PDA

View Full Version : More Merc Outdrive problems

Bryan Tuvell
07-03-2001, 05:33 PM
Cruising along at 55MPH, after 3 hours of 20MPH tubing, 100 yards from the dock and ALL OF A SUDDEN, no drive, no bang, no thump, no nothing, just NO DRIVE and
BEEP BEEP, 220 degrees.... engine is fine. NO DRIVE...
Brought her home, let her cool, she still won't engage the outdrive and will not pick up water from the ears...

So the END of another great boating day sucked....
Thoughts?
Bryan

RickR
07-03-2001, 05:55 PM
Sounds like your engine coupler failed.
Did you smell burned rubber?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Bryan Tuvell
07-03-2001, 06:09 PM
Yep, there was an odd smell... Is there a web link that shows a diagram?

Please explain.
Bryan

RickR
07-03-2001, 06:28 PM
The coupler attaches to the flywheel. It has a rubber bushing to absorb impacts (like a drive failing http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif or a prop impact)
On some engines you can see the drive shaft at the rear of the engine. If you can see yours check to see if the drive shaft is turning (while under laod if possible).

Replacement requires removing drive and engine. But it was probably caused from your drive failure so I would expect warranty to cover it. Before you make the call check if prop bushings and couplers are excludded from your warranty.

This microfische (Http://216.37.204.201/mercruiser_oem/mercruiser.asp?type=13&subtype=111&a=82&b=19) is for a 97 350 Mag

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 07-03-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
07-03-2001, 09:34 PM
RickR, just emailed ya...
After a couple beers with my bud down the street (a marine mechanic) his comments were it is a hard sell on a coupler idea, why would it fail at 210 hours.... plus she got hot before she died, that is how I got above 220 degrees and got the alarm at the end of the evolution..... He did add that this could be justification that Donzi and other manufactures should not use Alpha's for 350 Mag's....., BUT, his bet is on the lower unit. He offered to pull the drive to see if the shaft was spinning but I will leave well enough alone until my regular Donzi dealer mechanic can look at it. They left me a key so I could drop the boat off tomorrow a.m.
ZCare page 10, does not cover a worn coupler... BUT, the brand new outdrive I just got 5/16/01 (built 4/25/01) has 1 year Merc warranty, let alone Zcare, the tricky part is that I caught a crab pot last weekend so the drive has some scratches on it.... so did the bottom end fail, or fail as a result of the crab pot?
Could be even trickier, State Farm says I may get a new outdrive any how, the surveyor came today from N.C., an independant co. He faxes the survey to the marine folks at state farm and they decide...
Regardless, I will authorize the work so there is no delay and cover it with my own funds.
Bummed in VA.. Bryan

Also, momma on the other hand says trade the boat (she saw the 26 shoot out article I think) and get a Bravo drive..... she must be reading my magazines!

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 07-03-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
07-04-2001, 11:06 AM
RickR, tried to call ya, sorry if it was too late.

I took your advice, I checked the output shaft from the engine. She turns when started, so it must be the drive.
Thanks. Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 07-04-2001).]

BillR
07-05-2001, 07:11 AM
Sounds like the coupler gave out.
The "Lead Sled" blew out the starboard one last weekend. This is the second time for him. John found out Merc has a hi-performance coupler available. Since it appears you have to replace your, look into the better unit.

Also why not just get a new boat.....come on help out the economy!!!

Bryan Tuvell
07-05-2001, 09:45 AM
Bill, the output shaft is turning, I just left Rivercraft and they guess an upper unit etc, they will tear it down in a day or two..

See ya on the water in a couple weeks if I am lucky.
Bryan

RickSE
07-05-2001, 10:53 AM
Bryan,
6.2L, Bravo-1, $46,000. It's calling your name.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/22zx_1.jpg

Sorry I had to get that out of my system. Sorry about your problems Bryan. Is there a clutch pack in the Alpha that may have gone bad? When you hit the crab pot did any line wrap around your prop?

RickSE
07-05-2001, 12:51 PM
Bryan,
My dad called just after I posted, his price now on the 22ZX is $43,000. His invoice price on the boat and trailer is close to $46K. I didn't think he'd go below the invoice but he did. Please someone buy this boat. I'd buy it myself but I can't afford it right now.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 07-05-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
07-05-2001, 03:40 PM
RickS: I would do it in a minute, I can afford it, and have plenty of cash flow. ONLY problem is my '99 22ZX which will have the 2nd new drive installed next week, 2 boats is not an option.

I do have an idea.... Bryan

RickSE
07-05-2001, 03:56 PM
I understand Bryan. I'm in a similar situation, we just bought a new truck and have too many things going on right now to be able to afford a new boat. Good luck on the drive.

Bryan Tuvell
07-06-2001, 08:14 PM
UPDATE, Merc guy says Mercury covers the new drive for one year, so 3 weeks meets that criteria!!! And for me to be patient and a treat will come.... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif
No $$ out of my pocket....

I will give the Alpha one more chance, if she breaks again this year I will trade the 22ZX for a new boat. I have shopped hard the last two days on the net and phone, and may make a trip to MD and NC this weekend to test a few boats. Unfortunately I am looking at boats other than Donzi. The 26ZX does not meet my specific requirements including price (bang for the buck).

Thanks RickR for the advice.... I will have them RECHECK the alignment.

Bryan