PDA

View Full Version : Oldest 18' Classic?

boldts
09-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone. Can anyone tell me what was the oldest year 18' Classic (sorry Emmo, I forgot the word year in there)and how many of them were built? Also, where is the identification number on the first 18's built. Is it hand written on the bottom of the deck in front of the dash panel? I received a very interesting phone call today. wink

Emmo
09-10-2002, 11:31 PM
I think GeneD can claim that honor. When he displayed his boat at Portofino, several old Donzi guys (previous employees and owners of the Marque) were murmuring "prototype" after looking it over.

boldts
09-11-2002, 02:47 AM
Gene's Classic is listed as a 1966. What if maybe there were 3 or 4 older 18' Classics built? Any thoughts Brownie? No Mr. Pearson, it is not for sale! It does how-ever come with quite an amazing story and may even be at the Sarasota garthering. Pictures soon, how-ever, Mike Miller may already have a few along with some other folks in the Donzi community? :D

Scott Pearson
09-11-2002, 06:23 AM
Everything is forsale at the right price :D .

Scott...tell us more. Would love to hear the story.

(NJ)Scott

Looped
09-11-2002, 08:43 AM
I am nowhere close to having the oldest 18’ Classic being HIN 18-103 made in Nov. 1966 but I know of four spots that have the HIN marked and one spot that may have more detailed info. The easiest spot to find the HIN is on the backside of the right side of the dash, the numbers are written with a black felt tip pen about 2 ½” tall that appears to written on the inside of the first outer layer of fiberglass so the numbers are written backwards when you look at them. At first I could not see the numbers so what I did was use a little oil on a cloth and lightly dabbed the backside of the dash that actually made the old writing come back to life for me.

The second and third location I did not find on mine with being a metal tab in the front area of the engine compartment and the other is a metal stick-on type of tag stuck on the backside of the backseat.

The forth spot should have more info on it but it is very hard to find and get to and it could be worth searching for, all I can say is be very careful when you are doing a stringer-up restoration and don’t throw away any old cutoff fiberglass without looking it over every square inch! :D

Good luck!
Craig

ALLAN BROWN
09-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Aronow was responsible for the original "barrelback" 18' and then the Corsican. The "barrelback" was up and running when Don came back from the Paris 6 Hour race in 1965. He had seen Renato "Sonny" Levi's bubbledeck design and decided to "re-invent" it. We built the Corsican on top of the "barrelback". I think I have the time frame right, but then again, I can't remember how many drinks I had last night.

Formula Jr
09-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Brownie, did Levi's designs influence the deck design of the 28 also?

Also, people are reporting finding rigid foam deck coring in very early donzis. I've always wondered about the originallity of this and assumed these boats must have had a pior deck re-core at some point. Where not ALL the earily Donzis cored with end grain balsa?

ALLAN BROWN
09-11-2002, 01:56 PM
JR,

More or less. We tried some other stuff, like scored plywood, and every other core that was offered. The 28' shape was a function of headroom. By the way, the subject of this thread has a 16' Donzi.

CDMA
09-11-2002, 04:00 PM
The coring on older Donzi's has been interesting me recently. In looking more into the early barrelbacks it appears that not all of them were balsa. I have hull # 226 and as far as I can tell it is one of the later ones. Around hull # 234 seems to be the beginning of the straight back.

But what is interesting to me is that my boat is a foam cored boat and always has been. Having restored it I can tell you the boat had never been recored. That being said other barrelbacks have different configurations. I know Cliff's and Looped's boat are balsa core and I think Scott's is part balsa part foam. I have also heard of others that are like mine.

So I was just wondering if Allan or anyone else knew anything more about this.

Chris

HyperDonzi
09-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Scott, didnt you have an old Holman Moody 18? what year was it?

boldts
09-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Brownie - No it is not a 16' Classic, but a 1965 Vintage 18' Classic.

Here is the story to go along with the boat.

There is a Hotel on the Missippi coast I believe that back in 65 was the ritz of hotels and all the movie stars stayed at. Broadview or Broadbeach I believe. This hotel was owned by a single women who had 2 nephews who later took over the running of the hotel. In 65, Don Aronow displayed the 18' Classic at the Miami Boat Show for the first time. Because there was also a very large marina next to the hotel in Miss., the nephews want to sell Donzi boats out of this marina. The story goes that they went to the Miami Boat Show and bought 2 18' Classics obtain a Donzi dealership out of their marina. One was red and white while the other was blue and white both having been built in 1965. The boats at that time were selling for $6800 which at that period of time was very expensive for most people.

Has is the case these days with the Classics, most did not want to spend that kind of money on a boat in 65. Now enter the owner of one of these Classics. A man named Benny Evans saw the blue and white one and knew he had to have that Classic. $6800 was a lot of money for him also, but, he had a chemical company that supplied the nephews hotel with toilet paper. Mr. Evans, obtained the blue and white 1965 18' Classic by trading the nephews 400,000 rolls of toilet paper for the Classic thus satisfying the nephews toilet paper invoice. The boat was kept at the marina's rack storage facility and used for water sking by the new owner.

It gets even better! Somewhere around 67 or 68, a hurricain blew through the coast of Miss. wiping out everything including the marina's rack storage facility. The red and white 1965 18' Classic was destroyed by the hurricane. It just so happens that after water sking days before the hurricaine, Mr. Evans decided to take his blue and white 1965 18' Classic home to his place of residence in up state Miss. to do some general maintance on the boat. The boat never received a scratch because the hurricaine stayed South of Mr. Evans home.

Thus, Mr. Evans may own the one and only 1965 18' Classic in exsistance today. He said that an Alabama dealer offered him a brand new Scorpion powered 18' Classic in trade even up. Mr Evans turned down the offer because a new 18 Classic could be had at any time, but a 65 will never be built again. The boat supposedly has everything original including the cockpit cover and trailer except for the engine. He said he regrets the engine change now, but at the time, the boat came with a 4 banger and an Eaton outdrive. The 4 banger was replaced with a Ford V8 and then began the problems with the outdrive because Eaton uses a shear pin and the props for that drive could not withstand the power being applied. Supposedly, Mr. Evans covered the boat and kept it in storage for a number of years not wishing to replace props anymore. Because the boat was not costing him anything, when approched about selling the boat, he simply said no thanks.

Now for all you who may not believe this story I've been told, Mr. Evans is planning on bringing the boat to Sarasota in Oct. He is sending me pictures of the boat which I will post as soon as I receive them. Supposedly, pictures are already in the hands of Mike Miller and or Nick Miller. Also, Stephanie at Jackson's recieved pictures also.

Now, you all know why my question about the oldest year 18' Classic and how-many were built. Mr. Evans got my name and phone from someone telling him about the Midwest Donzi Club and maybe I could help him with more information about his boat. Thus the question about the HIN number location as he has been unable to find this number on the boat. I can not ait to see the pictures as the excitement in his voice as he talked about the boat was just like all of us talking about ours!

BTW Brownie, don't be surprised if you receive a phone call soon. wink

GeneD
09-11-2002, 06:11 PM
The pictures I was shown when I was at Donzi this past week, had the same story...but was a 16.
Wrap around seating, barrel-back type, single hatch. New driver's seat.
Same boat?
I will not lose my 'Oldest Boat' (18) status without kicking and screaming! eek!

Formula Jr
09-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Seriously confused at this point. If its a 16 ---- interesting, but not so much as an 18........We know 16s,/Hornets/Tropaz's/ 28's were made in '64.. And we know 18's were made in '65. A 16 made in '65 is rare, and the story interesting, but doesn't trace down the first surviving 18.

boldts
09-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks Gene. Looks like you keep the oldest designation. Same boat. The gentleman must have been counting an addional 2' for the outdrive or something. He definately said it was an 18 Classic when talking on the phone. Hope to see the pictures, because they will answer and clear up the story. Sorry to question you Brownie. I should know you are the supreme knowledge base when it comes to those early years.

HB - My H/M was a 1969 18 Classic. We love the 22, but I really miss that 18.

HyperDonzi
09-11-2002, 07:52 PM
well, you did have to work much harder to get it i am sure.

BERTRAM BOY
09-11-2002, 08:40 PM
I'm just curious as to why it is thought the Gene Drago's 18 is a prototype. How was that determined without the hull #?
Other than the triple hatches and stern light, his doesn't seem to be any different than any of the other barrelbacks.
Gene what's the real story?
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Scott Pearson
09-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Yes Gene...what does make your boat a Prototype??? Or the oldest Donzi 18???

Owen...Hornets in 1964???? First production year was 1967.

My 18 is Balsa from the dash foward. The dash was plywood. The sides on back to the transom is foam including the hatch. And NO the boat has never been touched or re-cored prior to me.

The 14 Baby is all balsa including the transom. Stringers are plywood.

The Hornet is all balsa...This includes the 1/2 inch balsa that is placed all the way down the sides from bow to stern. Stringer are Plywood.

(NJ)Scott

BERTRAM BOY
09-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Scott,
Actually the first prototype Hornet was built in 1964. That was Brownie's race boat with the 4 speed transmission. I think it was a long time between the prototype and the production models. Maybe Brownie can clear this up.

Scott Pearson
09-11-2002, 09:37 PM
I knew the first Hornet was in 1964 that Brownie raced. I said production years. That was 1967 and 1968. I have never come across a 1969 Bench seat Hornet. But thats not to say there wasnt any made.

(NJ)Scott

RH
09-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Scott, I hate to pile on, but according to Brownie, around 36 Hornets were built between 1964 and 1967. Brownie tested and rigged them. We have a wealth of information in our midst!
RH

Scott Pearson
09-11-2002, 09:57 PM
RH,
I agree with you about the wealth of info we do have here on the board. I just find it strange that we have never seen a 1964, 1965 or 1966 Bench Seat Hornet. Or for that matter any brochurs on them prior to 1967. As far as 36 that where built. I dont think that # is that far off.

Mine is Hull # 23. Its also one that was powered by a Daytona Marine Turbo Charged Small Block Chevy. Thanks to Brownie on some info he gave me and then I followed it up with getting a Factory Donzi brochure that showed the option for the Turbo boat. Turns out that the special equipmet that was offered is all on this boat! I know of only one other that is done like this and its Mike Devlin's boat out of NY.

(NJ)Scott

Gritz
09-11-2002, 10:04 PM
The hotel:
The Broadwater, I believe.
The Hurrican:
Camile, I believe.
The boat:
I don't know.
One of the top ten boat names I have seen (at the Broadwater Marina in the early ninties on a sportfisherman):
"$ and no cents"

boldts
09-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Gritz - You are correct on both counts. I just couldn't remember the names. Apperently the marina was built because the lady who owned the Broadwater hotel also had a 40 something yacht named Broadwater. The yacht never left it's slip. Here are the pictures I received today. The boat is a 16' Classic and not a 18. Pretty cool piece of history though.

Owners Name and number: Benny Evans (601) 264-8903

http://www.donzi.net/photos/6516classic1.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/6516classic2.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/6516classic3.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/6516classic4.jpg

RH
09-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Scott, according to Brownie, the early Hornets were raced and were mostly v-drives. Brownie mentioned that he actually cartwheeled one to an early demise. Would it be possible that the early ones were trashed after the racing? I seem to recall that they showed and open 19 Hornet that had a canvas wrapped over the deck. It could have been a St Tropez that was raced. Do you have your serial number for your bench seat model? Mike Devlin's is the only bench seat v-drive that I have seen other than yours. They just don't get and better!
RH

harbormaster
09-12-2002, 02:01 AM
Looks like the same year as Lenny's 16. Also the same trailer.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF599.jpg

Scott Pearson
09-12-2002, 06:05 AM
RH,
Yes the first one did have canves on it. But then we havent seen any other till the production of the Hornets. There are 5 V-Drives that I know of. My hull # is 19H-23. The "Sting" Hornet that was around in Conn. is hull # C19H-36. So if Brownie is right about the 36 then this one could be the last one built. If the #s are in order of the boats being built.

(NJ)Scott

ALLAN BROWN
09-12-2002, 07:52 AM
The Biloxi lady....Mrs. Joe Brown. The blue "18", a 1965 16'! November, 1964 Jacksonville, Fl. boat show display, a white 16' w/blue stripe. January 1965, New York Boat Show, NY Coliseum. Display, 16' white w/blue stripe and green Hornet w/turbo Daytona 327 w/silver stripe. February 1965 Miami Boat Show display, at Dinner Key, a white 16' with red stripe, and a (same) green Hornet. We didn't have the 18' yet. At the '65 show, I was polishing the deck of the Hornet when a grey haired guy with a frowsy blonde came by the booth before the show opened and said "I would like to buy this boat for my wife". I said " Yeah, me too, pal". About an hour later, Jack Manson, who was the show boss brought them back and said "Brownie, I think you should meet Jim Kimberly" I said "Oh, s##t!" He said "I just came back to tell you to stick that boat up your a**!, kid." Oops!

Greg
09-12-2002, 08:25 AM
I know that mine is not the oldest, but I just thought I' pile this on. Mine was made towards the last part of Sept. 66. The ser.# is 18-92. It has a single hatch and foam coring under the deck. I'm in the long process of restoring it now. It kind of looks like they had the "A" team making the hull and the "B" team doing the layup on the deck and int. areas. Hope this helps.

RH
09-12-2002, 09:45 AM
Hey Scott, the canvas covered boat was the triple Evinrude outboard if I am not mistaken, not that it makes any difference though! I was thinking that the boat called the "Sting" was a bench seat Hornet with a Volvo Stern drive. I remember seeing pictures of this boat about 2 years ago. It was a light beige or off white color with a darker stripe as I recall. Am I remembering this correctly? Another question that I would like to raise is the hull numbering system that Donzi used. My Hornet is C19H62. The boat is registered as a 1972 and my thought that it would be the 62nd hull popped from the Hornet mold. Would my assertion be correct?
RH

Formula Jr
09-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Scott P.
Just to clarify, I don't distinguish production from non-production boats regarding the years. In my way of thinking, its much more important to see the date that the first prototype was made. And that can be a wooden test boat if need be. Its the only way to see the evolution of design and how eariler designs may have influenced latter designs. The odd thing about the Hornet (and foregive me everyone) is how conventional the hull really is. Its just facinating and rather odd, that after the very successfull 233, a true deep V 24 degree dead rise boat, that Donzi went back to a more traditional semi-Vee 19 degree deadrise at the transom design with the Hornet. Yes, the deck is a completely new design with its negative shear, and all the spiffy performance stuff, but the hull is something you could have seen 20 years eariler in a wooden boat. It seems like a giant step backwards.

There has to have been an 18 hull popped from a mold and finished in '65. It may not have been shown or sold till '66. But I think its safe to say the 18 was created in '65 and trialed.

The 16 in profile here proves another point. You will note the complete lack of top deck venting. Clam shell vents seem to have been options in the very earily 16's.

Brownie, your story reminds me of the time I helped organized a political dinner and speech. Everyone thru the door had to pays their $15 bucks. Well, unknown to me the main speaker, a State Senator, showed up at the front door, and said "don't you know who I am?'" and I told him I didn't care and to couch up the 15 bucks. Which he sheepishly did. Course I had to applogize later and hand him his 15 back. :D

GeneD
09-13-2002, 07:22 AM
Wow, great discussion.
One thing I guess I missed somewhere...
Lenny bought a boat?!?!?!?!?!?!
My boat...
Look, this prototype stuff is not something I came up with. Mike Aronow and others looked at the boat and that is what they said. I went to park my car, came back and there were guys all over the boat. One guy was crawling up into the ski rack! And no one could tell me where to find the hidden VIN.
Remember, my dash was rotten and disintergrated. The boat had already had the engine compartment re-done, so that tag was gone. Really, guys, I am at as much of a loss to explain it as any of you.
Now for coring?
The whole boat is balsa, except for the dash and cockpit floor, which was and is again, plywood.
I couldn't tell you what engine it came with. A hole was cut for Merc, and either it came that way, or someone did a great job in conversion cause I can't see any Volvo cutout.
It came with LH steering, and if anyone knows my boat, they know I didn't have the heart to fill in the hole for the Morse control. Someday I'll buy a plate and cover it up.
Well, that's about it.
Sorry I can't clear this up any further.
Also guys, let's think about this '65 thing for a moment. The brouchure came out for the Miami boat show in '66, pictures were taken in '65. Which means boats were made in '65 for sales in '66. Just like the Auto manufacturers.

Hull #18-83
09-13-2002, 05:05 PM
My 18 classis is hull #83. Was built july, 1966. It is confirmed with the original HIN tag in the engine compartment and the black writing under the deck, complete with build date and initials of the employees (that laid it up?).

The hull number reads 18-83 (The 83rd 18 footer built). Any older known 18 classics?

Formula Jr
09-13-2002, 05:44 PM
The hull number thingy, has to mean Total number of Donzis built up to that point. In '65 there were less than 70 Donzis of any model in total. So the hull sequence numbers don't work for just this one model. If it says 18-83. It makes much more sense that this means its the 83rd Donzi built, and it just so happens to be an 18. Soon after, they seemed to have changed the number system to reflect series within a model type such as C18-001. But there isn't an 18-001. So if we're looking for the first serialed 18, it would have a number like 18-65 to 74. Rich's boat in the registry appears to be the earliest documented 18.

http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=171

Scott Pearson
09-13-2002, 10:23 PM
The "C" in the seriel # does not mean "Classic". The "C" means Chisem (Spelling)

When the Chisems took over Donzi they started to put "C" before the hull #.

For instence...Look at the hull # on my 1967 Hornet its 19H-23. Now look at the hull # on the the later Hornet Called the "Sting". Its C19H-36.

This is why you dont see the letter "C" on very early "Classic" Donzi's.

And....this is why you see "C" on Hornets,7 meters etc. So it does not mean "Classic". Look in the registery.....

(NJ)Scott

Rich
09-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Just thought I'd throw in some photos of my Donzi hull numbers....
1966 2plus3
http://www.donzi.net/photos/RichPhullnumber.jpg

1969 7 Meter
http://www.donzi.net/photos/RichPhullnumber2.jpg

Scott Pearson
09-14-2002, 10:07 PM
WOW....Rich great photos.

66 18 Classic....No "C" prior Chisem.
69 7 meter....."C" Chisem.

Thanks Rich!

(NJ)Scott

Formula Jr
09-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Well, again the point I'm saying here is that prior to the Chisholm ownership, Donzis appear to have been serialized regardless of model. The very earily boats just have a length designation followed by a number that designates the number of total donzis built. So we can expect that there are numbers for the first two years of production that look like: 16 - 5, 28-6, 19- 7, with some consideration of an ordinal build of any particular model. So you could have 16-6, 16-7, 16-8, 28-9, 16-10, 28-11, 28-12, 19-13, 19-14... etc..... till you get up into the 60th or 74th donzi built, and then you get a sub 18-75 or so boat. Its of a higher probablity that the first 18 would come right after a 16. So we should be able to bracket the build a little. And that boat will be the very first 18 2+3.

BERTRAM BOY
09-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Okay now I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into that scenerio........ My boat has in black marker, just "105". No 18- (dash). and that's all I could find.
There are no build dates written that I could find.

Formula Jr
09-15-2002, 04:30 AM
Perhaps after building 105 of them, the layup guys had a pretty good feel for which deck went with which model......... http://www.epud.net/~owen/psmile4.gif

BigGrizzly
09-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Heres one my Corsican C18-C45. It is a 1971 ans I have the origional title and all the vin plates. So the first C standsfor Chisum and the second means the classiest boat ever (LOL). I would like to help you out further but I can't remember the vin of our 16 and we have all the paper work Titles and all and it has never been restored- no need to. She is not free with that info. Especiallu since there is a boat posted with the same vin. She doesn't want to unravel A possible situation

CDMA
09-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Randy It looks to me from what I have seen is that the second C is for Corsican. Ken Golbergs is something like C18-C001 ( for Corsican #1).

Chris

RH
09-15-2002, 07:33 PM
Randy and Chris, that would make my C19-H62 relate to Chisom (C), 19' Hornet (H)and hull 62 from that series?
RH

CDMA
09-15-2002, 07:37 PM
That would be my non expert guess.

Chris

Formula Jr
09-17-2002, 07:46 PM
There is something though that is odd about Bertram Boy's 18. Odd, other than the engine, drive, propellor, vents, cutouts etc.. wink He has a single hatch - it should be a triple hatch. Cliff, next time your dinking around the boat, could you look closely at the edges of the opening for tell tail signs of old bolting patterns. There should be fill marks where the center hatch attached and the old hinge thru holes on one side or the other. :D

CDMA
09-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Owen I looked. Nope. Looks like some gelcoat work has been done but behind where the hole should be there is no hole or remnants of one.

That being said why should his be a triple hatch? #103 ( looped) is a single hatch. Some of your history just ain't adding up.

Chris

BERTRAM BOY
09-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Owen,
Chris is right( I know, I thought it was odd too). There is/was no signs of a triple hatch.
There only seems to be a handfull of '66 non triple hatch boats.

Dr. Dan
09-17-2002, 08:33 PM
Cliff...We all know you're just trying to be unique...again :D ...Doc

Keeping My Feet On The Floor BTW cussball

CDMA
09-17-2002, 08:37 PM
The other thing I think we need to be careful about is how we determine the year of our boats. It is pretty common that registration is not the true indication. For example my 1986 22 is registered as a 1989 and my 1989 whaler is registered as a 1988. Why this is I have no idea but I do know that over the years I have seen more boats registered as a different year then they really are. We all know how competent some of the DMV people are and how easy it is to get a boat retitled if the title or paperwork is missing. I have had a DMV agent ask me "what year is it?" when I went to register an old whaler. I said "73". She put that down on the registration and since then that particular whaler has been a 1973. Is is really...??? I have no idea.

All I am saying is that we need to be careful how we determine the actual year of our boat with what could be comprimised information.

Chris

Looped
09-17-2002, 08:50 PM
I'll take a look-see in the morning under the center part of the hatch/deck area for some patched in spots of a sign of an original triple hatch.

The deck is already to be lifted on mine with some odd writing under the front deck area that I can't look at good enough with hopefully more info to come. It looks like they were bored the day wrote under my deck because there are a bunch of circles going around and around the gas fill area with other scribble that I can't make out. I'm only 6' & 285 lbs but it's still crammed under there plus I’m not too keen with tight dark areas.

HIN: 18-103
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer03strip.jpg

BERTRAM BOY
09-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Craig,
Did you say your deck is ready to be lifted. Just let me know when, and I'll bring the party..... It's temporarily gonna cost you a ski rack though..... Don't worry, It'll be taken extra special care of......

Looped
09-17-2002, 09:31 PM
Cliff,
It is basically ready to go, I just wish that I had my garage ready for it to go in for the winter at the same time but I guess that will be later on it Nov or Dec. I have told you before that I thought of using a front-end loader to lift it up evenly but after I loosened the deck for the hull I found out that this will need some extra care being taken off. With no coring left in the front part of the deck this thing needs human hands to know what’s going on with it being lifted. Let me know when you are free to come up and I will try and get a bunch of help if not all of the help too. I’m not worried about the ski rack; you can have it as long as you need it. Like I’ve said before, I’m not in any rush to get this done because the longer it takes me to completely restore it, the more of a Classic it will be once it’s done!

Give me a ring (508) 520-2224
Craig

CDMA
09-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Cliff,

You should purchase the "frequent traveler" discount on the ferry if you want my A$$ up there too...
:D :D :D :D

1 ferry to cliff's $68
Gas to Cliff's $25
The digital pics I get out of it... priceless...

Chris

Scott Pearson
09-18-2002, 05:52 AM
I thought the triple hatch boat was a totally different deck opening? Are you sure that a single hatch will fit in a triple hatch hole???
If I remember right a triple hatch is wider.

(NJ)Scott

Looped
09-18-2002, 11:02 AM
After taking a look at the underside deck/hatch area I could not find any fill-in glass work, the only thing I could find under there was the original cockpit snap screw holes have been filled in with the newer ones located in a different spot.

Scott,
After you mentioned about the width differences between the two single & triple hatches you can see a big difference (maybe 8-10 inches?) between Gene Drago’s triple hatch and my single hatch:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01drago.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer03strip.jpg

I did take a shot of the HIN I have located on the backside of the dash just below the 3 screw holes that the (original?) grab handle use to be located at:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01HIN.jpg

Scott Pearson
09-19-2002, 06:21 AM
Looped,
Thank You!!!

I thought so....I'm glad that misconception was cleared up.

Sooooo....Owen, Whats your new theory???

(NJ)Scott

GeneD
09-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Hey, just noticed something...
If you take a look at the two stern pics of Looped and my boats, you will notice a difference in the vent holes.
His are square, and mine are round. Mine are round because I had to cut them to fit the vents I had gotten. When I bought the boat, it had NO holes at all. Buy there was a round cut out there at one time in it's life. Look closely. Strange huh?
http://www.donzi.net/hull/FLZW7133B87/1drago765-s.jpg

Looped
09-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Gene,
I had a feeling someone would notice that but they are not square. After I took all of the parts off of the deck I covered the round holes with plastic and then I duct taped them so no more water would get in there.

Looped
09-19-2002, 08:15 AM
Gene,
Looking at your last picture it looks like you either had the battery area glassed over or they never made one at the time of your build.

Here are 2 shots of my very dirty battery area:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01bat.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer02bat.jpg

CDMA
09-19-2002, 08:53 AM
Looped,

Some of the earliest 18's ( the triple hatches it seems) don't have the battery compartment.

Chris

Rich
09-19-2002, 09:42 PM
My 66 2plus3 has no battery compartment, but came with a heavy vinyl or rubber coated metal frame to hold the battery mounted between the stringers in front of the engine. There is a matching frame that goes on top of the battery with 2 threaded rod 'J' hooks holding it all together. By the way, the frame was made for an odd size marine battery that I had a heck of a time locating. Sorry for the disgusting looking bilge.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/RichPengine.jpg

CDMA
09-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Rich,

In case you didn't know ( I bet you did) that is the original fuel filter. I have a picture from a review of a 16 in 1965 with that identical piece in it.

Chris

Formula Jr
09-19-2002, 10:02 PM
AAAHHHhhhhh, "Crescent Fresh" Info....... :D

Rich
09-19-2002, 10:13 PM
You mean this 'Crescent Fresh' one?
Yeah Chris.....and Perko still makes 'em
I'm thinking of polishing this one and chroming it. Whatta ya think?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/RichPengine3.jpg

BigGrizzly
09-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Our 1966 16 had the same set up. We moved it to the side for access purposes. Funny people think I did it for speed- not. I like that filter. Ours is polished now- hever do that again took me weeks. The Corsican has a removable canister type and the Criterion has a big one because of fuel flow.

GeneD
09-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Looped, no battery compartment. Never had one. Extremely frustrating too. Lot's of wasted space in the bilge, and I have to mount the battery on a shelf I built on the starboard side of the boat.
Doing bilge work today. Going in and going deep.
If I'm not out in 8 hours, call the fire dept.

Hull #18-83
09-23-2002, 01:28 PM
For the record, hull #83 does not have a battery compartment either. The battery is mounted under the rear seat on the factory installed metal braket between the stringers. I also had the same Perko fuel filter, which I have replaced with a new Fram filter.

By the way, you guys on the east coast have some grungy looking bilges!!!

GeneD
09-24-2002, 07:18 AM
The grungy bilge is a fuction of USE!

Hull #18-83
09-30-2002, 12:41 PM
Rich, YES I did forget you had a picture. BUT, that shot was taken when I first bought the boat. My restoration started with a flat blade shovel to scoop out all the Sh*t from the bilge.

All sano now, no grunge or muck anywhere!

And Gene, all three of my boats get regular exercise! I just like a clean bilge. Makes it much easier to spot problems.

GeneD
10-01-2002, 07:57 AM
:rolleyes:
No strain, no pain...
I get ya!
Hey? Who don't like a clean bilge?
Mine is getting the attention it deserves. Unfortunately, I do not think my gimbal assy is going to be ready this week. Who knows? The guy might surprise me.
But the boat is 90% ready to go. I'm considering dragging it down to prove it, but without a motor, the tongue weight would cripple the Corvette.