PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Mercruiser ll replacement???

Ted S
07-06-2001, 10:36 PM
I have to replace the Mercruiser II on my '73 X-18 because I can't find a mechanic who will touch it. (too old) If anyone knows a mechanic in NJ who works on old outdrives please tell me. My engine puts out between 350 to 400 hp. Will an Alpha handle this or should I look for a Bravo assembly. Also, I know the Bravo can be set up for either left or right rotation, is this also true with the Alpha? Thanks for any help.

Forrest
07-07-2001, 09:23 AM
Mercrusier II ?? Do you mean the Mercruiser drive without through hull exhaust and has the stop-sign shaped transom assemebly???

------------------
Forrest

Ted S
07-07-2001, 11:33 AM
Forrest, thats the one. You identified it for me a few months back. It has a speedmaster lower unit. No mechanic I've found wants to work on it because the're not familiar with it or don't have the proper tools. I think one of the real reasons is that there is alot of work available this time of year and they dont want to get involved in a job that may become a project and a pain in the #@*!. This is why I think it's time to upgrade. I'd appreciate any information you could give me or the choices available. Thanks, Ted