PDA

View Full Version : Small block headers

MOP
11-19-2003, 10:50 PM
I really like the design plus light wieght of this header, does anyone know anthing about them?

http://www.marrsproducts.com/index.html

MOP
11-20-2003, 07:03 AM
The aluminum does not bother me I know it does some, but our drives and exhaust housings are of aluminum and last for years even on boats left in the salt water. S/S is excellent but is quite a bit heavier. These according to the dyno make more HP due to the tube length. Even if they were cast Iron I would be interested, they are as close to tube headers as one can get. No question I also think they are pricy.

Walt. H.
11-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Definitely looks like a great performer due to the riser design is more like a true header collector, I also like the weight savings too. As far as the price I bet it could be had for less if its available through an after market performance parts warehouse supplier. Or if this group could solicit "Marrs products" for a multi item Donzi club discount?

Looks like a very good find Phil !!

Walt, :)

MOP
11-20-2003, 10:02 AM
I have mailed back and forth to a couple of others on the board and friends there is decent interest. I mailled Mars this AM about a volume discount, hope to hear back with positive results.

Phil

Rootsy
11-20-2003, 10:47 AM
heck,

i'd be tickled pink to see dyno results publicly posted for SM, imco, EMI, etc vs stock mercruiser stuff... see a lot of comparisons for the BBC but NOTHING for the sbc... at least publicly released... MARRS is the first i've seen...

and i dont truly believe these (Marrs) numbers either... there are too many unnamed variables...

in product comparisons a company is going to do everything they can to gain the slightest edge... yet keep the test scenario reasonable enough to snow all of those but the brightest individuals... if there is a distinct difference for marked improvement it'd be a solid selling point for their product...

GEOO
11-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Phil,
Stainless Marine makes Alum. Manifolds. I've had great luck with mine. http://www.stainlessmarine.com/
They do not advertise the power gains.

MOP
11-20-2003, 03:41 PM
The quality of the Imco, SM and EMI's is in no way questioned. But I do not see them running equal length tubes, I feel this is an important factor. I had a header pipe break at a weld making it about 10 inches instead of the 31 inches my Gimmy liked. Did not have time time fix between runs saw slower speed and time, some of that may have been me. But when fixed for finals it all came back up. It made me an even firmer believer in equal tube length. The S/S tube headers are extremely expensive way out of my reach plus they seem to develope cracks.

MOP
11-20-2003, 04:27 PM
I know what you mean by trial and error, the last foot of my home made headers had a bunch of additions welded and some cut off on till it finally ran good. When I got out of the service I could afford to buy store bought headers, waht a treat! Another thing I tried when I ran super stock was brazing 1/4 nuts 1 inch away from the header flanges and drilling them to let cold air in, it did make a bit of difference. I simply put short 1/4 ich screws in for running on the street. I picked that trick up from reading about it, if I remember correctly Smokey Robinson did it on his stock cars, they made do away with the holes. I am pretty sure I will try a set of the Marrs next season, let me get it running right first that will give me a base line.

olredalert
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
MOP

--------I thought Smoky Robinson was a singer.You thinking of Smoky Yunick,maybe?That idea sounds like something Yunick would come up with..........Bill S

MOP
11-20-2003, 06:03 PM
With my memeory I should have said Smokey somebody, not sure was about 1967.

Walt. H.
11-21-2003, 12:18 AM
Yes sir-ri!
That was Smokey Yunick!, with his trade mark small western hat and his white coveralls with the logo on his back saying: "The best Dam Garage in town." God rest his soul he pasted on about a year and a half ago. He made more magic with a small block Chevy then "Bill grumpy Jenkins" did and Bill was great wizard at it too.

olredalert
11-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Walt,

-------Bill J is still kickin butt.Got to know him several years ago and he is a good guy,with no plans for retirement.
-------I would have to say that you are correct,that Yunick was more of a visionary.Who else would have thought to build a 9/10s scale Chevelle for Nascar in 1966!!!!!!!!Some of the ideas rolling around in his head were truly unbelieveable............Bill S

krakmeup
11-21-2003, 09:28 AM
M.O.P. - keeep me in this loop, I am interested in possibly getting a set from Marrs, I could pull the trigger quickly if you secured a deal, talk to me.

GEOO - SM's website didn't point me to any info on Aluminum manifolds, can you shed some more light? Thanks.

Keith

GEOO
11-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Keith,
Enter web site and pick Manifolds, on the list to the left of your screen. Here's a direct link to Small block Chevy manifolds http://www.stainlessmarine.com/smallblock.html

MOP
11-21-2003, 04:47 PM
So far I have sent two E-Mails to Marrs, in the second I said I was a member of the Donzi Net witha large membership. If I do not get a response by tomorrow I will give them a call. Sure would be nice to hear fom someone that knows of them and thier product.

Walt. H.
11-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Bill,
I remember reading about the story of that 66' Chevelle, it looked perfect until you compared it side by side to a legit chevelle, that was the start of using templetes by nascar I guess. When Nascar found 17- rule violation with that car Smoky jumped into the car pi$$ed off started it up and drove away with the fuel tank still on the ground Yelling make it 18!! :D eek! :D He ran some large hidden fuel lines in through the roll cage for that extra edge of fuel milege. :rolleyes:

olredalert
11-23-2003, 09:52 AM
-----Wouldnt you have loved to be there and seen Smokey do that?..........Bill S

Walt. H.
11-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Sure enough!!!!!
Its like the words in that song by Johnny Paycheck telling his boss: "Take this Job and shove it"! :mad: :D

I'd bet even money there was more Nascar didn't find, and it was Smoky's way of letting them know they weren't as good at their job as they thought they were! wink :p wink

olredalert
11-24-2003, 01:25 PM
------Seems to me I remember that Chevelle being down in Pigeon Forge at Floyd Garretts Musclecar Museum.Would love todays Nascar inspectors to reinspect.HA...........Bill S

MOP
11-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Can't get hold of these guys by E-mail or phone, anyone live near Maple Grove MN? Would like to check this place out.