PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Geeks!

harbormaster
09-12-2002, 10:33 PM
I have had some complaints about the instructions that I have provided to ya'll on posting photos. I need more feedback besides "I cannot get it to work". I will not say who they are , but there are a few (eddie) people (eddie) who (eddie)are (eddie)having (eddie)problems. Maybe I am just too close to the process. There are a bunch of people out there that seem to have it down.I need a couple of volunteers to brainstorm and come up with fool proof instructions on how to upload photos and post photos. I have documented it till i am blue in the face. Thanks

Gritz
09-12-2002, 10:49 PM
MASTER,
I found when I was having trouble earlier today that I had modified and "saved as" and for some reason the files were saved as bmp files. When I got them back to jpg there was no problem.
On the subject however, I tried to overrite some old uploads (trying to conserve your server space) and had no luck doing so, but I know I have done it in the past. Is there a way for us to delete uploads after they have served their purpose?

harbormaster
09-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Sorry man,
you cannot delete files. I do appreciate thew thought though.

Extreme Measures
09-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Scott I'm sorry about the problem with the uploads I'm sure that I'm to blame for it.I'm still learning how to upload my photos.I just might e-mail this one to you to post for me of my Donzi girl remembering the fallen comrades killed in the terrorist attacks one year ago. Thanks Scott
Extreme Measures

Paul Storti
09-12-2002, 11:42 PM
I have an idea, since I don't post pictures all that often I have to go to the upload page and cut and paste the format to put it in my reply, maybe you could add an upload and insert photo section to the "post a reply" page...

Cuda
09-12-2002, 11:58 PM
The main problem I had when first trying to upload was I didn't name the files BEFORE I uploaded them. I thought I could upload, then name it. Piece of cake now that I got that through my thick skull. :rolleyes:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-13-2002, 06:04 AM
HARBORMASTER;
I think the directions are fine, I too had problems initially but it was becasue I didn't follow the directions, operator error.
I think they are very clear.

I keep a text (.txt) file on my desk top with the code line in it so it is readily available, I just have to edit the photo name, select all, copy, paste in my post.
Bryan

Scott Pearson
09-13-2002, 06:07 AM
The hell with Fast Eddie...He need to worry more about learning how to drive his new Black Hawk then uploading photos.

Plus he is getting old....I was at his last birthday and i'm sure he was turning 70 or 71...not sure.

(NJ)Scott

MikeMiller
09-13-2002, 06:59 AM
I can get my photos to post but what I can't do is have them show up right under my text - you normally have to click on the link to see the photo.

What's the magic?

BTW, you're the best Harbourmaster - we're not worthy!

Formula Jr
09-13-2002, 07:24 AM
Harbormaster, your instuctions are clear and easy to follow to anyone that actually takes the time to really read them. But with all these people uploading 200k plus pics though, maybe its a good thing some people can't figure it out. With all the animated gifs now showing up in the Avatars, along with all the off site emoto-cons, from congested servers, the site is slowing down to a crawl for me and I suspect anyone else limited to a 28K modem connection is feeling the same thing. There are some threads I simply can't open unless I wait seven or so minutes....

I know....whine whine whine whine whine ........................ :D

P.S. Mike M. Rephrase the question === no comprenda.

FJB20
09-13-2002, 07:24 AM
I think I've got the posting down -- But the Size
of the Photo - Some members get two on a Page etc.
Mine are too big any you have to move the bars to see it all THANX!!!!!!

harbormaster
09-13-2002, 07:45 AM
Mikey,

Add the following under your text to display your photo.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/photopost.jpg

This is the way it always is. If worse comes to worse, type this in your word processing program. When you need to post, go to the word processing program and copy it. Then past it into your post changing the photo name.

As far as photos go, those of you scanning your photos, need to make sure you crop off any white border around your photo.

As part of the services I provide, I will always resize photos that I think are too big or crop photos with too much white border on them. I would rather have them too big than not at all.

When people have problems getting their photo to show up in a post it is usually because they did not type the line of text exactly the way it needs to be. There is no room for error.

harbormaster
09-13-2002, 07:52 AM
Oh yeah,
Owen,

Sorry Bud,
You're the one who decided to live like a Grizzly Adams. Not much I can do for you. You really should try to get some sort of Broadband connection up there.

waleyetwo
09-13-2002, 08:48 AM
IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS BUT AFTER YOU DO IT A FEW TIMES IT IS EASY. eek!

McGary911
09-13-2002, 11:11 AM
I've found it pretty easy to post my pics by following the instructions. But then again I support around 40,000 computers for a living, so I'd better be able to do it :) . I can offer a few hints tho...

Use the harbormasters naming convention. All my photos are called jmcgary#.jpg (# is the pic #). This makes it easy to remember, and allows the harbormaster to easily id who posted the pic.

If you forgot what pic name # you are up to, just type in http://www.donzi.net/photos/jmcgary9.jpg , jmcgary10.jpg, jmcgary11.jpg.....etc, until you get a file not found error. That's what pic you are up to. Use that name next.

Finally, if you happen to use a pic name that you have already used, the software will assign an arbitrary, seemingly nonsensical name to the pic. Pay attention, and write it down, or it will be a bear to find it when doing your post. If you do forget to write it down, use your browser's back button, and you can usually get back to the page with the pic name on it.

I keep a folder on my computer with all my posted donzi photos in it, with the same names that they have on donzi.net. That way, if i ever want to repost a photo, i can find out the name just by going to my local folder.

I've figured this out from my own past screw ups. Hope 1 or 2 of these hints are helpful to someone.

Ranman
09-13-2002, 11:40 AM
Scot, Is it possible to set the software up to allow the users to see all of the pics that have been posted to the server without actually having to search and scan previous posts?

harbormaster
09-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Anything is possible.

Fish boy
09-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Scot,
I found your instructions in the upload section to be clear and easy to follow. I can follow them to add a picture to Donzi Girls, and to add a picture to the signature block, however, I cannot figure out two things:
1. What is the "avatar" thing I keep reading about?
2. How can I add a picture to the left hand side of the post under my name?

I am sure I will feel very stupid when I find out the answers to these questions, but I appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Thanks for running such a fantastic site and for caring if we are able to get the most out of it.

Fishboy

harbormaster
09-14-2002, 06:26 AM
Avatars - Click on "my profile" which is near the top of the page.

Then click on "View/Update Profile"

You can them change a few things for your account.

Donzigo
09-15-2002, 08:17 AM
I found it very hard to post my pictures, until I kept track of my pictures by having a separate DONZI REGISTRY UPLOADS folder, with all of my pictures and their names. Now, posting is so easy. Here's what my EXCEL file: DONZI REGISTRY UPLAODS looks like:

RAaron001Smila.jpg
RAaron002Z-25.jpg
RAaron003Donzinavy.jpg
RAaron004Donzigirlsmila.jpg
........and so on

Tips:
a. Save your pictures as JPG files
b. They should be smaller than 200K
c. Reading Scot's instructions is a good thing! :rolleyes:

A little organization goes a long way.

Richard