PDA

View Full Version : criterion why such interest?

DUCATIF1
11-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Ok I do not want to get involved in starting any of the BS surrounding any of the boat sales I just have a question. Besides rarity is there any other aspect of the Criterion series that makes it so desireable? Is is an ultra quick Donzi? Better handling?? It seams that all of a sudden all of you guys want one when last year when I was on the board there was a red and tan that appeared to be rough sale? The seating arrangements are very different and maybe even very impractical? What is the special feature that makes it desirable?? Thanks and no I do not know where any are and I am not looking to buy one.

Cuda
11-28-2003, 05:52 PM
I think the Criterion II has the most perfect lines of any boat I've ever seen. Throw in the rarity factor, and you can see why I am looking. :)

rustnrot
11-28-2003, 06:14 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines as DUCATIF1 also. Furthermore, you mention a Criterion II. I trust there is such a thing as a Criterion 1? Maybe I need a course on Criterion 101 to know the differences. OK, I'm ready for class.

Scott Pearson
11-28-2003, 06:23 PM
I guess things run in sperts. A while back the boat of choice and one that was saught after was the Bench Seat Hornet. Must be that "old race look" Or to be different when you pull into a dock.

Its a totally different animal driving a Bench Seat Hornet and a Criterion...even more so a Criterion II. There is so much bow in front of you that you loose the horizon for a bit. Its a weird feeling to say the least. 22,18 and 16 classics are not like this. Or any other Donzi for that matter.

I guess its like me owning my old panhead. It has no battery, All magnito run, kick start,Jockshift, foot clutch. Rigid frame, 22 inch ape hangers and open belt primery....Its a bitch to drive and not very practical...but ITS COOL AS HELL!!!!!

See where I'm getting at??? It all has to do with "The Cool Factor" :D :D Gotta love it!!!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearpan001.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearpan002.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearpan003.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearpan004.jpg

(NJ)Scott

Speed-Racer
11-28-2003, 08:10 PM
They are just an awesome boat :D , a true classic, and not to mention a rarity.

My personal favorite, Randy's Criterion "Damn DONZI". The split windshields give it it's own personality from a windshield of a 22' or that of an SS or II. Even though Criterions may have the same hull, the ride, at least in Randy's, feels much better. It must be the weight distribution?

It's awesome to out run a 22zx, a 26zx, and a 33zx in the Criterion.... eek!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Like Scott said, it's the cool factor. Anytime you have a two-seater version of something, it's much, much cooler than the four seat version of what may be, in all repects, the same animal. ie; AMX = cool, Javelin = yawn, yet they're basically the same car. You see?
Special models of almost anything are almost always cooler than the normal production models. How many Buick GSXs, Hurst Olds, Superbirds and Daytona Chargers, Shelby Mustangs, AAR Cudas, etc. running around today are real and how many are clones? I bet you'd be surprised. Why would so many "restorers" alter their cars to become something they're not? Because they're cooler that way, that's all.
Oh, and practicality is inversely proportional to the cool factor. The gearhead's universal dream is to run racecars on the street, yet once that dream becomes reality, the nightmare of reality shatters the dream because of the impractical nature of trying to make a machine work outside of the environment in which it was designed to perform, yet in popular culture, the dream persists. Why? Because it's cool. Cool needs no justification. Cool is its own justification.
As far as I can tell, the Criterion is the same hull as the 22' 2+3, just a lot less practical, but given the choice, my gut reaction will be to take the Criterion II every time. It has "the look".

FR :p

mattyboy
11-28-2003, 10:41 PM
The Criterion of any series is like having the home coming queen, Meg Ryan, and Pam Anderson
all at the same time, They behave nice, look good , and all have a wicked bad side to them..... If you don't get it you don't get it!!!! wink
but let's be pratical let's talk comfort and seating room take a run of the mill 16 then a Criterion
http://www.donzi.net/photos/crit1.jpg
and well it is just coool!!!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/crit2.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/crit3.jpg

Nice ride Scott!!! :D wink :D

Matty

McGary911
11-28-2003, 11:49 PM
I dont know if youve ever seen one in person. I had saved for a few years to get a 22 classic, but when i was ready, there happened to be a criterion for sale. The second i laid eyes on it, i whipped out the aluminum briefcase full of cash (an exaggeration, was more like a bank check). With that way back helm, raised rear deck, cool windshield, etc....just the coolest thing i ever saw. I'm still shocked how many big $$ boat guys (new cigs) stop me, in my old ass boat, to say how cool it is. this is from guys with 250+ in a 38' TG. The rarity does make it cool too. Several times ive been offered much more than i paid for it. Not for sale tho. :) I bought it to ride it.

BTW, im the one that ended up buying that creme and red one. Happy i did. Duc, youre from NY. If you ever make it down to the Jersey shore, drop me an email or give me a call. 732-485-3031. I'd be more than happy to take you for a spin.

As for the back stabbing crap that went on, that's a shame for sure. There's still 1 for sale at the Jersey shore, ive posted it in the for sale section (a while back). Just think the guy wants too mucy $$ for what it is.

Ed Donnelly
11-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Something about driving a boat from the back seat.Criterion 11 COOLEST of the 3. Impractical as hell.Criterion SS,a 11,but extra seating in front of the windshield. Not a boat to take out for the whole day,as,you can't stand or move around. Criterion, the most practical of the 3,you can stand,stretch,and move around. With all that deck in front of you,it feels like you are driving a 26' boat. I have a Criterion SS and I think the Criterion 11 is the COOLEST,but,with 3 kids and this is my only boat,the 11 was far too impractical.Since MadPoodle is rich and famous he has 2 Criterions(a 11 and a SS)BUT he also has standard Donzis too. Is my jealousy showing...Ed

Ed Donnelly
11-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Scott LOVE yor Harley.Good way to discribe the Criterion. I have a 2000 Softail. Great bike. Just like the other million out there. Put yours beside mine, and 1 out of a 100 will look at mine. And that 1,will be a fellow softail owner looking to see what I did to make mine a little different.(got to love electric starting)..Ed

goatee
11-29-2003, 12:29 AM
i think that the boat you saw for sale was mccgary's. the "big deal" about that whole thing was, the fact that the thread, ie:(the boat) was not sold ALOT faster.
as for the criterions, i didnt get it either, until i saw big grizz's at AOTH111. i never did get to ride in it (all my fault) and i am still not happy about that.
i showed him some video of himself and without a moments hesitation he pointed to the screen on my recorder and said,, "THAT'S ME, I'M FAST"!
maybe you had to be there but,,, it was pretty funny. :D :D :D

olredalert
11-29-2003, 08:15 AM
------So Mattyboy,,,,,,Who owns "Water Dog"?Is That a Conneticut reg. no.?????.......Bill S

BERTRAM BOY
11-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Bill,
Water Dog is my neighbor's boat.

I, like some of you, have been wondering why everyone is Criterion crazy.I have alot of seat time in that boat(probably about 60 hours). It's a great looking boat, handles pretty well (in my opinion, better than a newer 22) but it has EXTREMELY poor visibility. So much so that when it gets a little rough you lose the horizon. So I do find it a bit interesting that many that are so intent on having one, have never been in one.

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Cuda
11-29-2003, 09:24 AM
BERTRAM BOY:

So I do find it a bit interesting that many that are so intent on having one, have never been in one.

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D I've never been in a Lamborgini Countach either, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it! :)

Last Tango
12-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Ahhh, the old Lamborghini Countach love thing. Lusting for a Lambo is EXACTLY like lusting for Sharon Stone (10 years ago). Ya definitely are in for a one nighter, but being married to her every day is a real bitch. No difference. I've never owned a Criterion, Randy loves his, but his boat seems to be pretty high maintenance over the last few years. LOTS of similarities here.

Rootsy
12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
mark,

anything that makes those kinda power numbers is high maintenance... granted a bit less with the supercharger than a N/A motor though...

and as a hull gets older and has BIG power put through it, things age and wear and get weaker... YOU CANNOT DEFEAT MOTHER NATURE ON EVERY FRONT!

the crit is different i like it kinda, but i am not in love with it... i prefer the MUCH less practical corsican wink ... too bad i didn't get the opportunity to ride in randy's Crit in kentucky though... frown

olredalert
12-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Jamie,

------You can ride in my Corsican anytime its warm enough,pal!!!!!It may even have a few surprises for everyone around here next spring!...........Bill S

mphatc
12-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Do tell Bill . . .

just what are you doing to C54-18 ????

Curious and inquiring minds want to know!

Are you raising the ante?

MPHATC
with a Corsican in a pile of pieces . . God help me, what have I done????

12-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Cuda:
I've never been in a Lamborgini Countach either, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it! ) [/QB]Yeah, on the right road, with the right traffic (little to none), in the right weather, you'd love it. But if you were forced to commute to work in it, you grow to hate it rather quickly.
My Pantera is an exercise in frustration until I can get it out of the city, and by then I've had enough of the noise. By the time I get it back home, I just want to slam the garage door closed and not look at it for a week.

Ed Donnelly
12-06-2003, 05:00 AM
Thank your lucky stars you are able to get it out of the city before it boils over. A Pantera and Criterion owner.. Does this mean I am a glutton for punishment?..Ed

BigGrizzly
12-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Rootsy, Since I have both a Criterion and a Corsican I can honestly tell the Criterion is more practical. Not necessarly more fun! Someone mentioned the Classic 22 has more room, this is simply not true. I have the same amount of usfull floor space- key word is usefull. I also have more accessable storage than a Classic 22 except for Woodsy's outboard. If some has a doubt ask Tomahawk, Speed Racer or Bad tat.

Mark, as for high maintanance well I bought the boat 4 years ago and here it is : at 185 hours on the blower motor A inconel exhaust valve broke, and the lower unit cracked a tooth (I was told that the sudden stop of the engine caused most of it)with 2 hours on the new motor the 21 year Merc trans slipped the clutches at Cumberland which could happen on the stock motor. Now I have put on a closed cooling system and a CMI exhaust to make it a salt water boat and and about 12 different props on it for testing. None of which is a maintainance item. Oh yea I did have to put on a new distributor cap and rotor because the old one cracked.

The best part of the Criterion is if you have 3 people they all ride together in stead of the Classic 2+1 set up where the lone ranger rides in the back seat and looks like an out cast. BB as for visability trimming the boat correctly cures that problem. as soon as the boat is on a plane the nose is never in the air unless I do something wrong or do it on purpose. When you drive a Criterion you Know what everon in the boat is doing so you can keep an eye on everything.

Ride: Since the hull upper chines are different than the 1982 and later classics. It is at least 300 pounds heavier and you ride furthur back it does ride better than your modern 22 Classic. I am not going to say I'm an expert, but I do have moer than 500 hours in one and have no intention on selling it in the nere future. I ame not going to say mine is like all of them this just isn't so! I will say in stock form It was one of the nicest boats I have ever owned. In its current form it IS the BEST boat I have ever owned.

Rootsy and Goatee if you want a ride just ask, I haven't been able to read minds since I was 40 years old. This is a one purpose boat and that is to look really cool. The problem is there were less than 29 of all three versons ever made. I know there are at least 6 you can't buy so 23 of you guys still have a chance!!!

Tomahawk
12-06-2003, 06:00 PM
I would agree with Randy. I have ridden in his boat several times. Compared to my 22 Classic, the visibility is an issue for a few seconds when getting up on plane. Other than that, it is not an issue. It is also a smoother ride in the back of his Criterion than in the front seat of my Classic. Ctiterion does seem to have significantly more useable space as well. AND IT'S COOL AS HELL! IMO. Congrats to those of you that have them.

12-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Ed Donnelly:
Thank your lucky stars you are able to get it out of the city before it boils over. A Pantera and Criterion owner.. Does this mean I am a glutton for punishment?..Ed Yup. You can always tell a Pantera driver in traffic. He's the guy who's always looking over his shoulder. He's not looking for the cops, no, he's checking to make sure the coolant supply tank isn't boiling over! :D