PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Legend Sweet Sixteen"

TRU-JACK
07-09-2001, 01:02 AM
My testing of the 16's didn't really happen. The 400hp's owner had to leave town, therefore no test ride. The 4.3 is not a Donzi, but is a very good copy. The manufacturer is Legend Marine, a company from Ft. Lauderdale FLA. Has anyone heard of these boats? What gives, the model name is 'sweet sixteen'. The quality looked quite good, but it isn't a Donzi. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

jaroot
07-09-2001, 11:32 AM
i was thumbing through a discount marine supply magazine and got to the boat cover section. Was looking for a full mooring cover for my 16 that wouldn't break the bank and there's a picture of what appears to be a 16 or 18 classic look a like.. looks just like a classic cept where the vents are around the rear hatch there are indents or inverted vents. on the side of the boat it says U-17... anyone know what that is all about?

boxy
07-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Tru-Jack, I saw that 16 footer in our Trader, I don't know its history, I read the words "Legend" and lost interest.
Was the owner of the 400 hp 16 sure it was an 83, because I just found the original BoatTrader ad, and the owner from Kingston had it listed as a '66. (and I was wrong on the price, he was asking $8500, and we had talked about $7500 being an acceptable offer) If you are still interested, let me know, I could take an up close look for you.

Jaroot, the U-17 is a 17 foot FourWinns, there is some debate to their hull performance, but they sure are a pretty copy.

Also, if any one is interested, there is '67 28 foot Sportsman (I think) for sale near my Dad's place in the 1000 Islands, the owner is from NJ, and is looking to sell. We are heading up that way for a couple of days, I'll see if I can get some pics.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

jaroot
07-09-2001, 12:34 PM
i take it fourwinns no longer makes this boat... i can't believe i've never seen one before... well ya learn something new every day i reckon...

TRU-JACK
07-09-2001, 01:36 PM
The 400hp in Kemptville was asking 15k, but i received a message this morning that he'll sell for 6500 cash by this friday. The boat is a little rough, but the engine looks strong. Look at my post, "Florida guys please help" Brownie explains the "legend", sounds like an exact copy. I'm trying to sell my Zodiac tonight, if all goes well, i'm buying the legend.

Formula Jr
07-19-2001, 07:33 PM
Mattyboy, Yah those Formula 17s are such POS copies, good thing you passed...By the way, do you have phone number for the seller.....

JP BRESCIA
07-19-2001, 09:07 PM
LMAO FORMULA JR!!!

I'v got an 80 18 that could go for a shot of 400.

Hot Water Man
07-19-2001, 09:38 PM
Looks Like we need a Donzi knock off Registry http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
72 Sutphen HotWater (http://content.communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NAAAAFMSe9gdktllBEucXDJcWGwlZHAf*7LIhuL9N*Z!LjsoI W5LTT9vW!W!labWblh3T6!R2hLtrQkE1ikSgQ/8ball.jpg)

Danny
07-20-2001, 10:15 AM
Jack
I went into Sandy Cove Marine on the 400 a few weeks ago to look through there flea market stuff, and while I was there I noticed a flip of a 16 (brand new)made by Cutter Boats(at least that's what they were operating as last year) from Owen Sound. That's the company that bought up Grew Boats a few years ago, the flip had Grew logos on it. Everytime you turn around someone is flipping somebodyelse's boats especially the popular and proven hulls. It amazes me that there is more control in the industry.
Danny

Len
07-20-2001, 05:32 PM
Danny, can you believe it?...I have looked at about 6 DIFFERENT copies of the 16-18's here and now you show me this... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif..man oh man, now another clone.
http://www.noremacmarine.com/grew-classy16.htm

On another note, here's one of their "OFFSHORE" boats, about a foot longer and 600 lbs lighter than their "Classy Sixteen" I gotta wonder what's missing...

http://www.noremacmarine.com/chal-xlx180.htm

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-20-2001).]

Looped
07-20-2001, 09:43 PM
Len,
Now that XLX 180 is one butt ugly looking thing!

Len
07-20-2001, 09:50 PM
I agree,...I have never liked the stuff of designers that looks like tenders for the Jetsons'. DONZI was never that, nor ever morphed to be one at any time in their existence.
Hats off to the Integrity of Design and the people of DONZI (whomever owned them...)for NEVER succumbing to this flash in the pan, quick bang for the buck, what's hot now, attitude.
Keep in mind, we are still looking at the same hull we were 36 years ago (when I was 4)and it is timeless as are all GOOD LOOKING designs. Much like old Chris-Crafts, Hackercrafts, Riva's and the like. Some things don't change and always look Good!!!

Whew!!!,..I gotta get off of this soap box and try to earn another $.02 cents. Lenny

------------------
Man,...Am I getting sick of looking for these things...

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-20-2001).]