PDA

View Full Version : broken prop blade

blackhawk
07-04-2001, 11:20 PM
Running accross Torch Lake at about 65-70 mph earlier today when "something" broke. Major vibration very quick. So I shut it down immediately and pop the engine hatch. Nothing obvious broken. What the hell? So I start it back up, engine sounds fine. Put it in gear, everything sounds fine at idle. Give it a little gas, fricken motor about jumps out of the engine hatch. I never thought to check the props. Hell, the water is so deep there I knew there was no way I hit something. So, we idle back to the trailer. About 12 miles away at 5 mph, you do the math!!! Get it on the trailer, tow it home. I start to remove my tie-downs and out of the corner of my eye I see a whole blade is missing off my front prop! I have heard of this before but I figured that you would have to hit something first. Plus, for those of you who haven't seen a blackhawk prop, they're thick at the base. What causes this? Who has a pair of blackhawk props for sale? Need 31's or maybe 33's. I was going to buy a set of them last year for spares. Kickin' myself now.

RickSE
07-05-2001, 11:04 AM
I've heard the props are what makes the Blackhawk a difficult drive to maintain, hard to find and expensive.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 07-05-2001).]

EricG
07-05-2001, 06:55 PM
www.marinewholesale.com (http://www.marinewholesale.com)

They've got a set of 31 Blackhawk Props for $799.....I saw these guys at the Seattle Boat Show in January....I haven't bought anything from them, but they had a lot of drives, etc that all looked pretty good. They are up here in the Seattle area - may be worth checking out....Good luck!

EG

roadtrip2
07-06-2001, 10:32 AM
Blackhawk,
Go to the offshoreonly.com page. I asked some similar questions around the drive and parts availability in the tech section. There were a couple of parts houses recomended. I am sure that you will find the responses in the archives there. Good luck, Todd

blackhawk
07-06-2001, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys! I ended up finding a brand new set and one used (the one that broke) in a package deal. So now I'll have a brand new set on the drive and a used spare set. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif