PDA

View Full Version : One K-plane is slower than the other

blackhawk
07-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Had my boat out for the 1st time this weekend(finally) and my port K-plane is slower than my starboard one. It is very minimal(about 3/8" off from down to up) but is noticeable when driving. I did the obvious and checked the oil and it was fine. It was fine before I put it away last year. Cylinder and lines do not seem to be leaking at all. Any ideas?

MOP
07-14-2002, 08:40 PM
Could be a lazy solinoid, it will probably wake up with use.

blackhawk
07-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Actually, when full down and "bottomed out" I could here one selenoid clicking right after the other. But it wouldn't do it if I hit the switch anywhere in "mid-stroke". Hopefully it will get better. It's hard to believe how much difference a 1/2" can make when driving!

Greg Maier
07-14-2002, 08:54 PM
My K-planes also do not operate at the same speed, which can make for an interesting ride when accelerating at WOT. I'm not sure why they do this. Let me know if you find anything out.

MOP
07-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Check over all the pump wiring at the transom especialy the grounds, make sure all the contacts are clean and tight. Hope that does it for you, lots of eletric stuff gets lazy over the layup period.

roadtrip se
07-14-2002, 11:08 PM
I have owned three boats with 280 k-planes.
One was always slower than the other, hence the reason position indicators came in really handy to see where the things were at. Real fun started when the actuator pump would lock up once in a while. Pop it with a screwdriver or a fist and good as new. I was told this was normal, but always had a hard time believing it.

I was never too terribly impressed with k-planes, until I ended up with these fine Bennetts that leak all over the bildge and are slower than molasses. Now k-planes would be real nice...

Todd

blackhawk
07-15-2002, 09:48 AM
Roadtrip, my K-planes have always been very close. At least close enough to not notice a difference while driving the boat. I checked the fluid and they were both good. I kept playing with it last night and it seems to be that the port plane is starting to move slower not moving slower. In other words, the selenoid seems to be triggering the port plane a little slower. It moves at the same rate but is about a 1/2 second slower to react when I hit the switches. Plus, it seems to be happenning only when I bottom it out, not in mid-stroke. Weird. I am going to get someone to watch them and jump the selenoids to make sure.

blackhawk
07-15-2002, 09:52 AM
Also, an actuator pump locking up is not normal. Mine was doing it last year and I had it fixed for $40. One of the armature welds had come loose. And indicators are my next investment!!!

glashole
01-12-2007, 03:07 PM
was there ever a solution to this? :)

donzist
01-12-2007, 08:07 PM
One has always been slower then the other on mine, I just level them with the indicator, and everything looks fine as well. The other day NONE of the tabs would work, although you could here the motors clicking (as in cliking noise) when i hit the buttons. After a while they seemed to become unstuck and worked. dont know if this is normal either. Oil was fine.

Cuda
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
First thing I would check is to see if they have the same viscosity oil in them. A lighter oil will make them work faster.

BigGrizzly
01-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I have never seen planes that were ever exactly equal one is always slower even if they have a common pump. I use indicators now or don't use the planes at all unless absolutely necessary.

glashole
01-15-2007, 07:44 AM
its more of an issue when you need them both down in a hurry :eek!: