PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out at top end 22zx !

Donzi22zx
09-04-2002, 10:36 PM
I had my 99 22zx (454 MAG EFI) out last monday night after the bad weekend we had weather wise. I had changed my spark plugs that day, I replaced my NGK V-Power UR5 plugs that were in the boat when i bought it for a set of MR43LTS. My boat ran so much better, it was like a different boat. It accerated better, and had better mid, and top end. I hit 71.8 on my Garmin 5 GPS with 3 people and a 3/4 tank of gas with ease. The only problem was that it would loose all power for a second or two, and pick right back up again. It felt like someone turned off the spark or fuel for a second, it did not do it all the time, only at top speed and it did it 3 times but only while at top speed. Anyone else have this problem, could it be water in gas, REV. limiter, plugs, too much trim or the prop. I was at the halfway mark on my Gaffrig II gauge. Thanks for any help you can add.

P.S. Frank Civitano can you send me pic of your seats and motor in your 22zx.
Thanks Bill

Rootsy
09-05-2002, 07:39 AM
you might want to check the reach on those LTS plugs... if i remember correctly from last spring the LTS have a lot longer thread (reach) than the T and TS plugs... which doesn't let the plug seal against the taper in the cylinder head.

RICPAZ
09-05-2002, 08:18 AM
It could be the rev limiter. Mine will cut out for a moment when it hits the rev limiter @ 5200 rpms.

Shanghied Again
09-05-2002, 09:16 AM
Sounds like the rev limiter, Bill I trying get my computer to except half of my programs again, As soon as I get my Camera and my scanner back up on line I will send them. I went from Millenum to XP, I should have stayed with 98.

TRU-JACK
09-05-2002, 11:33 AM
I've had the same problem, turned out to be a loose connection on a wire behind the ignition. Just tightened up the nut and every thing was back to normal. wink

Shanghied Again
09-05-2002, 12:58 PM
I forgot to ask the critical Question what was your RPM if you hit 5200 that was your rev limiter. short cut out!

RH
09-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Hey Guys, the same thing happens on my my 72' Hornet. 350 Chris Craft Corvette engine, 320 HP and high rise manifold. I have gone through the carb and ignition system and when I get her running at WOT, it will do the same thing. The boat does not miss a beat otherwise. My only thoughts are that the rev limiter as the original Teleflex Tach is reading 5000. I will have to check to see if this is reading correctly and check my timing again. I've owned boats all of my life and they all have their own personalities and idiosyncracies.
PS, I finally figured out the best way to start it, (pump the dickens out of it before I hit the key and it fires right off!)
RH