PDA

View Full Version : How would you repower a 30' and info on bravo transom template

Bandit
11-20-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm toying with the idea of repowering my 1989 30' Donzi Black Widow. It currently has OMC, 460's and King Cobras. I'd like to change to Merc's and bravo's.

I have a good price on a complete strip and gelcoat with new transom.

I need a cutout pattern for twin bravo's which are on the 1990 30'. Anybody know where I can get this?

Next would be the repowering. I'm looking at Bravo I's and at least 502's. I'd like to spend in the middle range and get a good reliable ride. I've surf the net and found complete packages but I'm not sure if this would be the best way to go.

Finally, I'm looking to redo the control panel. Can I get a panel with the needed gauges in a harness which runs to the back?

If I plan to have it ready for AOTH III I need to get this process in motion so all suggestions are appreciated.

Woodsy
11-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Bandit...

I would seriously consider selling your boat before I would sink that kind of cash into it. The re-power alone, 2 motors/transom plates/drives will run you close to $20K... thats going the used route. 5K for the motor, 2K for the transom plate and 3K for the drive. Then there is the rest of the nickel & dime stuff, controls, re-rig of the electronics, if you go fuel injection, you'll need pumps etc... If your 460 fords are running fine, and your King Cobra's are fine, I would just leave them be. 460 Fords are easy to find, and the King Cobra is a great drive, fairly bulletproof. You will see only minimal performance gains swapping the OMC for Merc. Then add in your cost for the re-gel. You would be sinking close to $30K into a $25K boat. When you are done, it will still be worth $25K..

Choose wisely...

Woodsy Von Re-Power

Bandit
11-20-2002, 02:40 PM
You've got a good point Woodsy. But I figure the amount to upgrade and what I have in it still wouldn't compare to buying a new 30'. Plus, I'll be able to sell most my old parts to my mechanic.

I like the way this boat takes that waves and its looks. I'm not into this venture to make money, just bring an old Donzi back to life and my plans will be to keep it for sometime and maybe even get up to Winni to visit your clan.

It will be getting re-geled know matter which way I end up going and I thought it would be a good time to consider repowering.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Keep it! She looks good every year at AOTH behind your houseboat!
Repower, cut no expense (500's etc) new drives and she will last an easy 10 more years.

TAX TIPS is a pretty boat!
Good luck
Bryan

BigGrizzly
11-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Keep the boat I'm not sure if the drives are really any better, just parts are more readially available as are props. Ibeleive the bolt pattern is the same.

Woodsy
11-21-2002, 06:58 AM
Bandit...

If you really aren't concerned about the money aspect, then go for it! You are right, its ALOT cheaper than a new 30+ footer. I don't know if I would go through the hassle or a Merc Repower, unless I could get a really good deal on the packages with a warranty....

They are desparately trying to sell a new 33ZX up here on Winni for $120K twin HP-500's...

Woodsy Von Re-Power

jdsdls
11-21-2002, 07:23 AM
I am not 100 % sure but I think the OMC CObra to Bravo hole should almost be the same. I remembering reading somewhere they wanted to use the same bolt or hole patterns to keep the boat manufactures happy.

Bandit
11-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Thanks Bryan and hopefully you'll get your Donzi back the way you want it.

It will be a keeper I just need direction on which packages to purchase and where I can get them for a good deal. Madpoodle, BigGriz or anybody else have suggestions?

Big G that's the main reason I'm looking to change over is because of the availability of OMC parts in the future. I should probably hang on to my old parts for about 10yrs and they'll be as good as gold!

Woodsy, you'd look nice in that 33' with the Winni girls!

RedDog
11-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Then again you good just run the OMCs for another 10 years and keep the gold the Bravos will cost - new Bravos would be nice, but may not really be necessary.

Whatever - your boat is really beautiful!