PDA

View Full Version : still not cooling right away...

Tony
07-03-2001, 11:26 PM
Even after a new impeller, and taking care of the sloppy pulley, I still do not start passing water thru my cooling system right away. In fact, I have to put 'er up on plane for a second or two to get the flow started, kind of like "priming it". What might my problem be? Do I have an slight leak that drains the plumbing? How would I troubleshoot this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'd like to be in tip-top shape for the upcoming Les Cheneaux Islands gathering!

Happy 4th of July to everyone!!!

Gearhead99
07-04-2001, 09:09 AM
You didn't put a gasket between the housings on the pump?? It has to have a "tight" fit between the impeller and the housing or cover. Sounds like you're forcing it to prime cause you have to get boat up on plane.

[This message has been edited by Gearhead99 (edited 07-04-2001).]

Tony
07-04-2001, 11:02 PM
I did use a gasket, I chose the thicker of the two paper ones provided with the impeller, and used a thin film of permatex. Thanks Scott, I'll try to check the gasket at the water neck...if I can locate it!

jdsdonzi
07-05-2001, 08:15 AM
You might have a restriction in the oil cooler section or if you have a fresh water flush tee. If you picked up any sand or small pebles the tee has a check valve in it that will get stuck and restrict water flow at low speeds.

JimG205
07-05-2001, 08:38 AM
Tony-check the circulating pump on the front of the block.Jim G.

Gearhead99
07-05-2001, 08:35 PM
I would use the thinner gasket. The impeller has to be TIGHT against the housing ends.