PDA

View Full Version : Pingin' again!

James Adcock
07-12-2002, 10:29 AM
How well do Volvo drives holdup? Parts avail? If I can afford it should I look at something new(with a Bravo)? Is this a stupid question? I like the older boats,especially without a windshield. Are the Alphas ok behind a mild mill? Yeh, I'm sure one can expect a $bill around the corner. I've read on the board here before about the King Cobras being hard to get parts for and help with. Should that make them "more" avoidable? If need be can late model equipment be retro'd to an older boat? Is the correct way to replace a fuel tank require splitting the deck and hull?

RedDog
07-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Finding parts for a King Cobra is no problem - maybe that is because they seldom need them :D

Really - my perception is that a good supply exists. Maybe 1 day it could be a problem but I wouldn't worry about it now.

mattyboy
07-12-2002, 11:37 AM
the corbras are good drives strong like volvo,
parts are easy to find on the volvos except for the E drive, you prop selection is not as wide as the merc's

I'm not easy on my boat, and the volvo has been on it for some 30 yrs and has only being rebuilt to my knowledge once I don't think and alpha would come close
yup to get at the tank on most classics you have to lift the deck
CMDA and Scott Pearson have done total resto's and repower with merc's on older boats

hope that helps

matt
Matt

James Adcock
07-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I got more questions if you are up to them and don't mind. Gotta get out of here while I can (work)! Later, Jamie

mattyboy
07-12-2002, 12:12 PM
ask em! :D

Matt

mattyboy
07-12-2002, 02:22 PM
James,
If you haven't noticed, there is a pattern developing here
the guys with the cobra drives love their boats, and think their is best, the same from the volvo guys, the same from the merc guys, we are all happy with our boats.
what you have not heard is someone who is not happy with their Donzi.
you'll know when it is right,
we were all in your shoes at one time, and probably get back in those shoes from time to time

good luck

matt

Marlin275
07-12-2002, 02:31 PM
I called Donzi Marine when my gas tank went bad and they said to cut the liner no need to split the deck.
Some good glass/gel work later and you can't tell it was cut.

James Adcock
07-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Matt, Yes I have noticed a trend here.That's cool!I'm guessing from the questions that I've asked most anything is repairable(but not necessarly cheaply)? It would seem to me if you enjoy what you're doin',do it!That what I gather here. I've read some of the posts that reflected what some people spend on their toys.I can relate.I'll just keep up with the DD. Thanks for your time, ALL of you. I'm looking foward to my new addition(soon!) and hopefully meeting some of you! Jamie