PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Donzi's

jelson
07-05-2001, 10:05 AM
The last kid's thru college and now it's my turn. I'm looking for a pre 90 22' 2+3. Any suggestions on what to look for - or to look out for. If I remember correctly it was about 1990 that there was an owner change at Donzi and construction standards suffered for awhile??

TRU-JACK
07-05-2001, 10:55 AM
My understanding is that OMC were in charged and the quality did suffer greatly, but i'm going on what i've heard and not what i know. I do know that the older OMC drives were not very good, in fact, pretty bad. I think that the cobra's were in production in the OMC years, and i understand that they're much better than the old 'white' drives. I too am interested in an older boat and would appreciate any help as to what 'years' are not worth considering.

Forrest
07-05-2001, 11:02 AM
The OMC Classics were built well and the King Cobras were good, but maybe RickR can set this issue straight. He's had his hands on both OMC and AMH built Classic Donzis.

------------------
Forrest

Len
07-05-2001, 10:57 PM
I think RickR (now owned by Reddog) will say that he was happy with his OMC boat. Prior they were 1965-ish -1988 them OMC took over. Then in 1994-95- ish AMH got it. I think the OMC KING COBRA comes with high regards,...but I don't want one 'cuz they aren't black... and usually had FORDS behind them. (My upbringing)...Lenny

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-05-2001).]

RickR
07-06-2001, 04:54 PM
My 90 18 is a great boat! It has better glass work and rigging than my 1995 22. She was built in Goshen Indiana by CRAFTSMAN.
The King Cobra drive w/cone clutch is just as good or better than the Bravo but parts may be hard to find in the future. That's why the OMC years sell at a discount.

If the choice was between a Alpha or a King Cobra I'd choose the King. I've also heard the early Bravo's (87-90) were a little weak and did not have a gear lube circulating pump.

Donzi and American Holdings have come a long way since 1995. The new Donzis are layed up and rigged very well http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Why not just get a new one with 500HP http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Kent Perroux
07-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Put me in for a 22 classic stretched to 25', with a very small cabin, a mercury super series engine, race faring (no windsheild) carbon fiber topped stringers, foot throttle, oh, and a parachute.