PDA

View Full Version : Merc Bravo I prop

Bryan Tuvell
07-09-2001, 02:30 PM
As you all know I blew my new drive with about 10 hours on it. (350 Mag sec gen).
www.donzi.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002113.html (http://www.donzi.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002113.html)

A few guys on Offshore Only says the Merc Bravo I is too much for my set up. I wanted you salty Donzi guys input?
The Bravo I is standard on most Donzi setups now.
I have my 3 blade 23 Mirage Plus and plan to go back to it and try to make it through the rest of summer.
Thanks, Bryan

RickSE
07-09-2001, 04:33 PM
The 22ZX's seem to like the Bravo-1 propeller, probably due to the step. We sold one last year with the 350 MAG/Alpha/Bravo-1 prop setup. The guy runs the boat a lot and it's still holding together just fine.

Mercury Marine should be at the Dealer Conference next week. I'll see if I can get one of the drive/propeller guys to comment on using the Bravo-1 propeller on an Alpha. I'll let you know.

Do you know what let go in the new drive?

Scubado
07-09-2001, 08:02 PM
Bryan,

I've been trying a few different props for my 22ZX (it's also a 350 Mag with Alpha). The three blade props just cavitate like crazy comming up onto plane. Even the four blade Bravo prop spins comming up on plane. I can't imaging that you are breaking your drive because you are creating too much torque with the Bravo I prop (I use the 24p Bravo I, I assume you are using the same). I have a different 4 blade prop that I use for pulling water skiers. My prop guy says that the 22p Bravo I (thats what the boat was deliverd with) is not a great prop. Anyway, I don't think the 300 HP is too much for the Alpha drive. There are a lot of boats out there with the same set up and I don't hear a lot about blown Alphas on stock set ups. Anyone else have any comments on the Alpha Drive???

I feel bad that you have spent so much time on the tow rope. Don't loose confidence in your beautiful boat, I think you are just going through a bit of bad luck. I know how it feels to be missing out on great boating days. Hang in there

Bryan Tuvell
07-09-2001, 08:53 PM
RickS, thank you, I look forward to what they say.

Scub, yeah, maybe it is just bad luck, the mechanic (only one Merc guy there) still hasn't touched my boat. I called the Marina that brokered it and he beat the price by 1 hour labor (3 vice 4) on the drive, and $500 on the unit price. His words were I know your good for it, tell me to order and I will, 5 days by truck, in the water the day it arrives.

Yep, you both sensed my discouragement... I just don't know what to believe anymore, I read and read and read trying to get smart on facs and other boaters experiences....

So I will wait 2 more days. Thanks for the encouragement, it does me good.
Again, thanks..........
Bryan

Frank Civitano
07-09-2001, 09:01 PM
Bryan. did you order your seats and i will take a pic of the rug this weekend and E-mail it to you

------------------
Frank Civitano