PDA

View Full Version : Bad Tat Update

Bad-Tat
09-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Well Eufala folks, it wasn't the power steering hose. After filling it with nice new pink stuff and running for about 10 min I finally got some fresh leak. Seems one of the seals on the power steering ram is out. Nice burbling action going on back there where you can't see it. Not a whole of of room back there. Hopefully I can get to things when the manifolds are off.
So now the decision is replace the stock? or go for the wow factor of external steering so I can keep up with the Fast 4!!!

HP 600SC
09-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Bill, sorry to hear that...is the power steering ram/rack the same as the current style
used on the alphas and the bravos?
Ted

ToonaFish
09-08-2002, 12:00 AM
The only thing I'd change about the Tat, other than her registration (to me!), would be to add external steering. Take it as a sign from Aronow above... it is no coincidence that it went out just as you were pondering the upgrade. She's a handful and enhanced manuverability can only make her even more fun to run. How long did it take Roadtrip to install his?

Bunches,

Celene 'the peanut gallery'

Bad-Tat
09-08-2002, 07:00 AM
Ted,
I think it is the same style as current. It does have the Morse hydraulic helm hooked into it. Haven't found the ram on any web parts listings yet.
The problem with external rams is the stern end of the rams is smack in the middle of the K planes! Only have 7.25" from the gimbal housing to the inner side of the plane mount. All the external rams want from 11.25 to 14.25". Still doing research on that problem.

HP 600SC
09-08-2002, 07:56 AM
Bill, Latham marine makes a 7" external steering
ram. That is what I found was the only one that
would work with trim tabs, k-planes or bennett's.
Todd and I both have the 7" rams....that is the only option.

Greg Maier
09-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Is there any way you could provide a picture of your steering setup? I'm in the same situation as Bad Tat.

HP 600SC
09-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Greg, my camera got wet but I know there is a photo of it on the registry. I will get one up
when I buy a new camera.
Ted

blackhawk
09-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Bill, WPM also makes a short ram and a wing plate that allows you to stay above and inside the K-planes. Ted, I know you don't like WPM but it seems to be a great system. I would tell you how great it has worked but I don't want to jinx myself! :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/elgas0902026.jpg

HP 600SC
09-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Bill, I cant argue with sucess!!,
That is one BAD ASS boat.....gotta love those
counter rotating props!!!
Yellow is my favorite Donzi color too!!
Ted

blackhawk
09-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Now I just have to figure out how to make it faster!

Bad-Tat
09-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Guys, Thanks for all the input. I was trying to get a system that would keep the transom end of the rams in line with the gimbal pivot so the rams wouldn't be trying to shorten when trimmed up like Randy's system. May be moot point as don't trim up much when running. Only when going on the trailer then pump is shut off. Just have to figure how much hemorage the xchequer can handle!!! I just got SM manifolds and closed cooling heading my way! As Blackhawk said BOAT!!!

BigGrizzly
09-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Bill, Keith Eikert makes a set like your looking for called the space saver. Call them and ask for Bret Mays. He designes them and use to work for Marine Machine.

Randy, owner of Donzis since 1966

blackhawk
09-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Bill, good point on the rams shortening up. I haven't really had a problem with mine but I too don't really have to trim up much. But that is something to consider.

roadtrip se
09-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Bill and Greg,

Here is the picture:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsomerville30.jpg

Not much real estate back there to work with to say the least!

I researched a bunch of systems. And it came down to marine machine and latham, the two you see most on the back of race boats.

Marine Machine didn't make short enough rams.

Latham got the decision for these resons:
-- Seven inch rams as Ted said.
-- Pivot point is at the gimbal for strength.
-- I really like how their wing plate mounting system works on the bravo extending the turn point and very strong.

Latham quotes retail to the public, but will give a dealer/rigger a break, so go through a third party to get your prices.

Latham has worked with Blackhawk Classics and has a wing plate already designed for this application.

Installing any steering in a Classic is not for the light of heart. I spent a lot of time scratching my head and eyeballing, before ever drilling a hole.

One other major consideration. Your helm! I wanted to preserve the teleflex look and provide the strength needed for the new helm unit. Came up with a nifty piece machined out of aircraft aluminum that fits inside the teleflex bezel utilizing the old mounting points. End result is a flush surface to drill for your new helm unit
with plenty of strength. I'll post pictures, if I can find them.

Todd

CDMA
09-09-2002, 11:56 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/transnsch.jpg

Ted you don't need no stinking camera...I got it!

Chris

Bad-Tat
09-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Well talked to all the companies that make the external setups and looks like the Eikert setup will fit and keep the rams inline with the gimbal bearings. Are they worth the mega $$ difference between replacing the stock setup and the wow/safety factor of the external rams? Got lots of parts sitting here today with the SM manifold boxes and the closed cooling system boxes. And here I'm leaving Thurs for 2 weeks.

BERTRAM BOY
09-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Roadtrip,
Can you tell us more about this "nifty piece machined out of aircraft aluminum that fits inside the teleflex bezel" ? Thanks
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

roadtrip se
09-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Geez Poodle, how do you really feel about Eikert?

Didn't I send you pictures of my helm plate?
If so, could you post them for Bertram Boy?

I'm on the road until next Friday. I'll put something up then, if Poodle doesn't beat me to it.

Thanks,

Todd

BigGrizzly
09-11-2002, 12:25 AM
I know why Poodle feels that way, not the product but the man. Mostly on his side, but my boat takes priority. Bill, the pieces are good quality, and Bret does know what he is doing. They are as good as any bodies and better than most. Only you can make the $$$$ worth determination. My wife likes mine for the safety and steering feel.

Randy, owner of Donzis since 1966

Bad-Tat
09-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Well guys,
After much thought, measuring and digging have decided to do the full hyd steering. Going to do the Brett Mays space saver as that one will actually fit between the gimbal and planes mount in line with the pivot point. Going to get pretty crowded behind the y pipe with those fittings if I go with the fitting in bracket. Still deciding on that one. Sure hurts to put a drill on that transom!!!