PDA

View Full Version : Events & Gatherings 2003 and Beyond

GEOO
09-09-2002, 01:48 PM
I have a suggestion. How would everyone feel if we tried to take one location every year and have that event be the largest, "Most Important", Event of the year. Too many Donzi outings, not enough time... I enjoy going to different parts of the county and meeting all the new people and seeing their Donzi's; Lake Cumberland (AOTH), Lake George, Lake Winnipesaukee, New Jersey Events and would love to go to other events like Eufaula, Thunder on the Bay, Lake of The Ozarks, 1000 Island's, Donzi's Homecomming, ect...
I think we can have all the local regional events like we have now, but get Donzi's full support and make one event, the Major event, every year a different region could host the event. I don't want to take anything away from the local the regional events they are very important. I think it would be nice to have one larger gathering which we all can try to attend.

Comment's Suggestion Welcomed...

mattyboy
09-09-2002, 02:36 PM
George
I think that's a good idea but let's take it a step further, let's set a date where the weather is good all around say for arguments sake the 2nd weekend in Aug, so this year on that weekend the event is in the west, 2004 the event is in the south, and so on. so it is always the same weekend, Donzi can be the main sponsor, with the support of their local dealers,as well as local clubs and owners. this way we don't step on the local events and the national event is moved around. this might start some clubs where there are none now, should help the dealers as well if they now an event is planned they can have some
perspective cust there to see all the boats new and old alike, maybe even some tv coverage on nascar vision.the only thing would be getting the boats there?

Matt

Scott Pearson
09-09-2002, 05:43 PM
George,
I know you and I talked about this on Lake George. I think its a great idea. We just need a way to put it all in stone and get everyones support. I know its hard for everyone to make all the events, seems its getting tougher to get the time off. Im sure that your idea for one hugh get together we would have a great turnout.

We just need to set a date early so we can all plan ahead. I would have loved to go to Sarasoda to the Donzi Factory party but it was not planned till the last minute. I know that alot of people wanted to go and I'm sure Donzi would have even a better turn out if we had the dates 8 months ago.

Anyway....Its a great idea.

(NJ)Scott

Last Tango
09-09-2002, 07:14 PM
It seems to me that Scott Boldts has already done this annual event thing for us for two years, now. AOTH, same time, same place. Central location. High probability of good weather. Great location, nice hotel, launch ramp, dockage, party space, fresh water. Good run locations on Friday and Saturday. Longest tows are from Florida, Maine, and Texas, but plenty of folks still show up from all three locations.
This is the third Donzi Factory Gathering. Factory has its priorities, and with races, shows, tournaments, and other events that they are asked to participate in, I'm just thankful as all get out they do this event, when they can. I attended the previous two Gatherings, and they were last minute hotel reservations, just like this. Appearantly, we are the tail trying to wag the dog on this one. Mike and Nick Miller are VERY aware of the scheduling problem of waiting until the last minute, but that is an issue which is NOT this Registry's. If you want to plan events long range, then do so. If your long range event plan conflicts with the Factory event schedule, then either cancel your event or run your event, whichever your local Donziphiles choose. As Curator and Supreme SEADOG, we just sort of wait until Donzi announces THEIR plan before we schedule anything big at this time of year, since we ALL want to go to Sarasota.
Donzi is unlikely to schedule any events at the factory in midsummer. Too many other issues on their platter in the summer. Too hot and rainy in Sarasota, annual dealer meeting in July is Prioity ONE and takes many months to prepare, APBA racing is predominantly during those months, and fishing tournaments are primarily then (remember that these same guys do all the Donzi ZF and Proline fishing events as well). The Fall season actually BEGINS the boating season here in Florida, and we still have enough whiners when it comes to the three major college football teams here, that some scheduling has to happen around all that as well.

I'm TOTALLY in favor of your suggestions, by the way. I LOVE the idea of one major annual event each year, hosted in a different location (then you need to find somebody in each location capable and willing to host a major event in their locale). I think we have a LOT of Donzi events on the calendar already that can easily suffice to fit your parameters. I won't be towing to Lake George, NY, or Lake Tahoe, NV. And nobody can really expect to make all the great events that are hosted throughout the summer. But, heck, give it a try.

AS Supreme SEADOG, I can already tell you that we enjoy a very healthy and enjoyable calendar of events all year long. We would be pleased to invite (as have we always) all Donziphiles to our events. We have a 12 month season. We already offer three major events (Eufala-Labor Day Weekend, Sarasota-July Dealers meeting, Sarasota-Fall Factory Annual Gathering) and and three minor events (Mt. Dora Classic Boat Show -Spring, Palatka - Mid-November, and Porkeys Landing - Mid December), and several new ideas coming.
Don't forget that the powers that be in Sarasota are also planning an event that involves Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (besides the boat show) and involves the islands to the EAST some 50 miles, and a whole bunch of Donzi's going there for a major party weekend. Dates have not been established, but the conversations are alive and well.
Yada yada yada...ramble ramble...sorry.

If you plan it, they will come...

FASTEDDIE
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Our scheduling problems in Lake George are huge. We host the largest motorcycle event in the northeast called Americade the first full week in June. Bass fishing tournaments fill all boat docks in Motels that Donzi owners need for their boats. July and August is our main tourist season and I keep away from those months because our rates are at the highest. Americade blocks 1st week in June ,we take Fathers Day weekend, following weekend no one shows to anyones meetings because of high school and college graduations, July and August are out,Labor Day is big bucks,last weekend to make a buck,thus our picnic is following weekend when rates drop and rooms are availabe. We had 60,000 people at Americade this year. You had to go 60 miles South of Lake George to get a room. You can schedule any event in Lake George in July or August,but you can't get rooms for everyone and restaurants won't let us use their upstairs for meetings because this is there peak season, And forget clogging their Docks with 60 Donzi's for the afternoon while they turn away lunch and dinner business customers. Take it from me,I've done 14 Donzi meets. There is a sucessful formula and if you deviate,you will have low attendance and a flop for a meet.There are many many people who will not put their boats in Salt water,I am one of those because I don't have to. No one meet can be local for everyone. Someone somewhere will have to come too far no matter who hosts the meet.Regional meets are more convenient,less expensive,require less time off,require less travel and reach more Donzi owners.

Dr. Dan
09-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Wow, what a concept... I agree with all that has been said above, and Mark makes some great points regarding Donzi Marines priorities/committments! In my opinion :p and we all know what that is worth, it seems that as individual "Donzi Owners" we should just decide which events we will attend each boating season! I know Liz and I made a valiant attempt to attend all the EVENTS that we wanted...and with the exception of Eufuala(which we missed)we hit some pretty impressive gatherings and events this year! Aoth II, Winnie, Thunder On The Bay and The Fall Lake George Picnic...and hopefully the Owners Rally! :D All of this being said I think it is reasonable to try to make as many gatherings as possible but not practicle to do them all...I think that each event has it's own draw and merits! Awakening is Fun because it is the first Run of the Year and it gives you a Gamblers chance to risk Snow,Rain, Ridiculously Steep Launch Ramps and Blast through Log Jams at very high rates of Speed!...But because we all have terminal cabin fever by May...we need the Donzi fix,those that want to do the Trek to that location are rewarded with the unique Awakening eek! that is the First Event of our Core Events...which is cool, maybe it's not for everyone,but again it's a matter of individual choice! I think it's great that through this Board we have continued to grow the attendence and diversity of Clubs and Gathering Associations that is the Heart and Soul of the Donzi Owners! This is what makes us one of the strongest "Owner Based Boating Groups" on the planet! Next year Liz and I will rotate to some alternate Events as they are announced, but there will always be blanks in my calender for some key/core Events, some which are scheduled on a reasonably regular seasonal time frame so we know when to allow for our trip! It's a difficult choice for sure, I look at these events as "candy in a candy store" and you all are the reason we drive sooooo many miles to attend these things wink ! Let's just keep the scheduling as advanced as we can and those that are closest to a particular event will more than likely find that Event more convenient to attend than one that is further away or ill timed for their families' schedule? :D Here's to another great year of Donzi Events & Gatherings! BTW....This years Thunder On The Bay was leaps and bounds better than last years event! You know why? Because we had more Classic Owners attend...Next August(9th) we plan on having even more...so make plans to visit the beautiful "Fresh Water End" of the Chesapeake Bay...you won't regret it! :rolleyes: Plus it's centrally located to most on the Eastern Seaboard, which means it's less than a full days drive, :cool: Cool how that works Huh?...In the near future I will be announcing the formation of a new "Atlantic Coast Donzi Owners Association" which will support the development and growth of owner based events for our "Registry Members"! Currently we have a small core group that expressed an interest in participating...as more info. becomes available I will post it...sorry for the rambling... :D Doc

Formula Jr
09-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Tango, you are right on - nail on the head. I wrote and then deleted three messages in the same vein but since thats not my turf, what I had to say was specious. Any National Event has to be geographically feasible to the most People. Right now, THAT IS AOTH. Lake of OZ isn't that far away so there really can be some play and leverage for best deals. That is a great combo. Its unfortunate though that we can't find an area of "Natural Water" as a central local - ie rollers and long wind effect waves. Maybe the Great Lakes holds some promise somewhere. I for one, am done with boat wakes as entertainment -- Natural Water is just so much better. The only site I can see that would superceed AOTH would be the Chesapeak Bay Area ( as Dr. Dan has said) Or the Thunder Bay Crew - but you guys have to head down to at least South River: Central, yet interesting wave action but "oh my god: :rolleyes: ", some brackish salt. :D

boldts
09-11-2002, 02:14 AM
I'll through in .02 worth here just because I started AOTH.

Fasteddie is a much better organizer than I am, but I'm still learning and with each fantastic May "Awakening", I learn more. This year, I didn't do very well in the meals area. ($20 Hamburgers and Hotdogs eek! ) Yes, I am still getting ribbed about that one, but I know it is all in good fun. Lesson learned and looking for a better way for next year. I'm not looking to be the one who holds the biggest, badest, most Donzi boats, gathering. It wouldn't bother me if myself and one other Donzi owner showed up at our event. It's about Donzi owners getting together to enjoy each other's company and the boats we love to show off. The friends that I have made in the last 2 years are some of my fondest memories. Mustang's phrase "Boldts.....Be Quiet" Those of you who have met me know that I am a very quiet type of person. Bryan Tuvell, Roadtrip SE, Grizzly becoming the type of friends who would and have done anything for each other! If it weren't for Grizzly and his Criterion, I might still be wondering around Sarasota somewhere. A ride in a 80 + MPH Donzi. These are all memories I now have because I have attended some of the Donzi gatherings including our annual AOTH.

This is what these gatherings are all about! I to like many others can not possibly attend every gathering held every year except for the one I started. Beth and I usually try to go to a new one that we have not attended before each year. Primarily because I like the freedom and opportunity that we as Americans have the good fortune to enjoy to do so. I enjoy seeing new places and bodies of water. Since I have so much "Natural water", I naturally prefer that, but that doesn't mean that I do not attend a salt water gathering all be it maybe with-out my Classic. How many Donzi owners with a dock locked ocean running boat do you think would attend a gathering anywhere but a ocean event that they can get to by their boat? AOTH is open to all Donzi owners no matter what model Donzi they own. We don't turn anyone away, even if they are enjoying a boat other than a Donzi. Who knows, one day they may actually decide they have to have a Donzi just the way I did when I saw the 18 Classic. After all, if a boat owner wants to spend a long weekend with a bunch of wild and crazy Donzi owners, that's their choice.

Fasteddie touched on the cost and availability problems in putting a gathering on. Cost is one of the reasons AOTH has been scheduled in May. How-ever, because of this early date, this year we found that the spring floods had not reseeded and there was much more debri in the lake than the first year of the event. Except for a colder than normal Friday this year, the weather has been just beautiful for both of the AOTH gatherings held so far. I am currently researching a July date to get the gathering off of Mother's Day and allow the lake to clear up. Problem is, that is prime time vacation, houseboat style, time on Lake Cumberland. Rates are higher and rooms, docks, restaurants, full.

I have asked people who have attended the event about moving to other lakes and the over whelming response has been "WHY?" I thought maybe more folks would like a club to go to or somewhere closer to other attractions for family members. For those of you who have not been to Cumberland, it is located in a dry county. How-ever, I've not seen anyone have a problem the last 2 years obtaining a refreshment of choice. You know going into it to bring your own refreshments what-ever they may be.

Those who say these gatherings can't happen with-out help from Donzi or their dealers are way way off base. The first year, AOTH did not have a sponsor until about a month before the event when Mike Doyle at Sandollar Yacht & RV offered to buy our Sunday morning Mother's Day breakfast. Mr. Doyle helped us again this year and I hope that the relationship with this Donzi dealership continues for many more years, but if for some reason it can't, AOTH will still happen because of the Donzi owners attending the gathering. This year a new sponsor, Prestige Trailers came on board through the help of Robert Nelmes. A Donzi dealer in Alabama of all places. Prestige was nice enough to provide everyone in attendance with one of their t-shirts and the money awards for our poker hands. Neither of these 2 sponsors has asked me to place their companies on our AOTH t-shirts, how-ever, I am pleased to display their company ad on the Midwest Donzi Club's website. Last but not least, Mike Miller, Donzi's Director of Marketing has attended AOTH the past 2 years. He must of said that first year "Where the HE** is Jamestown, KY and how can there be any Donzi boats or owners there?" He even brought a PROLINE sign instead of a DONZI sign with him! Sorry Mike, it was just to funny! If Mr. Miller said he couldn't come in the future, the great thing about a Donzi gathering is that IT WILL STILL HAPPEN because of the people attending and the friendships they have made by attending and meeting others with the same addiction as them.

Last of all on the subject, with-out the Donzi Registry and the hard work of the Harbormaster in his spare time, AOTH would have never grown to the event it is at present. At least not in 2 years. This year thanks to an idea submitted by a friend that helped me create AOTH, we held an auction of various donated items brought to the gathering by the attendees. I decided that half of the money made from this auction should go to the person who helped me get the word out to all of you and never asked for a dime from me for advertising the gathering on the Registry. I'm sure that everyone in attendance including myself has noticed the upgrades to the Donzi Registry that have occurred lately and are proud to know that half of their auction money as gone to keeping a wonderful SPRIRT alive and kicking on this website. You'd be hard pressed to find this type of website and truly a family amongst any other boat manufacturer! Thanks Mr. VanAlstine!

Sorry, but what I usually have a difficult time saying in person, just seems to flow through the finger tips when I write about our gatherings. I gave all of you about $2000 worth instead of .02.

Scott Boldt
President of the Midwest Donzi Club
http://www.mwdonziclub.com