PDA

View Full Version : 18's and salt - fresh water!

MOP
09-12-2002, 08:17 PM
I got an E-Mail from a fellow this evening about 18's being designed for fresh water. I am quite sure that is not true, I feel that they were in fact designed to be a decent high speed run a about for use in fairly rough conditions in both salt and fresh. If anyone has some input that I can forward to this fellow I am sure he would be thankful.

knee deep
09-12-2002, 09:29 PM
If thats the case why does mine have a connection for a fresh water flush? By the looks of it its defineately as old as the boat, circa 1968 we now think.

steplift58
09-12-2002, 09:39 PM
does 188 street have fresh water? :)

Last Tango
09-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Yeah, he must be correct. Donzi's were designed for all that fresh water next to the original plant in Miami and later over in Sarasota, for racing in all that fresh river water and lake water in the Florida Keys and Bahamas and Gulf of Mexico. Yeah, I'm sure your friend is correct about that. NOT!!!!

harbormaster
09-12-2002, 11:01 PM
post the email message.

MOP
09-14-2002, 06:43 AM
Hi as requested a copy of the fellows E-Mail to me!

Hi, I live in Manhattan but grew up on Long Island in Merrick. We always had boats as our house was on the water. I am considering purchsing an 18 Classic and keeping it docked at my parents house in Merrick. Is the 18 Classic an appropriate boat for the waters around Freeport LI? I have heard that the Classics are better freshwater boats. I don't want to go crazy, just have a nice, mellow speedster to cruise with in the bay around Freeport. What do you think?
Thank You for your help.
Ken Ward

My reply!

Hi
I run a lightly modified 16 in Peconic Bay which gets pretty rough at times and I am happy with its preformance. I know from having friends with 18's they are much better. Also I am on the Donzi net and the 18 is a very popular model and was intended for use in salt and rough water when it was designed. Come up onto the Donzi disussion board and ask alot of questions, you will get good advice from 18 owners. http://www.donzi.net/

MOP / Phil
----- Original Message -----