PDA

View Full Version : spinning out?

CDeal1
11-18-2003, 12:35 PM
What does it mean for a boat to "spin out" and how does one avoid that? I assume its only relevant to stepped hulls. I am in the market for a 22ZX with a 502c.u. Having never owned a Donzi before, I'd like to get some pointers ahead of time.

MOP
11-18-2003, 12:48 PM
I had asked that same quetion up here awhile back, the step hulls tend to do that if driven hard into turns. A guy that I feel is pretty knowledgeable about hull designs said the step airs the hull and makes it faster the same air makes it skittish in high speen manuvering. There are a ton out there with not to many bad stories, it to me is like all fast toys have fun but be carefull. Quite a few up here have step hulls they will chime in with thier feelings.

boldts
11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Talk to Frank Civitano! At AOTH I, I had the opportunity to listen both to a 22ZX owner who had spun his Donzi out and Frank explain why and how to avoid it in the future.

Many of us have always been taught to trim the drive in going into a turn with a vee bottom boat. This brings the hull's strakes back into the water and adds the grip a v hull needs to take a turn with-out skidding side-ways. On the slotted hulls, if you trim the drive in and thus put the step back into the water, it will catch like a hook and spin the boat. Frank's advice was to leave the drive trimmed out to keep the bow up and put the boat into the turn. This keeps the step from digging in and spinning the boat out.

Again, talk to Frank or Bryan Tuvell. They have both owned, driven, and spun-out a 22ZX. They'll be able to give you valuable info on how to avoid it in the future.

mattyboy
11-18-2003, 01:49 PM
a stepped hull can be driven hard in turns if the proper trim ( OUT keeping the nose up ) is applied, the step airs out making the ass end lite and if the nose digs in during a turn then causing a spin out( the nose stops and the ass end breaks loose doing a 180. Let's see if I can explain it trim up/out the nose is high then the stern is low keeping the back in contact with the water, if your trying to keep the nose down in rougher water and you trim down/in the nose is lower the stern is even or higher pushing the back away from the water that's when it can break loose
my ass lite 16 classic with all the stern lift from the prop I have spun it once not a good feeling you could feel the nose hit and well it was all over but the pissin thank god I was alone no one in the passenger seats would have been in the boat.This was from lack of expierence in the boat now I know better
as far as the 22zx many here have and have had very fast ones and can tell you of the boats handling ,Frank ,Bryan, Lil Grizz
good luck on the search

Matty

mjpcowboy
11-18-2003, 02:36 PM
I have never had a problem with a step hull. Just like anything else you have to watch at high speeds in turns. W/O a step you could never achieve the high speeds since Donzi ZX's are typically a much heavier boat than the competition thus giving you a much better ride overall. I personally would not go back to a standard V as I am very confident driving with steps. Just my $.02

Sam
11-18-2003, 03:56 PM
If we can get Bryan Tuvell to pipe in here he might have some insight on this issue.............Bryan are you out there.

Sam

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-18-2003, 07:40 PM
The 22ZX is a safe boat, when I spun mine I did not check my trim as I normally do, and I was doing about 45 to 50ish in front of my buddy's boat for a picture. Trim the drive up especially if it is a hard turn.
In the 26 we just make bigger turns and I don't worry about it, the bay is a big place to turn around. :)
Bryan

Shanghied Again
11-18-2003, 07:58 PM
The 22ZX is a good boat if handled well, Kepp your trim 1/4 to half in to a turn and you will have no problem. A step hull does not stick like a deep v so allow for a little wider of a turn. If you feel the boat is going to give trim her out further and let the boat air out. Dont get off the throttle when you feel like your digging. If you pull the throttle back she will spin out from the nose being forced in. The only time you are trimmed in is when your taking off after that you keep her trimmed out. The 502/415hp is an awesome motor, have respect for what your driving and just remember to take it easy until you get use to her. That boat will run in the 70s (Best of luck)