PDA

View Full Version : An Amazing Discovery!

harbormaster
09-07-2002, 06:59 PM
I get yellow stains on the boat when I am in the water over half a day. I tried removing them from the transom with star bright but it did not work. I tried all kinds of cleanser, softscrub, you name it. I finally wet sanded half my transom with 600 grit, starbrited it and then used a cleaner wax.

Today I was cleaning the painted aluminum wheels on my car with my McGuires Hot Rims Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner. You spray it on your wheels and let it sit for 15-20 seconds. You hose it off and the wheels look awesome.

Just for grins I sprayed the the other half of my transom that still had stained Gelcoat. I let it sit and then hosed it off. To my amazement and surprise, It completely removed all the stains without having to touch or scrub!!!!
My wheels have plastic emblems so I felt it would not hurt my Donzi Stickers. It did not.
You gotta try this.

Once again it is
"McGuires Hot Rims Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner" in the purple bottle

Donzi Blackhawk
09-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Hello Scot,

Great info, I hope you post this finding in the technical archives under cleaning/detail. It will prove to be good for future referance. Hey, you never told anyone if you fixed you battery draining problem.

Bryant

harbormaster
09-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Nope, Have not even addressed it yet. I was looking for my multimeter and just found it yesterday. I will probably mess with it tomorrow between rains.

Dino
09-07-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi Scott
Thanks for the hint. Just make sure the wheel cleaner does not have lye in it.
I know there are several that clean well but really are not good for the wheels and I am pretty sure not good for the gel coat.
Porsche and Ferrari warn about using the wrong ones.
Hope your weathering the storm .
Dino

harbormaster
09-08-2002, 05:27 AM
I Had called McGuires and told them that they were 5 spoke silver painted BMW wheels. The Mcguires rep said it would work fine on these wheels. And it does work well on the wheels. i have been using it for 6 months on them.

RH
09-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Harbormaster, I had tried several products and came down to the old toilet bowl cleaner that worked best for me. I buy the $2.69 hydrochloric acid 23% formulation at the hardware store, and apply it to a sponge pad and wipe on the area of the hull to be cleaned. Then wash off with soap and water and apply a wax afterwards. This has really saved me some time and the results have been fantastic. You do want to be careful and watch it closely as to not get burn the gel coat. Sometimes I use a second application if it is really a nasty stain.
RH

WarPath137
09-09-2002, 10:00 AM
try using y-10 that stuff usually works great for getting those yellow stains off the hull :D

HyperDonzi
09-09-2002, 07:41 PM
not for gelcoat, but the meguiars tire polish gel is amazing. armoral a tire and it is gone i a few days, gel the tire and it looks nicer for more than a week.

Last Tango
09-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Harbormaster,
Come on, already! This is a family website. We KNOW you love your Donzi, but really...yellow stains when you are on the boat more than half a day!?! You Texans! Waaay too much info here Harbormaster! :D

komikazee
09-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Harbormaster,
I use The Works Tub & Tile cleaner on mine, works great! It's made to be used on gel coated tubs & showers. Gets the alge stains out then rewax.

Tracy

FASTEDDIE
09-09-2002, 08:18 PM
Harbormaster,you might think this is funny but I found that Orange jello with Macadamine nuts works unbelieveable to remove heavy green algae stains. Every fall my wife makes two big bowls when I am taking the boat out for the season. Put the Jello on the end of a long stick with a bath towel . Make sure you nail the bath towel on the stick but make sure the nail is flush so you don't scratch the hull. Spray the hull first with hot water then cold water and rub the jello and nuts all over the hull. Sometimes I let it sit on the outdrive over night if the Anodes are corroded. Do not do this on grass because Jello will kill your grass. Do not do this over blacktop or concrete either . Don't let your pets out when doing this and if coyotes are in your neighborhood make sure you rinse the ground throughly. Let me know how it works for you.

Scott Pearson
09-09-2002, 08:26 PM
I will never eat Jello again....

(NJ)Scott

harbormaster
09-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Oh Yeah eddie
Thats funny, I vaguely remember you telling me that is how Priscila got the skidmarks outa Elvis' shorts.

BigGrizzly
09-10-2002, 07:21 AM
Now you tell me.Right after I bough the stuff by 3M for 9 bucks. BTW it works well on the boat and the car wheels too. I now have both. ets see Meguires on the boat and 3M on the wheels. Oh yea the other way.

Randy, owner of Donzis since 1966 (not done yet)

Rick
09-11-2002, 02:16 PM
I don't know if it hurt anything, but I used plain Clorox bleach straight to remove oak stains from my gelcoat. Worked like a champ. Rick

harbormaster
09-11-2002, 03:50 PM
I tried the clorox bleach trick before and it did not work on the stains I was dealing with. I soaked some paper towels and stuck them to the hull where the stains were. I let them set for about 10 minutes. No Luck!