PDA

View Full Version : I'm going nuts!

David Ochs
07-13-2002, 01:29 PM
I pulled the motor from the boat about six weeks ago to find a small oil leak. When I say small, it was about 2 tablespoons over the entire winter. Since it leaked while not running, I assumed it had to be the drain fitting. With engine on a stand, I removed the pan and replaced the gaskets and made sure the drain fitting would no longer be a problem. Two days ago I filled it up with oil and sure as hell I discovered the culprit. On the side of the pan is a factory something about 2" square, rivited on with a little tit about 1" sticking out of it. I've always known it was there but never paid attention to it, thinking it might be some sort of auxilary dipstick location. Anyway, oil is seeping from this thing. At this point I think I'll just goop a bunch of silicone all around it and hope for the best.
Who knows what that thing is and what else can I do to fix it? Should I buy an aftermarket pan? It sure would be nice to get the boat in the water, at least once this summer!

MOP
07-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Problem with patches they usualy don't last, pans are fairly cheap. I would do new, paint it good then use automotive undercoating to keep it from rusting.

BigGrizzly
07-13-2002, 09:15 PM
David that is a oil dip stick fitting. That is what my stock motor has. Clean it patch it than pull the motor after Eufala and replace the pan or weld it.

Randy

David Ochs
07-13-2002, 11:19 PM
Randy, That's a new one on me! What the heck is "Eufala" ?

ToonaFish
07-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Eufala is the only word Randy consistently spells correctly!

It is also the Seadog's gathering on Labor Day in lower Alabama... you would win the longest tow award, hands down!

Bunches,

Celene 'blueberry stained from stern to bow'

Tomahawk
07-14-2002, 05:41 AM
Forrest - I don't have the heart to say anything. wink
Getting a late start on a vacation trip this morning!