PDA

View Full Version : Trailer question

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-15-2002, 01:07 PM
My new Load Rite came with the Cable on the winch, I hate it. I have room for a 2.5" nylon web strap, all I can find online is 2" and 3" and I searched all morning?

Any ideas?

The 2" is usable and will hold 10,k pounds, but I would prefer 2.5"
Thanks in advance as always.
Bryan

Paul Storti
07-15-2002, 01:11 PM
I would just get the 2" I'm sure it will work fine, its not like you have to worry about lifting the boat.

Cuda
07-15-2002, 04:55 PM
The two inch will be fine. I always hated those "fishooks" on a cable. If you go with the strap, I would suggest running a chain from the eye to the trailer as well. A couple months ago, I was trailering a big heavy cruiser up the Sunshine Skyway. It wasn't lined exactly up with the winch stand, and the strap was rubbing on the side of the winch. Halfway up the bridge, the strap was cut by the winch, and the boat was bouncing around on the trailer. I got to the end of the bridge, and luckily I had some chain on my truck, and chained it down. It was pretty hairy. I now have 3/8's chain with a hook and turnbuckle holding it down. Same trailer, but different boat.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-15-2002, 05:46 PM
I have a 3200 pound SHELBY Model #5480A
Boat weighs 6800 pounds full of fuel.
The gap to hold the strap is 2.75" wide so I figure a 2.5" Strap.
I can buy a 2" 10,K pound Heavy Duty strap for about $30 bucks, the cable is already off so I need to act tomorrow. I will search a little more then buy the one I mentioned...

The cable was always bound up, and had already started showing signs of wear.

For safety I have a nice big chain also on the bow hooh with maybe an inch of play in the event of the strap snapping, plus this hull sits on three seperate unattached stepped bunks.

Thanks, Bryan

Dr. Dan
07-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Bryan, I have a friend that owns a 30' Scarab and he took a "yellow tow strap" and converted it to use on his rig? Not sure of size, it might be an alternative though? wink ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-15-2002, 09:53 PM
Scott/Dr Dan I am going to go ahead and overnight the strap ,2" 10K and we will be fine.
As far as rear tie downs go, where Donzi puts them on a 26ZX does not work on any trailer! They wrap past the tabs, so I keep them slightly slack to keep from ripping off a tab..... The tow eyes need to be more out board. A winter project after my Factory Work in Oct/Nov.
Thanks.....
Bryan

POODLE YOU HAVE MAIL!

Lil Grizz
07-16-2002, 12:04 AM
Just a thought, you said that the tabs get in the way of the straps. Have you tried using longer straps and crossing them over i.e. left hook to right trailer, right hook to left trailer? maybe the drive gets in the way but its just a thought.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-16-2002, 04:26 AM
The drive prevents that.
Bryan