PDA

View Full Version : Research and knowledge!

James Adcock
07-12-2002, 05:54 AM
Stix, You said if I want a turn key to buy a turn key. I realize that a buyer should always be aware of what they purchase, especially a used large purchase like a boat,car,bike,whatever. Is it safe to assume (don't like the word!) that a newer or "extensively" reconditioned boat would be a better candidate to qualify as a turn key? What are some key items/areas to look for or at? IMHO all manufacturers can produce a less than desirable product,part or combination of things. Are there any items that should be avoided or at least heavily scrutinized like certain engines,drives,etc...? No, It would not be fun to spend the extra $ for a nicer boat only to have it cost you more later.Yes, You take a chance when you buy used and yes, its a boat=$,but a little knowlage never hurts. Then again a new one can be purchased and still break. Yes, you have a warran$ee, but they still cost you. Woodsy,ExTr,M.O.P., Thanks,Jamie
Stix, Its Friday, have a good weekend

mattyboy
07-12-2002, 09:30 AM
things to look for

gas tanks on older boats rot and leak

drives- and alpha pushing high hp for long hrs
or a king corbra strong drives but parts and mechanics hard to find.

the deck gets weak on the older boats

turn key is different to everyone, I looked at a boat that was mechanically sound but cosmetically challenged, this boat would run trouble free but I'm not good with paint or glass work so I passed and got a boat that was closer to mint.
Every boat owner should know that a big repair bill is just around the corner,

I have a 67-68 16 with a volvo, that was redone recently all I've done is change fluids, tune up wax and gas it, alot of people have older boats they hold up OK with proper care
good luck

Matt