PDA

View Full Version : USCG Capacity Plates

RedDog
11-19-2003, 09:59 PM
I have been wondering about legal capacities and tried some non-defintive web searches. How many people can legally ride in a 22 Classic? Capcaity plate says 5, but regulations seem to say that a capacity plate is only required for vessels < 20 feet. The information I found also states that in the event there is no capacity plate, then the rule of thumb is: lenght X width divided by 15 or around 30 people on my 22 - that is not going to happen, but can I legally carry a total of 6 even though the plate says 5? If there is a rule of thumb, then what is the regulation - thumbs and regulations don't mix in my world.

Tidbart
11-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Your math is off a little. Your rule of thumb says 10 people. wink

You ask a good question that I don't specifically know the answer to. I would imagine if the CG pulled me over in boat with seating for 5 and a plate that says 5 max., they would be less than happy with me if I had 10.

B :D

MOP
11-20-2003, 07:22 AM
The plates say a weight or person limit, hell since I am so skinny I can carry at least two more people :D

Surfer
11-20-2003, 07:29 AM
My plate says five people or 800 lbs. that makes the math easy.

MOP
11-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Hey that equates to a boat load of bikini clad maidens, I should be so lucky! :D :D

Walt. H.
11-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Phil/MOP,

As long as there not the iron maiden's! eek! :D

Walt, :)

BOATMON
11-23-2003, 06:08 AM
RedDog,

Go ahead and load your boat. wink There is no rule regarding the maximum number of persons you may have aboard a recreational boat. The capacity plate is a "manufacturer" requirement. The specific rules can be found in 33CFR183 subpart C and do apply to vessel less than 20 feet. The formula you mentioned is what is used as a "rule of thumb" to aid in the determination of overloaded condition.
If a Coast Guard boarding officer believes the load of the boat creates an unsafe condition they may use that formula to aid in the clear articulation of the condition which would lead to "termination of use". However if an enforcement officer attempts to mandate an operator comply with a capacity plate with regard to passengers or engine horsepower regardless of lenght, they do not know the law and I recommend you smile, accept the ticket and then write a very nice appeal letter to the hearing officer and CC the Boarding Officers command.

Cheers,
Brad

anotherScott
11-23-2003, 08:10 AM
I often load my family of six into our 18'donzi for a spin down the river after dinner. Have been stopped several times for speeding too close to shore(according to them, I don't agree).....but never for overloading! My brother being a Major in the New Jersey State Police didn't help either. One cop told me I don't care who your brother is, and gave me a tongue lashing anyway. I think he was bored, there were only about 4 of us out on the river at that time. :D

Scott