PDA

View Full Version : Cracks along the strakes

Ralph Savarese
07-06-2001, 04:10 PM
After a complete Restoration I Have cracks returning on my lower strakes about 4 ft from the transom extending to the transom . where the lower strake attaches to the hull on the inboard lower sides. Both sides of the boat are the same . Is there wood in there ? Is that why they eliminated those from going all the way to the stern due to high flex area. Is there wood in there? I don't know what I should do .Ralph

[This message has been edited by Ralph Savarese (edited 07-06-2001).]

RickR
07-06-2001, 04:59 PM
Bummer! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

I am not a glassman but are the cracks below the stringers? The stringers have wood in them.

Are they gelcoat cracks or deeper.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Ralph Savarese
07-06-2001, 06:15 PM
I think the cracks seem to be where the Strake mates to the hull yes the stringers are right above them on the inside of the hull these cracks are on the outside.It seems to be the hull and strake flexing separately at that point I don't know if the stringers might be putting added stress from the inside.
Ralph

Lonzis Donzi
07-08-2001, 09:46 PM
what is the model and year of your boat?

------------------
'88 Z-21, bigblock, bravo

BigGrizzly
07-09-2001, 07:35 AM
Are you talking about eibs or strakes? This happens to the ribs righy where they end at the top of the V. Seen this alot on older boats.

Randy

Ralph Savarese
07-09-2001, 10:15 AM
This is a 66 18ft 2+3 the cracks are along the lower strakes on the outside of the hull where the lower portion attaches to the hull . They run from the transom up about 4 feet toward the front of the boat.It seems to be pretty much where they eliminated them on the newer ones beyond 67

Formula Jr
07-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Ralph, when you reglassed the stringers to the hull, did you flute the corners with glass?