PDA

View Full Version : Polished or Burnished?

MOP
09-11-2002, 06:43 PM
Ok what is the thought on polishing or burnishing props? I have heard smooth is fast and burnished holds on to the water better giving more push. My thoughts are burnished for a different reason.

BigGrizzly
09-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Most race boats props arn't highly polished. I would bet that on yours or mine we couldn't trll the differnce.

Randy of Donzis since 1966.

GeneD
09-13-2002, 01:32 PM
The actual term is 'Polished' or 'Satin' finish.
It is commonly thought that a satin finished prop will grab and throw the water better than a polished.
We plan on doing some testing to my boat (when ever the heck it gets done) on polishing the suction side, and beading the pressure side.
There is one prop guy out there that blasts the cup on the blade.
007 Update: Drive and gimbal assy at Offshore Solutions getting Imron-ed.
Hoping to get engine compartment squared away real soon.
Motor complete, only took 11 months. Hardest engine I ever built. 406 bad boy cubic inches. Come on Forrest, let's run again!

MOP
09-13-2002, 03:07 PM
I have seen about 3/4 of of the inside cup blasted like a Gilbey's gin bottle.

Forrest
09-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Oh Gene. You mean to tell me it's going to take "406 bad boy cubic inches" to woop ass on my little 16 with it little 302 cubic-inch motor with a 450 cfm carb and that good for nothing cleaver prop? eek! Oh My! eek! Hmmmm . . . I guess that I better get Bertram Boy back down here along with Ginny, Diana, and Heidi to ride with me again to even it all out and make things fair! :D :D

BigGrizzly
09-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Hmmm,lets see Bertrum boy, Ginny, Daiana, Hidi and Forrest in a the Little Green Giant powered by a 302 Ford with an old Outboard Clever prop against a 406 chevy seems fair to me. Now Forrest don't cheat you must have atleast 1/2 tank of fuel LOL.

Randy, owner of Donzis since 1966

GeneD
09-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Oh Don, I am under so MUCH pressure!
But if I work really hard...I think I can pull it off.
I had grandious dreams of replacing this, and doing that...but in the end, I think I'll just put my boat back together and piece meal it later.
You're making me look pretty lousy Forrest beating me with that tiny 16, with the wimpy 302...please! That thing hauls butt and we all know it. :rolleyes:
As for your cleaver prop...I'd be happy to put you in a lab finished Mirage Plus.
My boat is looking pretty crappy right now. The last ride I took was Mother's Day of 2001, so you gotta cut me some slack! eek!
I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I'm trying like heck to get it done for the Homecoming, or whatever it's called this year. :)