PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat color matches

mphatc
11-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Curious, how accurate are the color matches from Mini-Craft?

Also, my 1969 Corsican , baby blue? . . is that color known as Barbado Blue?

TIA,
MPHATC

Greg
11-25-2003, 08:07 AM
I have a color chart from '66. On it the light blue is listed as "Meridian Blue". (VF 201) It says the colors and fiberglass was done by a company called FERRO. Hope that helps.

oldLenny
11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
FERRO is still around and making gelcoats. They are even available here from the larger suppliers. As for the "old" mix, your best bet is to have a colour match done (photo spectro-analysis) and go from there.

Remember, that even with the same gel-coat, same can etc, you can mix two separate batches and get different levels of tone. It has everything to do with ...gel time, catalyst levels, ambient temperature, pot time and application.

A colour MATCH from a supplier would be dependent on MEKP, room temperature and mix ratio. 1 - 1 1/2 per cent. There are no guarantees that you can match what they supplied you with to match. Uncured gel is a different colour than cured.

You will be "close" tho.

Donzigo
11-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Minicraft did a fine job for me. You need to tell them the age of the boat, sun exposure, etc. and even then it's an educated guess. The person then makes slight changes to the tint when it's applied. Even the, it won't age the same as the spot next to it.

But, Mincraft is good. I met the owner, nice guy.

Richard