PDA

View Full Version : 18 2+3 V drive, how many?

Flash
07-07-2001, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone, I have been a lurker on this site for a long time and never posted.I am going to look, and hopefully buy tomorrow, a 1969 18 2+3 factory vee drive. The gentleman who owns it has owned it for 25 yrs. and has only used it 4 times. He told me a 427 Ford was the stock power. He is selling it to me with out the engine but he has the orig. motor all rebuilt and is selling it seperatly. He wants 7000. for the motor. Does anyone know how many V drive 18`s were made and how do they run? Thanks, Kurt.

Donzitester
07-07-2001, 09:06 PM
Man I sure would try to get the original engine with it. How much is the boat without
the engine versus with the engine.
I havent driven a v-drive 18 but hear they are great!

superhatz
07-07-2001, 09:25 PM
For the love of God man get the boat complete with the engine if you can. That is a rare combo.

Gearhead99
07-07-2001, 10:26 PM
I agree. Try and get the 427 too. They are bringing premium money now a days to the car crowd.

Flash
07-08-2001, 04:00 PM
Hello, I bought the Donzi this afternoon!It looks like it had been in a time capsule for 20 yrs. It is all orig. and never been molested.Ugly yellow gelcoat, and black interior. It has a barrel back transom, Donzi logo on sides are chrome script. and although it looks like a 2+3, the front seat is a bench similar to a Hornet! It appears to be orig. as there are no holes in the cockpit floor for bucket seats, also the lid in the floor is hinged in the middle for front or rear access. I didn`t find any rot and the first thing I did was climb up on the bow and it is solid even with my 230 lbs. up there! The orig 427 Holman Moody Ford was in his workshop and has been totally rebuilt and detailed, but I don`t have the money to buy it right now (he wants 7000. for it)

J&K SHAHBAS
07-08-2001, 08:12 PM
Congrats on your new Donzi. I have 2 V-drives and love them both. Did you at least get the marine hardware? Finding the 427 manafolds and bellhousing and oil coolers are not easy, so try to get them. What is the HULL ID behind the back seat? 7000 is not a bad price if its a side oiler,but mostmarine versions are top oiler and are not as collectable to the car guys. Good luck sounds like a great find.

------------------
WA-LO

ALLAN BROWN
07-09-2001, 08:29 AM
THERE ARE PROBABLY A DOZEN 18'S WITH VEE DRIVES. IF THE DRIVE IS CASALE, IT MIGHT BE A SECRET SERVICE BOAT THAT WE BUILT FOR LAKE LBJ. IF IT IS CRUSADER, IT IS A STOCK BOAT.

BROWNIE

Flash
07-09-2001, 09:48 PM
The drive is a Casale and the under the dash read 18-98 . What do these numbers mean? Thanks, Kurt

ALLAN BROWN
07-10-2001, 07:20 AM
Duh! 18' #98

Brownie

Flash
07-10-2001, 01:40 PM
I should have known that, I must be stupid huh!

BERTRAM BOY
07-10-2001, 04:16 PM
Flash,
Are you sure that boat is a 1969? I have hull #105, and it was built in very late 1966. If you look at some of the other members '66 2+3's, I think you are going to find that your boat was built a lot earlier than you think.

Brownie, Do you remember when they were putting V-drives in 2+3's.

Your LBJ story would seem to make sense for that boat being built in 1966.

BERTRAM BOY

[This message has been edited by BERTRAM BOY (edited 07-10-2001).]

Greg
07-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Mine is dated 8-31-66 and numbered 92 was also signed by Bill.

Flash
07-10-2001, 06:53 PM
The owner said he thought it was a 69 but was not sure. He had owned it for 25 yrs. and the fact that it had a barrel back transom and the chrome Donzi script logo made me think it was earlier. I spent the day scrubbbing and cleaning out mouse nests (it has been in storage for 20 yrs) I am trying to get the money together to buy the motor,I spoke with the guy I bought it from today and he is going to hold it for me. He wants to see it go back together and go for a ride. Thanks for the input!!This is the seventh Classic that I have owned and it is the most unique by far! Keep the info coming please!

Flash
07-10-2001, 06:59 PM
Mad poodle,I found the boat sat. morn while thumbing through the local want adds and it was about an hour from home!!! Just kinda fell into my lap!!

Flash
07-11-2001, 06:33 AM
It has a single hatch. In my first post I stated that it has a bench seat, after removing it I found the holes for the bucket seats. I am in need of a pair of buckets complete with stands. Thanks, Kurt

Flash
07-11-2001, 05:45 PM
I bought the motor this afternoon. This project is taking over my life and I can`t sleep. All I talk about is this boat and I think my wife is going to kill me!

boldts
07-11-2001, 09:12 PM
Flash,
I know what your talking about. Has I was putting together our gathering at Lake Cumberland Kentucky, not a night went by when I was talking about some part of the event to my wife. If May had not finally gotten here, I think she would have hung me by my tongue. It appears that you have found a real needle in the haystack and now you have the 427 to go with it. What do you think, can I get you to plan a trip to Kentucky in May next year? Sure would like to see the boat in person.

Scott Boldt
Midwest Donzi Club

jaroot
07-11-2001, 09:49 PM
i kick myself regularly when i think about this.. back in my late teens - early 20's when i worked at a local marina they repowered an old hatteras and tossed BOTH 427's in a dumpster where they sat for the 3 years i worked there... they were minus intakes and ignition and had crushed oil pans but were otherwise complete... and well they were frozen up... but minor details eh... i still want to kick my own butt when realize i didn't put em in the back of the truck to take home... i went back a few years later and they were long gone.... how could i commit such a sin????