PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Idea

Murphy
03-21-2001, 09:42 PM
Check out this website.http://www.bbracket.com/products.htm
This company makes what look like some very nice aluminum swim platforms. They are all aluminum and can be powder coated in a variety of colors. It's hard to see in the picture, but the outside brackets actually function as ladders. Very cool.I'm sending him the dimensions for my 22 Classic. He indicated the price would be under $1k, probably in the $800 range. I was thinking maybe if we approach him with a multiple order, even if it was mixed sizes, he might give a volume discount. Anybody who wants me to look into it, please respond to this thread. I'll be happy to communicate with him on our behalf once I know if or how many people are interested.

Murph

Dr. Dan
03-22-2001, 07:28 AM
Murph, I think they look great, I have a 22 classic & I'd consider putting one on it as long as it's as well made as the poodle says.
It's virtually impossible to get into the boat from the water with out risking scratching up the sides, problem with a platform is that your boating guests get a false sense of security to crawl over the engine hatch, which is just not designed for that kind of traffic, they'd have to straddle the air scoops on the edge of that area,which is still more do able than carrying a ladder or bolting one to your transom. It's the lesser of the two evils & it looks cool, I'd need one in teal....Doc

seano
03-22-2001, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys,

I ordered one of Mike's platforms for my 28SS and should have it in about two weeks. I saw his platforms on four boats where I keep mine and they are incredibly well built and the powerdercoating holds up perfectly as well. I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of mine and would recommend BBRacket's products to anyone.

just my .02

Sean

Dr. Dan
03-22-2001, 12:37 PM
Seano, very cool, how do you go about ordering? Catelog or what. I'm thinking this might just be "the cats meow"...Doc
Never mind, I emailed them, I'll let you know.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Dan (edited 03-22-2001).]

seano
03-22-2001, 02:41 PM
Doc,

Email doesn't work...I tried that route...you'll need to give 'em a call and ask for Mike Brittain.

Sean

Dr. Dan
03-22-2001, 06:33 PM
Seano, thanks I'll do that!...Doc

Peter Beck
03-23-2001, 07:31 PM
Murphy I have been shopping for one for over a year. I found one very similar but pricey. I would be very interested in purchasing one and I am sure my 22’ would look great with it on.
Thanks
Peter

AGUESS
03-24-2001, 08:01 AM
All of the talk about these are for 22' Donzi. What about a Classic 18? What do you think, would it look ok.

Alex.

Dr. Dan
03-24-2001, 09:23 AM
I did receive an email correspondence from the co. and it sounds like they custom fabricate these, he asked about transom angle and beam size. I think its a combination of looks and function. If you're going to be skiing or in and out of the boat from the water, you need to take into account the wear(scratches) on the gelcoat by crawling in and out. Also the safety of a more solid platform is nice when your preparing to ski, or come back on board.
If these guys are as good as Madpoodle says, I'm sure a custom colored platform would compliment any size Donzi.

Murphy
03-25-2001, 11:12 AM
Sounds like there is a fair amount of interest. I'll contact the company tomorrow and ask if we can pool an order and get a break. So far, looks like we're talking about at least one 18 and three or four 22's. Call me nuts, but here's what I've been thinking about how to handle the problem of crossing the hatch area. I'm a woodworker, so I'm going to build a small platform about 24-30" wide. I'll fasten curved pieces to the bottom to match the radius of the back of the seat rise and the back deck where the lifting hook is. These areas are pretty strong and the support will distribute the load. The lifting hook can be used to keep it positioned and stable. I'll pad the curved supports and make the platform rigid enough so as not to touch the hatch when someone's standing on it. 3/4 marine ply should do it. Might use mahogany to keep it classy looking. I'll use penetrating epoxy to seal the whole thing and put non-skid on the top. With the platform mounted at the right height, you should be able to step right onto this piece and walk to the cockpit without scratching the deck or falling off the side. I'm thinking I'll make some fasteners to strap it against the back seat inside the engine compartment when underway. May sound extreme, but for us swimming, skiing, etc. is a big part of our water fun. I'd like to have my cake (DONZI) and eat it to (keep the family happy). I imaging that you could get something like this built to match the swim platform. All you'd need to provide would be the end radius and support info. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!

AVickers
03-25-2001, 01:01 PM
Murph,

I, too, would like to get a platform for my 22' Classic. Make mine BLACK. Any idea about what the cost would be?

al

Dr. Dan
03-25-2001, 05:07 PM
Avickers, the gentleman that emailed me indicated about $1000, for my 22. I'm sure if Murph can convince them that our "Web of Donzi Madness" is for real, & we could put a sizable order together,there might be a slight benefit, I think if there were a lot of each hull type. They would just maintain the patterns for our Donzis,and do production run of 22,18 or 16 platforms. But as we all know there are a just a few variations on design especially on the early models. So it may be that its just as well to do a platform for each specific case.

Peter Beck
03-25-2001, 07:24 PM
One idea I was thinking about that may help the slipping problem once getting out of the water is to have a custom pad made the would snap to the engine hatch. It could match the interior of your boat. The only thing it would not help support and load on the hatch.

Dr. Dan
03-26-2001, 06:13 PM
Alright here's the deal, spoke to Bruce Harrison today at B Bracket,800.966.3313, he says that each application is "Custom" for each boat. They are not set up to do them any other way. Measurements needed will be the beam, transom angle(using a protractor device on bottom of boat to transom for an accurate reading),size of boat and obviously any special features that would need to be taken into account. They require 50% down cash or card, and will do the balnce on a card or ship it COD Freight collect. The completed platforms are packed and shipped on pallets(AAA-Cooper)the freight will be collect regardless of the transaction monies. About a month turn around time on average, freight will vary based on weight and distance.... Good Luck...Doc

[This message has been edited by Dr. Dan (edited 03-26-2001).]

avanti
03-27-2001, 07:24 AM
There is another company in Miami that could build your platforms by the name of Stainless Marine. They just built a twin engine outboard bracket with platforms for my 33 Avanti and did an awesome job. They also have a web site.

Murphy
03-27-2001, 06:52 PM
OK, Well it looks like my element of surprise is kind of lost. I was hopeing to present these guys with a package deal for 6 or 8 platforms and negotiate a club discount. It's worked before. Dr. Dan, since you appear to have taken the lead at this point what do you think?

Murph

RickR
03-27-2001, 08:18 PM
I am not interested in a swim platform for a Classic, but for you guys that are;

How much does it weigh?
Where are the mounting points?
Will it drag when your comming up on plane?
How are you going to lift up the Bravo to service the U-joints and gimball?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Dr. Dan
03-27-2001, 10:03 PM
Murph, Sorry about the surprise,this guy was the gentleman who returned my email and because I travel alot, and don't carry a lap top, it was quicker for me to just call the dude. I have not placed an order and would consider being part of a "Club" order,right now I was just doing some fact finding. If it's worked before, I say go for it. Let me know and again I apologize if you felt like I stepped on your toes, that was not my intent, let me know...Doc

Murphy
03-28-2001, 07:35 PM
No problem Doc. As it turns out, maybe it was good you called. When I spoke with BB today they were pleased that they'd been contacted twice. The owner is definitely open to the idea of a club discount. Can't say how much until he has an exact count. He told me the platforms weigh about 40 lbs. Note on the BB website listed in my first message that the platforms are mounted pretty high on the transom in the pictures. This may be to avoid dragging in the water as Rick points out. From what I can tell on the technical drawing, the mounting brackets have substantial contact areas meaning the load will be distributed well. With proper backing plates it will be fine. If you have to work on the drive, the platform can come off. The original range he gave me was $800 -$1000. I'm thinking something like a 15% discount, (good gas money) but no guarantee at this time. Please confirm your interest here by April 6. No backing out please once you jump on board. On April 9 I'll contact him with the number of platforms involved. I may need to provide sample 18 and 22 dimensions initially to get a price. I'll coordinate this with one of the 18 owners. After that, I'll make sure each buyer gets a spec sheet so you can provide your own custom measurements and color preference. Once a discount is confirmed, each buyer will work direct with BB on specifics.

Anything else to consider, let me know.

Murph

Dr. Dan
03-29-2001, 12:11 AM
Very Cool, that's great, just let me know I am definitely in. Thanks Murph! ...Doc

Peter Beck
03-29-2001, 06:36 PM
Thanks! I will be off the board until the sixth of April but when I get back I will check to see if anything has developed.At this time I am very interested.