PDA

View Full Version : price for a 68 18footer

briley
07-15-2002, 07:25 PM
there is a 1968 classic 18 that is in fair shape. Has not been in the water in 5 years and I think the motor is seized up. What would a fair price to both parties be. I'm not interested in stealing the boat, but I also don't want to over pay as I know I will have plenty of expenditures ahead. Also what should I be looking for. This is the original owner.

oldLenny
07-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Less than 5G are my thoughts...is there a trailer?...is the really motor seized?...does it have all ORIGINAL hardware?,...what motor does it have?...is that motor original?...painted or original gel-coat?...how is the upholstery?...what drive?...V-drive, Volvo/ Holman Moody?,...IS IT A BARRELBACK?...or relatively horizontal rear deck/hull joint at the transom?... Hull number please...should read, C18-XXX (behind center of rear seat, riveted foil tag, or black felt pen on inside of dash by instrument cluster, could also be a glassed in foil tag on the upper inside transom but I doubt it)

Looped
07-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Back a year and a half ago I picked up a 1966 18 Classic (I thought it was a 1969 at the time) for $1,500 that had been sitting around outside & uncovered for a good 6 years or so. It too had a seized motor and still has the nasty white Penta 250 hanging off of the back. The only hardware that I will/can use are the 4 engine vents that will be re-chromed, the rest I can get close to original or like most of it, it will be new up to date parts that I have gathered. If you get a chance to look at the boat again before you decide to buy it or not check on the backside of the dash of the passenger’s side (if it is still a left handed driver) to see if you see black felt tip marker writing. Mine was written backwards (mine is 18-103) because they wrote the Hull Identification Numbers on the inside of the first layer of fiberglass that shows up backwards when you look at it when you have your head stuck down under the backside of the dash.

The more I disassemble this “project” the more I find that it’s in better shape than it first appeared that keeps me going. When I went pick it up on Long Island, NY I was told that it was a 1969 2+3 and then once I got the NY registration a couple of months later it said it was last registered in 1996 and it stated that it was a 1967. Later on after I found the HIN numbers (18-103) and comparing them from a 18’ Classic owned by Bertam Boy (18-105) he told me that the build date was in December of 1966 for his 2+3 making mine weeks or so older. After hearing more and more info about the Barrelback Donzis, it seems like they only made them from late 1965 – early 1968 and keeping them as unregistered “new” donzis in there storage facility area and sending them off to Dealers as ordered. This may explain why we see a mismatch of Barrelback & non Barrel-back Donzis sold from the years of 1968 – 1970.

Good luck!
Craig