PDA

View Full Version : 16 Classic Questions

James Adcock
07-15-2002, 08:50 AM
Well folks, As things get serious around my house about boat ownership ( my monies are getting closer) I'm learning that two of my family members don't want or care about boating and one is 50/50 on the idea. So, I might just buy something smaller. I've seen several 4.3, 16' classics for sale at what I would consider a fair price. Might be a good starter size to lure the rest of the family and not kill my budget. (I've also got to save enough $ back to build a garage to store it and my hot rod in).Question, How well does a 4.3 push a 16? I realize its not a SB, but would it pull a skier/boarder? 2nd question, Now suppose I'd like to keep it but want more power. Is the 4.3 motor itself saleable? I am fairly handy with a wrench, so building a SBM would'nt be a problem Neither would dealing with the outdrive. How feasable an idea is this? More money than brains? How much HP can you safely put in a 16? If it is feasable,taking my time to assemble a good running mill for a later installion would be ok, expensive, but fun. Or, Should I buy a boat with a SB in from the start? Thanks, Jamie

harbormaster
07-15-2002, 09:12 AM
buy a sb 18. Yu can get good deals if you are patient and have money in hand.

CnV & Family
07-15-2002, 09:26 AM
James,

We've got a completely stock 97 16 with the 4.3. Speedo stops at 55 but boat keeps accelerating. No GPS reading at WOT yet. Top end guesstimate is probably more close to 52ish... We do have a different prop, but there's been so much talk around here about that my head is still hurting. I do know that our prop is what adds to our top end while hampering our hole shot.

Being a skiier, I can get up behind the 16 and I taught my younger brother how to ski last year. A 'torquier' prop would have made it much easier though. I don't know about a boarder, but that might be tested soon.

Can't help too much with the later questions... One thing I'd quickly point out... It is said you sit IN a 22 but ON a 16/18. As far as luring the family... that would be a big consideration. Saftey, # of passengers, etc. If your thinking family, think a little bigger than a 16.

Hope this helps...
-C

mattyboy
07-15-2002, 09:34 AM
you might be surprised that the 4.3 pushes a 16 pretty good a good hp to weight ratio, as an owner of a 16, if you plan on doing family boating
the 16 might be cramped, we have worked it down to a duffle bag with all the essentials that just fits under the deck, space is a premium, depending on the size of the members of the family
my kids are 12 and 15 and love the ride and tubing
but if we have to get to the floor locker, it's like playing a game of twister.
Harbor is right it might be worth waiting on an 18
don't worry about resale, if you take care of it a donzi will always hold if not gain value

good luck

Matt

Rootsy
07-15-2002, 09:52 AM
i have to agree with what is said here bout the 16... mid 50's average out of the box for top speed... the 4.3 is faster out of the box generally than a sbc cause of the weight reduction in the rear, although now you can get the 260 standard under the hatch. modifying a 4.3 isnt really worth the effort either for the moeny spent, gains seen and longevity compromised... the hull is also a lot looser than an 18 so if ride at WOT is important go the 18 route at least...

the 16 is a bit cramped for more than 2 people, especially with 2 + 2 seating unless the person in back has short legs... and storage is at a premium, i am finally at the 1 duffel under the deck with my other essentials in the rear seat locker or way up in the bow... definitely have to travel light.

the reason i like the 16 for now is cause of where and how i boat.. generally smaller inland lakes that don't get HUGE water... plus it is generally just me and maybe a friend most of the time. it works for what i do and is easy to trailer and launch... plus now i'm to the point performance wise that i am fairly content... well sorta kinda... i am looking for an 18 hull for a project though...

anywho just my thoughts...

Jamie

Riley
07-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Hey Jamie, I know where there is a mint condition '99 18' Classic with a 305, sadly in need of your 350 sbc.....Chris

Bad-Tat
07-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Jamie,
I have a 90 16 that will go 55.3 GPS with full tank and one up. Great fun boat but as noted not much space. As I have just gotten a 22 it's for sale. E-mail me if interested.

Rootsy
07-15-2002, 11:57 AM
what is wrong with the 305 chris??? my 350 would probably push your boat high 60's... eventually low to mid 70's wink ... if the alpha would like it anyway...

trade ya even up for hulls, i'll even do the motor swap wink

and your email address in your profile doesn;t seem to work...

Riley
07-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Jamie, the 305 runs great, just not enough "ooomph" for me! She'll run in the high 50's all day long, regardless of load. On the other hand, the thing will run all weekend on $30 worth of fuel. I've been hesitant to do it, but I thing a Performer Vortec and Edelbrock 600cfm carb are on the horizon.

Tried a 21" Laser II prop this weekend, and I love it! Hull rides really high, yet doesn't chine walk at all. If you can get your hands on one, give it a try.

Drop me an email at rpmco@lighthouse.net.......Chris

James Adcock
07-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Chris/Bill, Thanks for your offers and I'm not saying no thanks ,but for the sake of sounding like a wannabe I don't have all the available funds just yet. I inherited a house a little better than a year ago and go to settlement near the end of August. I don't want to take out any loans banking on the house sale. I wanna pay cash. Cash IS king,right? Besides, The buyer can always back out. I have looked at a 22 with a SB in Stevensville, but the hull has been roughed up quite a bit. Supposed to be a new 350 w/15hrs and rebuilt Alpha and trailer. It's been there a couple of months. No definate decisions yet,except"Blowing smoke I'm not, I'm spending my part"! Thanks, Jamie

Rootsy
07-15-2002, 12:58 PM
why are you hesitant Chris? what reservations do you have? if you have all of the parts sitting there you could have it pretty much whipped on a saturday... it'd wake you up a little bit, especially on the top.

Riley
07-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Jamie, I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age! Seriously, the engine runs so darn good right now I don't want to screw anything up. Also, I spend at least as much time idling thru the Islands as I do running hard, so I haven't found it a necessity to run any faster. But, being a hot-rodder at heart, and wanting to pop over the magical 60 mph mark at will, the 4bbl and intake will be in the ups truck pretty soon.

By the way, did you have any clearance problems with your set-up?

I really think you need to get up here for some boating yet this summer.....Chris

Rootsy
07-15-2002, 01:46 PM
I'd LOVE to make a weekend trip but with work right now it is difficult.. maybe next month! heck i had a prop to test all last week and i wasnt able to even attempt it until sunday morning!

clearance on the 16 w/ edelbrock performer and a holley... i can stack a 2 3/4 x 10 K&N on top and not hit the hatch... i do not know how the 18 will work out. my new setup will not allow me to use the K&N and i will have to go back to the zenith flame retarder til i can come up with something else :(

right out of the box an edelbrock intake and one of their marine carbs should work just fine... either the carter or quadrajet style... i prefer the Q-jet since i am more familar with them and they are reliable but so are the carter styles... you shouldn't even have to jet or tinker with anything really... plus with the Q-jet you can just use factory merc brackets and all that good stuff...

HyperDonzi
07-15-2002, 02:32 PM
wakeboarding behind a 16?????
there wont be much wake. guess its fine for learning.

smokediver
07-15-2002, 05:31 PM
I have a 4.3 2bbl. 1.8 drive ratio and turn a 14x24 prop at 55 mph on gps. i think the diameter on the prop is smaller now that it has been reworked a few times. I am hitting my rev limiter when I am alone and now I just bought a laser2 24. my speed may go up a little. I take my wife and 2 young girls out almost 1 day a week and it is cramped. I am saving for an 18 so I am not going to put too much into my boat , just maintain what I have. If you got the money buy the 18 but the first time I got in my 16 and took off was just beyond words. and my single buddies love to wake board behind my boat( "what could be cooler than wakeboarding behind a donzi"?). good luck, you cant go wrong either way.