakes...

Sagbay32
07-12-2001, 05:15 PM
I talked to the marina today and the mechanic showed me what happened to the drive. I then talked to the owner and found out the drive was new and the owner had hit the sand (no dings in the s/s prop). it broke the verticle shaft off at the bottom. The gears look perfect as do the rest of the parts. I am still interested if it runs out ok. The zinc diode thingy's are clean as well. I think I am bitten by the Donzi bug on this one. Somebody stop me!
Mike

Tony
07-12-2001, 08:25 PM
Don't stop! If you are trusting the mechanic (and owner) I would say 16k is a pretty fair price for a '95 in good shape. Is White Lake near Fenton? I grew up skiing on Runyon Lake and still have family there. Welcome to the board and good luck with your decision.

Flash
07-12-2001, 08:38 PM
If it was me buying, I really wouldn`t be too concerned with the drive issue if everything else looks real clean. I have blown up many Alphas,and sometimes this like this happen! You could find the best one around and blow the drive the next day. Just my .02

Sagbay32
07-12-2001, 10:42 PM
Hey people,
thank you for the comebacks. Hey Tony I am about 15 or so miles south of Fenton. I too have reletives in the area. They live at Lake Fenton I think (not real close family). I have lived here for 4 years, moving from Saginaw Twp. I still miss Saginaw Bay though. If I make the move to the Donzi do you think I will have any problems with the big water? I am supposed to test drive it tomorrow night to see if I like it. I hope I know what I am getting myself into with such a shallow draft boat.

Mike

BigGrizzly
07-12-2001, 10:55 PM
My sister has a 16 its bin inthe family since new in 1966, a 18 Corsican and a 22 Criterion, and I feel they are all nice for small lakes.They handle differently the 16 and 18 are slightly more nimble for wake jumping and easier to load and un load. the 22 is more confortable at higher speed. the 22 draws about 4 inches more water at sitting. There is the difference as I see it and I still have the boate to compare to each other.

Randy