PDA

View Full Version : GIl or Stainless-help?

TORYSMINX
07-02-2001, 06:13 PM
I know that I have the word on the Stainless and that is great. I was wondering if the Gil system is worth the extra 400?

I was also wondering on the stainless if I need the extra long runners. They said they were extremly loud! The exhuast that they recommended at CCperformance was the ones with the shorter runners. the cam is under 223 duration.

These are the ones that I am considering:

Gil Wet Offshore System - S/B Chevy
Gil Marine Offshore Wet System is designed for hi-performance and stock engines. This system mixes and discharges exhaust gases with cooling water at the end of the exhaust pipe, and then a rubber hose connects up to your exhaust thru-hull ports. Custom pipes are also available for custom installations and are priced by measurements given. This same system is also used on Mercury hi-performance 525SC and HP500 engine packages as standard equipment from Mercury Hi-Performance.
This item can be found on page [2] of our new 2001 catalog.

Our Price: $1,895.00

------------------------------------------

Small Block Hi-Torque System -Offshore

This system is for the all out performance boat that has 300 plus horsepower. The risers are custom built and go thru the transom for maximum horsepower. Keep in mind these custom pipes are very loud.

This item can be found on page [6] of our new 2001 catalog.

Our Price: $1,895.00

these are the ones that they said were real loud!

------------------------------------------

want to go to these ones if you guys think they are ok. Will these be ok

Product Specifications:

Part No. : 520-SM350-KXL Category Brand Name
Exhaust Systems - Offshore Stainless Marine
Small Block Hi-Torque System - Extra Long Riser

This system is for small blocks with 300 hp and over. The risers are custom built to line up to your exhaust port or to clear any accessory on the transom of your boat. This allows uses of a stainless exhaust port hook-up with rubber exhaust hose.

This item can be found on page [6] of our new 2001 catalog.

Our Price: $1,649.95 Qty:

I know that I have killed this topic but just want to make sure before i lay down my hard earned cash. Thanks for everything and hope to see you at the lake winni run!

Tory

FASTEDDIE
07-02-2001, 07:51 PM
Tory,
What size is your engine,what is your decibel reading now and what decibels are you hoping for after you make your purchase?

------------------
FASTEDDIE

Tim Howland
07-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Tory,

Go with the Stainless set-up. It, and they as a Company are wicked quality. As I had posted earlier, I had my 4" angle tips re-flapped in March, and just in case our green seal bretheren do not like the sound I drilled and the tips so that the CP silencers can be slipped in. There is a lot louder stuff on Winni then mouses running the high torque set-up. I look forward to seeing you at the poker run on the 28th!

All good,
Tim.

BigGrizzly
07-02-2001, 09:26 PM
Go with the stainless, Gill arn't any better. Stainless has a good or better quality as any on the market. I know Brownie won't brag, but the man is a real quality type guy, and won't sell any thing he doesn't feel is type "A" stuff.

Randy

TORYSMINX
07-02-2001, 09:42 PM
Thanks Tim and Big grizzly

Tim do you have the extra long runners? I will try to get the silencers for my girlfriend's sake, after a while she says I cannot hear her from the noise. That is good and bad, the good being that I do not hear the words " slow down!"

I just got the victor jr intake and I am getting it port matched next week and the heads are almost done getting the porting and polishing. The cam comes back from grinding next week so I am getting closer.
Cryogenics is done also with the nickel block.

Next comes the internal balancing and then I have to get a new distributer and it looks like I will go with the billet. I do not know my decibals now but I am sure it will be louder with this exhuast. Its only money and what else could I spend it on....

I will keep you guys posted and thanks again

[This message has been edited by TORYSMINX (edited 07-02-2001).]

Tim Howland
07-03-2001, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TORYSMINX:
Thanks Tim and Big grizzly

Tim do you have the extra long runners? I will try to get the silencers for my girlfriend's sake, after a while she says I cannot hear her from the noise. That is good and bad, the good being that I do not hear the words " slow down!"

I just got the victor jr intake and I am getting it port matched next week and the heads are almost done getting the porting and polishing. The cam comes back from grinding next week so I am getting closer.
Cryogenics is done also with the nickel block.

Next comes the internal balancing and then I have to get a new distributer and it looks like I will go with the billet. I do not know my decibals now but I am sure it will be louder with this exhuast. Its only money and what else could I spend it on....

I will keep you guys posted and thanks again

Tim Howland
07-03-2001, 05:14 PM
Tory,

From the end of the ninety out of the top of the high torque manifold, I have approximately 10" of 4"od straight pipe, 14" of 4"od exhaust hoses, they hook up at a slight pitch to the stainless angle tips. My MINX is an '87, it all fit without any mods to the transom. If you are building a 383, the thing should scream.
Grizz is right, I have spoken to Brownie at Stainless, he is outstanding. Good luck,

All good,
Tim.

TORYSMINX
07-03-2001, 10:38 PM
Ok its off to Brownie this week for the exhuast. Tim mine also is an 87 with the straight pipes out the back(no curves). I will let you know how this thing works out. I cannot wait to let her rip on winni and take care of some unsettled buisness with some Baja's. That is if the drive holds..