PDA

View Full Version : Registry Clubhouse or Future Beer Can

WOT-sup
09-08-2002, 12:27 PM
How's this for an opportunity...
'They' are actively scrapping -40Series DC-10 aircraft. The final flights for these aircraft occurred just a few days ago. These beauties are coming out of active service and being cut up to be converted into Future Beer Cans (FBC). Supposedly a stripped aluminum fuselage (about 170' x 20') has a scrap value of only about 50K. With the purchase of, say, a 60' section of a hull we could be the only kids on the block to have a DC-10 clubhouse! What could be better: 2 stories tall, water-proof and lots of durable windows.

Question is: which block?? Where to put it? I'm thinking maybe on pontoons and moored it in the anchorage at Dinner Key in Coconut Grove. Anybody have a piece of property near a suitable body of water where we could just set it. How about on an island in Lake Winnie?? How would this fit into the environs of Lake George?? How about we get a spot near/on Lake Cumberland???? Now there's an idea, good central location and close to the 'bone yard'.

Over the past year, a couple of dozen of these have made their way of the evil chop shop.
If we act now, we can save at least a slice of one of the few remaining from becoming a FBC !

However on the other hand, I like beer too, so whatever.

Do we need a Clubhouse????? Pass the hat??? What da ya say??????? wink

knee deep
09-08-2002, 04:23 PM
A brilliant idea!

I think in fairness to all members we should make it amphibious, we could either drive it down the road on its wheels, or take it up and down the ICW.

Palmer Johnson Yachts in Savannah does interiors, as does Roscioli here in Lauderdale, this is a first class club, we need a first class facility.

We ought to talk to the people at Mercruiser, and solicit a donation. When we are not using it they could use it to test outdrives!

I'd really rather have a Volvo but.........

Last Tango
09-08-2002, 04:42 PM
About a dozen years ago, I saw a DC-3 driving around the streets of Fort Lauderdale. Maybe we can find that...it is already converted and on a running chassis.
Or maybe we can get Oscar-Meyer to give us one of its old Wienermobiles and some Wienerwhistles.

Or maybe I can convince the club to buy my 2000 Z3250 to take to all the events.

:D

ToonaFish
09-08-2002, 11:56 PM
Okay, guys, step slowly away from the crack pipe...

Besides, doesn't Pearson already have one?

Dr. Dan
09-09-2002, 08:08 AM
:D Yeah, I am pretty sure he has a crack pipe! :D Just re read his famous "Hood Scoop Installation commentary" when you are in doubt!...Doc