PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming in the new model year...

roadtrip se
07-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Talking to a Donzi factory rep at our local boat show today. Plenty of ZX boats, including a real cool ZXO, but not a Classic to be found. Dealer claimed to be sold out...

ZR boat number seven is finally getting done. Some problems with hatch size and CMI rigging on 575s. Plan is to only sell twelve per year through three dealers. 93 at lake X with 500s.
34 or a 32 ZR are a definite possibility in the next couple of years. Hmmmm...

Classics get a face lift in the new model year.
Bolt in dash goes away with platinum monster gauges becoming standard on the 22. Choice of a couple of updated paint jobs on the 18 and 22.
Rally stripe in two colors will come down from the bow, across the dash, and through the upholstery. Should be cool.

Sounds like someone must have been looking at the Classic update thread that circulated here a few months back. Of course, I would expect the Sea Dogs to have pictures in the next few weeks...

Todd

harbormaster
07-13-2002, 06:28 PM
According to RiverRat there were NO Donzi's at the Houston Boat Show. Lets think about that.
One of the Largest boat shows, in one of the largest cities in the US and No Donzi's.

When I go out on the lake and bay I see Baja's, fountains, scarabs, skater, etc. all over. You cannot tell me there is NO market. Only NO marketing.

Donzi Marine!

How about a factory Store down here? I would man it for free a couple of days amonth till it took off.

roadtrip se
07-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Harbormaster,

I hear ya! Although the previous dealer there in Houston was doing Donzi no favors based on my experiences with them. I think the secret is to find someone as a dealer who is passionate about selling sport boats and not just making money. The local dealer here has supposedly sold six Classics into our area and not one has shown up on this board. I too would volunteer to assist a dealer who gets it!

The other issue that bothers me is marketing. When I asked the factory rep yesterday about the ZR and when they intended to capitalize on the racing success like other builders have such as Fountain and Cigarette, I got a blank stare. The proverbial, win on Sunday, sell on Monday question. Can't do that by building twelve, very expensive, limited production boats. His response was that there was no competition for the ZR. Total miss in my opinion. He did add that they might build a few, smaller ZRs, and update the ZX line with some of the styling cues from the race boat.

Sum it up, from my perspective, Donzi has a long way to go in hiring dealers that truly believe in what they are selling and a longer way to go in producing product that will capitalize on their racing success.

All said, I will be in Corpus Christi cheering Team Donzi and Snap-on Tools to another win!

Burning soap box,

Todd

harbormaster
07-15-2002, 02:11 AM
Todd.
Do you have the dates for the Corpus race??

Tidbart
07-15-2002, 06:13 AM
Scot,
See the APBA website for all the details.
http://www.apba-offshore.com/

Corpus Christi, Texas
August 23, 24 & 25th 2002

Nationally Televised!

Bob