PDA

View Full Version : Progressively worse...

AVickers
07-09-2001, 08:24 PM
I've got an '86 22' Classic: BB Chevy w/ Q-Jet (dirt solid stock...) with an Alpha drive (which I am growing to hate...) right at 350 hours. Anyway, the last couple of times out, when shifting between forward and reverse (or forward to neutral) the engine dies. And the condition appears to be getting progressively worse.

Sometimes when this happens she won't start without some throttle (pull the shift release, press the throttle forward and crank 'til she starts. Then move it back to neutral and shift forward or reverse, depending on what I'm about to run into...)

I know that rigs w/ the Alpha have a built-in ignition kill when going from forward-to-neutral-to-reverse and visa versa... And I know why: In lieu of cone clutches (like in Volvos), they use dogs (like an outboard) and this kill disengages things momentarily so that you can shift.

I have never really liked Alpha or MR drives and I probably should have passed on the boat -- given my bias against this drive type. (I was also looking at a Bravo-equipped Classic at the time this one came along...priced well below the newer Bravo-equipped ride (did I mention that my CFO/wife holds a lot of clout around my toy purchases????)).

So...short of swapping power (NOT going to happen) where should I start looking on my rig to fix this problem? The ignition is electronic, so there shouldn't be much here (wires? plugs? cap? what else?). When she's running -- even at idle -- she runs smooth. No apparant misses. The Q-Jet has always needed a bit of pumping to kick things off when cold, but once she warms up, she seems to run fine (mixture? idle? needles? what else?). It's only when that damnable kill is involked (coming in to dock or maneuvering around the trailer) that things get dicey...

I've not done anything yet. I'm hoping someone else on the board has had this happen to them and can save me some time and effort troubleshooting this puppy...

Any thoughts????

Thanks in advance...

[This message has been edited by avickers (edited 07-09-2001).]

TORYSMINX
07-09-2001, 08:35 PM
I had the same problem with my Minx with the alpha. It is a part on the trhrottle cable(I am sorry I cannot think of it right now)I will get my reciept to see if I can find it. Solved the cure right away. It is a roller type switch, maybe someone on the board knows better than I. I will get back to you tommorrow

wbateman
07-09-2001, 08:43 PM
There are a couple of cutout switches on the shift cam. This is to cut the ign to allow shifting. Those are probably out of adjustment. Had the same problem on my 16 with OMC 4.3

Bryan Tuvell
07-09-2001, 09:02 PM
I am not carbed but I would guess you have read my posts.

My comment is the day my first drive died (8 hours prior), it would die in N while rafting up at the falls at the AOTH, funny thing, she died in N the day the second drive went as we pulled away from a long dock..... I told the Merc guy and he said they were unrelated....

Why are you growing to hate the Alpha?
Thanks.... Bryan

RickR
07-09-2001, 09:13 PM
Check and adjust the momentary kill switch.
The lube on the switch may be gummed up or the switch out of adjustment.

Also your idle screws may be out of adjustment.

BTW Manual recomends 650 RPM idle in gear, but I think thats too high.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

marcdups
07-15-2001, 10:55 AM
sounds to me like your shift intepupt switch is on its way out, should be @ $40.00 and is easy to replace, or it could also be the neutral safety switch in the control box, you could try by passing the neutral safety switch which has two yellow wires with a red trace by tying them together and see if the problem goes away or persists, then I would look into the shift interupt switch, good luck.
Marc

north of the equator, building a new dash!!