PDA

View Full Version : Help! What to fill holes with?

Tidbart
07-13-2002, 02:52 PM
I pulled the planes off the transom because I noticed a screw or two loose. One of holes was stripped out. I want to fill the hole and redrill it before putting the planes back. What should I fill it with?? I plan on siliconing everything when I reinstall it, but that won't allow the screw to grab the wood. Little help, please. I am going to head for West Marine in a while.

Thanks, Bob

MOP
07-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Why not through bolt them, I used 1/4-20's with lock nuts and small flat washers worked out good.

Tidbart
07-13-2002, 04:03 PM
There isn't a chance in hell this fat boy can reach in the engine compartment to do that. There is no room. I have an 18 with a 300 MPI.
I will be better off. Just filling and replacing the screws. Much less time and effort. If these were a new install, I would definitely go that route. Thanks anyway.
Bob

David Ochs
07-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Bob, No doubt about it through bolts and backing plate would be my choice also. On the other hand,you might enjoy using West Systems epoxy. Since you're headed to West Marine anyway, pick up the quart size container and it's counterpart with pumps.This stuff can sit on the shelf for a long time. You'll want to thicken the mixture (Cabosil or facsimile) to fill your holes. When it hardens you can pre-drill and use sheet metal screws. Or, you can coat a machine screw with some "Pam" and set it in the wet mixture inside the hole for a usable threaded hole. Good luck.

Tidbart
07-15-2002, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the advise guys.

Bob

RedDog
07-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Seems like Marine-Tex would work well for filling the hole and then drilling.